Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

1492: Conquest Of Paradise - a Paramount title - why the long wait for the DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Announced for release in Nov of 2004 and than mysteriously pulled from Paramount's release schedule with no reason given. Rumored earlier for release on DVD since 2000, so what exactly is the problem here with releasing a DVD for this film period? Anyone have a clue or care to figure out why? Why such a long wait for a film directed by Ridley Scott with such stars as Gerard Depardieu, Sigourney Weaver, Michael Wincott and Armand Assante and the score by Vangelis. Being about Christopher Columbus and the discovery of the new world and being gorgeously realized on celluloid, this is a must for release on DVD.

This has got to get a region 1 release and get discovered again. Long lost Ridley Scott treasure that needs a DVD.
Old 05-21-07, 01:44 AM

Already a thread on the topic :http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=452033
Old 05-21-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I know about that one, but this is for 2007 discussion and the whole name of the movie is in the title this time and the studios name. So this should be open for discussion if anyone wants to discuss.
Old 05-21-07, 02:03 AM

It's sort of a shame I got rid of my VHS copy many years ago thinking a DVD of this film would be a definite buy. Nowadays the only way I can revisit the film is through my mind with the help of the film's great soundtrack.

This is, what, the 15th year anniversary of the film? Ah well, atleast Paramount is giving special care to a big seller like A Night At The Roxbury in the meantime.
Old 05-21-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As mentioned in the previous thread, this movie occasionally makes the rounds on HDnet in, of course, HD. Looks decent enough. If you are equipped to record HDnet, or know someone who is, you could make your own DVD of it. In fact, I'm surprised Ebay doesn't have a bunch of boots from that source, all I see there are PAL editions and possibly some sort of ntsc korean version (from HK, but no chinese subs, just korean).
Old 05-21-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not airing on HDnet currently and I am not equipped or subscribed. I'd rather have a DVD made available to consumers for purchase/rental from it's studio Paramount. Going on a decade now since that studio started releasing DVD's from their catalogue, so something has got to give, especially since it was announced for release in 2004. This is a must own DVD imo for me and for alot of others.
Old 05-22-07, 09:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
one would suspect that all this delay is from Scott himself being personally involved in the creation of DVD Special Editions of his films - I would assume we'll see some new extras for the eventual release and possible multiple cuts of the films, since there was a American cut (which was shown on HDNet movies as such) a slightly longer International cut of the film, and the rumored/planned 4 hour 'new' cut.

Last edited by Giles; 05-22-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-22-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
I'd rather have a DVD made available to consumers for purchase/rental from it's studio Paramount.
If wishes were horses beggermen would ride.
Old 05-22-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
one would suspect that all this delay is from Scott himself being personally involved in the creation of DVD Special Editions of his films - I would assume we'll see some new extras for the eventual release and possible multiple cuts of the films, since there was a American cut (which was shown on HDNet movies as such) a slightly longer International cut of the film, and the rumored/planned 4 hour 'new' cut.
You would think, wouldn't you? that it's Mr. Scott himself. Still no excuse that the theatrical cut has not seen release on DVD and since that 2004 announcement nearly 3 years have passed. So if Ridley Scott wanted to make a SE of this and they at Paramount released the theatrical cut on DVD in 2004, I see no reason why given the length of time it would probably take for Scott to make a 4 hour cut of 1492 that Paramount didn't just release it right than and there to begin with. Is Ridley Scott still working with or having Charlie De Lauzirika create his DVD's? If so, they need to talk about this.

Maybe the Director figures he'd unearth a new 4 hour cut and was not happy with either how the theatrical or the international cut turned out.

I'd love to see what footage was not included since many think that the actual voyage itself seemed rushed. How would you make a 4 hour cut of this without having Vangelis score loop around the scenes like in both the theatrical and international cut? Hmmm.

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
If wishes were horses beggermen would ride.
Right on.
Old 05-22-07, 02:28 PM

You would think, wouldn't you? that it's Mr. Scott himself. Still no excuse that the theatrical cut has not seen release on DVD and since that 2004 announcement nearly 3 years have passed. So if Ridley Scott wanted to make a SE of this and they at Paramount released the theatrical cut on DVD in 2004, I see no reason why given the length of time it would probably take for Scott to make a 4 hour cut of 1492 that Paramount didn't just release it right than and there to begin with. Is Ridley Scott still working with or having Charlie De Lauzirika create his DVD's? If so, they need to talk about this.

Maybe the Director figures he'd unearth a new 4 hour cut and was not happy with either how the theatrical or the international cut turned out.

I'd love to see what footage was not included since many think that the actual voyage itself seemed rushed. How would you make a 4 hour cut of this without having Vangelis score loop around the scenes like in both the theatrical and international cut? Hmmm.

but if Scott has every intention of restoring a film to a supposed running time of 4 hours, the film's initial rough cut (240min+) would contain music cues that is exclusive to that version. beats me? ... the music and sound effects reintergration always seems to work itself out anyway.
Old 05-22-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
but if Scott has every intention of restoring a film to a supposed running time of 4 hours, the film's initial rough cut (240min+) would contain music cues that is exclusive to that version.
Not necessarily. Most movies are cut to temp tracks. The score is one of the last things to be completed, because it has to sync up with any last-minute changes to the length of scenes that the editors make.

Vangelis' score for Alexander was really butchered in the longer "Revisited" cut of the movie. Because so many scenes had been lengthened and they didn't have music to fit, they wound up looping a lot of cues, repeating tracks, and switching things around, and it doesn't have nearly the same majestic sweep as it did in the theatrical cut.

Last edited by Josh Z; 05-23-07 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-22-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie is really driven hardcore by Vangelis score, the music along with the visuals suggest certain things to the mind and senses, enhancing the scenes like a music video would, so I'd like to see a cut different from the theatrical and have both the directors cut and theatrical cut released when ever this get's a release from Paramount on DVD.
Old 05-23-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You would think, wouldn't you? that it's Mr. Scott himself. Still no excuse that the theatrical cut has not seen release on DVD and since that 2004 announcement nearly 3 years have passed.
How long have people been waiting for him to finish his re-cut of 'Blade Runner' and release it? And this is a much more obscure title than that.
Old 05-23-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
How long have people been waiting for him to finish his re-cut of 'Blade Runner' and release it? And this is a much more obscure title than that.
Very true, the theatrical cut should have been released in 2004, as planned, even had a UPC # and all (097363274247), so it was all ready to go. Your point is well taken, only god knows how long it may take Scott to finish the rumored 4 hour cut of this film. It would be nice to have that theatrical cut on DVD.
Old 06-05-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would love to see this released as limited 2-disc steelbook DVD. Question? Has Paramount ever released any of their DVD's in steelbook packaging before?
Old 06-06-07, 08:51 AM

Would love to see this released as limited 2-disc steelbook DVD. Question? Has Paramount ever released any of their DVD's in steelbook packaging before?
as far as I know - no...

this steelbook craze is getting out of hand, the studios will throw anything at the masses to get to rebuy a specific title... - jeesh, enough, I have little to no more space for steelbooks editions.