Haven't decided
41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Who's Getting Shadowrun May 29th?

Old 05-19-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who's Getting Shadowrun May 29th?

After reading,hearing,watching,and for those lucky few-playing(Beta) the hype,are you in for Shadowrun?
After hearing the talk on Xbox Live on DVDTalk Game Night(Friday,yesterday) I think I'm in. As matter a fact I have Shadowrun pre-ordered at Game Crazy(I have $57 down on it as of this afternoon). Who else is in on Shadowrun?
Old 05-19-07, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
It looks pretty intriguing -- I'll probably pick it up.

Someone around here (I forget who -- maybe xmiyux?) was a beta tester and had good things to say about it.
Old 05-19-07, 09:05 PM
RVP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on renting it first. It is in my Gamefly Q already.
Old 05-19-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PC player and not getting it. Besides having not having Vista yet, everything I have read and heard about it makes it sound way too slow ala Halo and Halo 2 on the PC. Oh also it isn't an RPG like it should have been. I could have at least accepted it if they went with a game Diablo or Titan Quest style.
Old 05-20-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If GameFly can get me a copy as soon as it is released I will probably keep the rental for a bit. My buddies and I still play Vegas a good bit and to be honest I think it will probably serve my needs pretty well until Halo 3. I am very interested in the game but I can't see spending that much on a game that might not get that much attention on Live.
Old 05-20-07, 02:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll try it before I buy it. It could be great or it could be awful.
Old 05-20-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't get into the beta - but i spent a ton of time reading everything about the game. I even pre-ordered it and have been ecstatic about it coming out. Then they announced a 60$ price point for the console version and 50$ for the PC and it went from an absolute must own to a rental.

Multiplayer only and basically being an experiment to kick off Vista Live and i find it kind of insulting it is full price. That being said if it is absolutely awesome i may pick up my pre-order.
Old 05-20-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I didn't get into the beta - but i spent a ton of time reading everything about the game. I even pre-ordered it and have been ecstatic about it coming out. Then they announced a 60$ price point for the console version and 50$ for the PC and it went from an absolute must own to a rental.

Multiplayer only and basically being an experiment to kick off Vista Live and i find it kind of insulting it is full price. That being said if it is absolutely awesome i may pick up my pre-order.
multiplayer only?
so therer is no single player campaign?
Old 05-20-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by timewaster
multiplayer only?
so therer is no single player campaign?
You can play bots.

Very few games are worth the $60 entry point in my mind. Shadowrun sounds like a $40 game to me. And it will be. In a year or two.
Old 05-20-07, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
$60 price point? Can I change my answer from "Yes" to "maybe"?

I searched the DVDTalk archive -- it was UncleGramps who played the beta. Here's what he said:

Well, having played Halo 2 multiplayer a grand total of 1 time, I can't comment of the party system or clan support.

The tutorials walk you through each race, so you can see how each one works. That tutorial level is the only experience I've had with the dwarves so far. Like everyone else, I'm favoring the elves at this point. I like their agility and ability to regenerate health. My play style is support - creating Trees of Life, reviving teammates, defending the base, and so on - and the elves seem well-suited to that. I'll probably try out the dwarves and humans later on, but I'll probably avoid trolls since I really don't like slow-moving characters.

As for the multiplayer, I tried it out Friday night and it was pretty enjoyable. It takes time getting used to the between round magic/tech purchasing, especially since I haven't played much Counterstrike. There's also an adjustment period for the controls, since you only have 3 slots for magic and tech. To use magic or tech that isn't assigned to a slot, you have to stop moving, hold down B, select the magic/tech in the wheel that pops up, then use the magic/tech by pressing the right trigger. Kind of awkward, but it gets easier with practice. The gameplay itself is straightforward capture the flag, although supposedly there's another mode they'll be adding before release. This is definitely a game where teamwork is key, so I think it will be more enjoyable if you have a clan or at least a group of friends to play with on a regular basis.

At this point, I'm leaning towards picking it up if it's $40 or less. If it's $50, I'd have to think twice, and if it's $60, forget it. Also, I've heard that there will be a public demo closer to release, so that's something to look forward to. The game is also discussed on this week's 1up podcast, and you can see it in action on The 1up Show (the video podcast).
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=113
Old 05-20-07, 12:00 PM

I would buy it if it was around $30, the fact that it's online only and has a fairly limited set of gameplay types, maps, and weapons has made me decide to not buy it when it's released.
Old 05-20-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
You can play bots.

Very few games are worth the $60 entry point in my mind. Shadowrun sounds like a $40 game to me. And it will be. In a year or two.
The thing is i actually think i would pay 60$ for a multiplayer only Halo 3 (although i would grumble about it) because it is a somewhat developed IP that has consistently had excellent multiplayer imo. Shadowrun is unproven and has has a somewhat rocky development. I want to enjoy it so bad but i refuse to be burned for 60$.

I think if they released it after the Halo 3 beta was done at 40$ it would sell like mad. It supposedly uses the Halo 2 style party system so everyone coming off of the Halo 3 high could slide right into Shadowrun and between that and Gears be set on action/shooters into the summer.

At 60$ i think they are completely screwing themselves on this title and sabotaging their own sales.
Old 05-20-07, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Multiplayer only? Change my answer to no. There are very, very few multiplayer only games I would pay even $30 for, let alone $60.
Old 05-20-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/level...disparity.aspx
Old 05-20-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
$60 price point? Can I change my answer from "Yes" to "maybe"?

I searched the DVDTalk archive -- it was UncleGramps who played the beta.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=113
Yeah, I still feel the same way now that they've announced the price point. I'm guessing that this game will drop to $40 very quickly. It's not mainstream enough to sell well at $60, so they'll probably do an MSRP drop after a few months. The other issue is that this game is really dependent on teamwork, which means that you probably want to have a few friends with the game so that you can build a solid team and work on strategies. At $60, it might be tough to find enough other people with the game. I might do what a few others here have stated and get it from Gamefly for a while. When it hits $40, I'll probably pick it up if enough people on my friends list have it.

Also, Microsoft's justification for the $10 premium on the 360 version seems to be "because we can get away with it". There's no valid reason to price it that way, and I think it'll hurt them in the end.
Old 05-20-07, 04:14 PM
Banned by request

Especially when a game like Earth Defense Force, which got some very good reviews and has single player AND multiplayer, is coming out at $40.
Old 05-20-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One thing I think Sony is doing right is releasing multiplayer only games like Warhawk and the new Socom. In the case of Warhawk you can even download it. The pricing seems like it will be cheaper too, probably $30 or at most $40.
Old 05-21-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i won't be picking it up right away if it's $60, unless I was really hard-up for a new title, which I don't believe will happen