Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mexican Directors Ink $100M Studio Deal (Pan's Labyrinth, Babel, Children of Men)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mexican Directors Ink $100M Studio Deal (Pan's Labyrinth, Babel, Children of Men)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://film.guardian.co.uk/apnews/st...645866,00.html

The three Mexican directors who shook up Hollywood last February with 16 Academy Award nominations have formed a moviemaking partnership with Universal Pictures worth a reported $100 million.

Guillermo del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu will produce five movies, some of them in Spanish, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

``These filmmakers truly represent the importance of cultural diversity for the global audience,'' said David Linde, co-chairman of Universal Pictures.

The trio, who individually directed ``Pan's Labyrinth'', ``Babel'' and ``Children of Men,'' will call their production company Cha Cha Cha.

Universal plans to distribute the trio's films abroad. A U.S.-Canadian distributor was not named. The total cost of the films could reach $100 million, according to the Times.

The three have marketed themselves together since their stunning Oscar success.

Del Toro directed ``Pan's Labyrinth,'' which won three Oscars and was nominated for six. Gonzalez Inarritu's ``Babel'' was nominated in seven categories, including best picture and best director, and won for best original score. Cuaron's ``Children of Men'' was nominated in three categories.

Old 05-19-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Neat. I like all three of these guys.
Old 05-19-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I absolutely love all 3 of those guys. But Universal makes shitty DVDs so this news pretty much blows.
Old 05-19-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Carlos Cuarón and Rodrigo García are also part of the deal.
Old 05-19-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuck yes!
Old 05-19-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I absolutely love all 3 of those guys. But Universal makes shitty DVDs so this news pretty much blows.
Huh? So they shouldn't get financing for movies because the movies may end up on shitty DVDs?
Sorry, but for me the fact that three highly regarded filmmakers are getting $$$ to make more films is not news that "pretty much blows".
Old 05-19-07, 10:44 PM
Banned

I love all of them and would gladly see anything they make
Old 05-19-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's my boy Del Toro! Great news all around on this one.
Old 05-19-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by marty888
Huh? So they shouldn't get financing for movies because the movies may end up on shitty DVDs?
Sorry, but for me the fact that three highly regarded filmmakers are getting $$$ to make more films is not news that "pretty much blows".
It's not like these guys can't get financing. Universal just decided to lock them up.
Old 05-20-07, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's not like these guys can't get financing. Universal just decided to lock them up.
I would disagree. For them to get complete, 100% backing from an American studio is great fucking news. Simply put, Babel and Children of Men completely underpreformed here in the states -- but both did pretty well overseas. I could see them get financing from studios outside of the Hollywood system -- probably out of foreign countries -- but for Universal to back them with full support and well sized budgets is all for the better.

And if someone argues my point with, "Well the press release says: A U.S.-Canadian distributor was not named," that pretty much means that Universal, Focus, or Rogue -- depending on what type of films they're making -- will be the distributors. I'll put some good money down that Focus will release a majority of these films.
Old 05-20-07, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good for them.
Old 05-20-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If US studios are going to give up on these guys because their movies aren't profitable, I'd rather have that decision made after some studio decides to throw $100MM at them and they make a bunch of masterpieces.
Old 05-20-07, 09:54 AM

Great news!
Old 05-20-07, 10:46 AM

ORALE!! That will buy a lot of cerveza y frijoles!
Old 05-21-07, 05:40 PM

This is amazing news. These guys are a fantastic set of directors who are just as comfortable doing large and bombastic blockbusters (Harry Potter 3, Hellboy, Blade 2) as they are doing low key provocative masterpieces (Y Tu Mama, Babel).

And as my top two films of last year were directed by two of these guys (Children of Men and Pan's Labyrinth) I couldn't be any more excited.
Old 05-21-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Good news in my book, hopefully we'll see The Orphanage in the US a little faster than other similar flicks (Del Toro is a producer on it)