Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cake-New CD-B-sides

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cake-New CD-B-sides

Old 05-18-07, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cake-New CD-B-sides

Does anyone know when this is available at a bestbuy or some other store?
the Cake website says buy now next to the CD, but I cannot find a release date.
Old 05-18-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Website actually says "pre-order"
Old 05-18-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cake is my favorite modern-era band. No, really. I think there should be more threads about the band, Cake.

Anyway, I pre-ordered it from their website. I believe if pre-ordering from their official website, you get the limited edition CD with a cover of War Pigs live. I don't remember what makes it limited for sure, since it seems long ago now. The thing is, I never got confirmation that the payment was received.

When does it come out again?
Old 05-18-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Cake is my favorite modern-era band. No, really. I think there should be more threads about the band, Cake.

Anyway, I pre-ordered it from their website. I believe if pre-ordering from their official website, you get the limited edition CD with a cover of War Pigs live. I don't remember what makes it limited for sure, since it seems long ago now. The thing is, I never got confirmation that the payment was received.

When does it come out again?
I got a paypal receipt immediately. I'm not sure your payment went through.

I really liked Cake until the most recent album, which really was not good. The guitarist had left and the new guy just isn't as original.
Old 05-18-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to their official website: www.cakemusic.com

SCRATCH AND SNIFF CAKE CD COMING SOON: Pre-order now the new self-released CAKE "B-Sides and Rarities" CD, while they last. This limited edition configuration will feature special "Scratch and Sniff" album art, plus an exclusive "War Pigs" live bonus track with special guest Steven Drozd of the Flaming Lips. This package will be available exclusively to pre-orders prior to official release for only ten dollars! You will not find these songs on any other CAKE studio album. Listen to song samples at right or simply BUY IT NOW! SCRATCH AND SNIFF CAKE CD COMING SOON: Pre-order now the new self-released CAKE "B-Sides and Rarities" CD, while they last. This limited edition configuration will feature special "Scratch and Sniff" album art, plus an exclusive "War Pigs" live bonus track with special guest Steven Drozd of the Flaming Lips. This package will be available exclusively to pre-orders prior to official release for only ten dollars! You will not find these songs on any other CAKE studio album. Listen to song samples at right or simply BUY IT NOW!
While there's no specific release date, the website does mention:

Cake wishes to extend a sincere thank-you to all the listeners who placed a pre-order for the limited edition "b-sides and rarities" CD. We want to let you know that the CDs are now in production. We expect the discs will ship out in approximately four weeks. We appreciate your patronage and patience. Pre-orders are currently still being accepted.CAKE wishes to extend a sincere thank-you to all the listeners who placed a pre-order for the limited edition "b-sides and rarities" CD. We want to let you know that the CDs are now in production. We expect the discs will ship out in approximately four weeks. We appreciate your patronage and patience. Pre-orders are currently still being accepted.
The excerpt above was posted on their website on April 30th. With over 2 weeks gone by, it should be in our hands in early June.

I can't wait.

(For the record, they have a lot of b-sides released on imports that are not on this compilation.)
Old 05-18-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I got a paypal receipt immediately. I'm not sure your payment went through.

I really liked Cake until the most recent album, which really was not good. The guitarist had left and the new guy just isn't as original.
Perhaps that's why it sounded too keyboardy. I still thought Pressure Chief had some gems -- Waiting, No Phone (which I have a ringtone of and program it for people who I usually don't want to talk to), Carbon Monoxide, and Tougher than It Is . She Hangs the Baskets has to be one of their most all-time boring songs, though.

Maybe I overlooked the paypal receipt. I guess I can always go to my paypal account and check to see if went through.
Old 05-18-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, good...I did get a receipt from Paypal, on March 8th. The payment went to "Silent Tribunal LLC dba Upbeat Records".
Old 05-18-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, good...I did get a receipt from Paypal, on March 8th. The payment went to "Silent Tribunal LLC dba Upbeat Records".
Same as me.

I'm convinced that No Phone was written by the former guitarist. It sounds like nothing else on the album.
Old 05-18-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, now this is interesting. The album seems to be fully downloadable for free from the website Wish I had known that.

There also appears to be a live album coming out sometime in 2007 as well. I'd be curious to hear it as I've never had the opportunity to see one of their shows.
Old 05-19-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, now this is interesting. The album seems to be fully downloadable for free from the website Wish I had known that.

There also appears to be a live album coming out sometime in 2007 as well. I'd be curious to hear it as I've never had the opportunity to see one of their shows.
I've been to about 5-7 Cake shows. You should go if you get the chance -- they are a LOT of fun and you can see some of the rare instruments they use.
Old 05-21-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I've been to about 5-7 Cake shows. You should go if you get the chance -- they are a LOT of fun and you can see some of the rare instruments they use.
I would love to see Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps performed live. It's not my favorite Cake song, but I really dig it.
Old 05-21-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Josh, I think they are all just 1 minute snippet samples...just checked.
Old 05-22-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Josh, I think they are all just 1 minute snippet samples...just checked.
Really? I got about 70mb worth of data downloaded, haven't listened yet.
Old 05-28-07, 12:31 AM

I
just check there website and it says it wil lbe out late may or early june. so it wil lbe out soon
Old 05-28-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was hoping this would get sent out earlier. I'm about to move, and they won't let me change my shipping address. Hopefully the address change will be effective before they send this out...
Old 05-29-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
I was hoping this would get sent out earlier. I'm about to move, and they won't let me change my shipping address. Hopefully the address change will be effective before they send this out...
You can also have your local post office forward any mail that gets sent to your old address to the new one you'll be residing in.
Old 05-29-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I agree. I've been to 3 shows. (As a so-called "Cake fan", I should be ashamed of myself for only seeing them 3 times.)

On my myspace, I have a framed poster of the band, with all their signatures and some concert tickets lining the inner part of the frame. That was (is?) how much of a Cake nerd I am.
Old 06-08-07, 10:22 PM

I'm convinced that No Phone was written by the former guitarist. It sounds like nothing else on the album.
Hmm, their guitarist (Xan McCurdy) has been with the band since their 2001 album, Comfort Eagle, and he even recorded guitar on some songs on their 1998 album. Their old guitarist (Greg Brown) left the band way back in 1998. Their only recent line-up change is the drummer, as Todd Roper left after Comfort Eagle. There's no official drummer in the band right now, and they are playing with Paulo Baldi for live shows. (That's why there's so much drum machine on Pressure Cheif.)
Old 06-08-07, 10:25 PM

Oh, and i forgot to mention, each copy of the limited-edition CD features a scratch-and-sniff album cover, and they are making five different color/scent combinations (red/fresh cut roses, yellow/banana, brown/leather, green/fresh cut grass, and purple/grape).
Old 06-16-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can also have your local post office forward any mail that gets sent to your old address to the new one you'll be residing in.
Yeah, I know. I've done that, and I'm hoping that I'll see it show up down here pretty quickly. I'm eager to here these songs, so I hope the PO comes through for me.
Old 06-19-07, 08:23 PM

From Cake's web site:

Newsflash for June 11, 2007

* The "pre-order" CAKE "b-sides and rarities" CDs have just arrived at our fulfillment center in Sacramento, CA. We have begun filling orders this week (in the order in which they were received). Thank you for your patience.
Old 06-26-07, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So does anyone know what song that is that plays on their website when you log in? Is that a Cake original? Might it be on the B sides?
Old 07-10-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I received the Cake newsletter in my inbox today. I presume this is on their official website too. Here's what it reads:

Hello,

We wanted to send our thanks to everyone who pre-ordered a CAKE "b-sides and rarities" CD. Please know that we are working around the clock to send them all out. Each order is hand packed with great care, and thousands of orders have already been filled! Rest assured that we are working diligently to fill each order in the order in which it was placed. Thank-you for your patience & understanding.

We also wanted to let you know about some upcoming CAKE shows:

August 10 - Fairbanks, Alaska / The Blue Loon

August 11 – Anchorage, Alaska / Moose’s Tooth Pub

August 17 – Del Mar, CA – Del Mar Concert Series @ Del Mar Race Track

September 13 – Aspen, CO / Belly Up

September 14 - Morrison, CO / Monolith Festival @ Red Rocks Amphitheater

September 15 – Sante FE, NM / Paolo Soleri Outdoor Amphitheater

We hope to see you soon,

CAKE
Hell yes. It couldn't come soon enough. Since I have most of the b-sides on this already, I'm really looking forward to the live album.

(Although, I do have some of their live stuff as b-sides from some of their imports. But a complete live album would rock.)
Old 07-11-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got mine in the mail today. SO far some good stuff. I don't have any of their b sides, but honestly, the day it was announced I had been wondering what their b sides would sound like. My favorite so far is Conroy (a good instrumental that was featured on their website that would make an awesome ringtone).
Old 08-07-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still haven't received mine yet. Has anyone else who have ordered it not receive theirs either? I purchased mine on March 8th. Not sure if that's considered ordering early or not.