Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brand Upon the Brain!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Brand Upon the Brain!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brand Upon the Brain!

It's an exciting filmgoing month of May for me, and I've only seen one film so far (the amazing 1974 Rivette film Celine and Julie Go Boating).

And now this weekend at the Music Box in Chicago: Brand Upon the Brain!

http://www.branduponthebrain.com

http://www.branduponthebrain.com/trailer.html

This Guy Maddin extravaganza should be quite an experience: Silent film, Live orchestra, Live foley artists, Castrato, and narration by Crispin Glover!

Has anyone seen any of the live shows in New York? Anyone seeing this in Chicago?

And Memorial Day weekend, I have tickets to Rivette's 12+ hour Out 1.

Who needs the summer blockbusters?

...well I'm just glad to have access to these great film options. I couldn't imagine having the multiplex as my only filmgoing outlet, though I would probably enjoy DVDs then.
Old 05-18-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to see/have seen one of those shows (I think Isabella Rossellini was doing the narration in NYC). Maddin is completely sui generis and without question one of the most inventive filmmakers around. Have a great time!
Old 05-18-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Maddin is completely sui generis and without question one of the most inventive filmmakers around.
If I lived in Chicago, it would be an actus reus for me to not see this!
Old 05-20-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The live performance was a blast! Quite an assault of the senses. The music performance was excellent, by Chicago's Ensemble Noamnesia. And the foley artists were amazing. I caught myself watching them work rather than the film in a few brief moments. And Crispin Glover did a great job.

The castrato was just surreal. He performed two short songs beautifully.

The film, just total Guy Maddin psychosexual indulgence and repression communicated through energetic and expertly edited black and white. Wholly artificial but continuously absorbing, with that great sense of absurd humor.

There were certain moments when the music, and the sound effects, and Glover built up together in an exciting frenzy threatening to blow the lid off the theater.

Definitely one of my most memorable filmgoing experiences.
Old 05-29-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Movie is FINALLY getting a formal US DVD release on August 12, 2008 -- from Criterion no less:

http://www.amazon.com/Criterion-Coll...dp/B0019X4008/

I'm a big fan of Guy Maddin's craziness. I may be in the minority but I absolutely loved The Saddest Music in the World.