Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dario Argento's The Stendhal Syndrome SE Blue Underground in September.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.cultfilmsenkutfilms.com/e...ll_lustig.html

-Can I ask some more about the upcoming releases of Blue Underground? You're planning on doing a special edition of Stendhal Syndrome.

-Coming out in september, yes.

-Would you consider letting Dario Argento do an audio commentary in subtitled Italian?

-Well - no - we're not doing an audio commentary, but we're shooting an interview with him next thursday. Him and Asia and Giuseppe Rotunno, Sergio Stivaletti and the author of the book. We're shooting those interviews in Rome on the 18th and the 19th. And when I say 'we' - I'm not going to Rome, it's going to be David Gregory who works for me.

-Will you feature both the English and the Italian versions?

-Yes - the English and the Italian. We just finished the transfer in high-definition under the supervision of the director of photography, so it's the definitive version.
Old 05-17-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's about fucking time.

However, I may just keep the Troma version for the T.I.T. game that's a bonus feature.
Old 05-18-07, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank God it finally happens! Or I was finally going to track an Italian release to avoid Troma
Old 06-05-07, 02:25 AM
Banned

Hello Friends,

I've seen only 2 films by Argento so far. I thought SUSPIRIA was ok and DEEP RED was lousy. What else is out there by Argento that I might like. So far, Argento is no Mario Bava.

Ken
Old 06-05-07, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by pbishop69
Hello Friends,

I've seen only 2 films by Argento so far. I thought SUSPIRIA was ok and DEEP RED was lousy. What else is out there by Argento that I might like. So far, Argento is no Mario Bava.

Ken
I guess you were quite in a rush to make the statement that Argento is no M.Bava ) So if you liked Suspiria, I guess I'll like Inferno and Phenomena for sure. That's because they also have this supernatural theme. Others are great also but are more like detective thrillers a la Deep Red (but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't like them either). I'd recommend: Tenebre, Opera, Two Evil Eyes, Trauma. Latest Argento flicks are for true fans I guess, so I won't be starting with them.
Old 06-05-07, 07:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
This SE will be a must-buy for me.
Old 06-05-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm buying.
Old 06-05-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And here I thought BU was finished, could be a purchase for me. I was big into Argento then fell off his bandwagon. But with "Jenifer" and the upcoming "mother of Tears", I'm been getting back on.

This is one of the few Argento films I haven't seen.
Old 06-05-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Why does everyone hate the Troma edition?
Old 06-05-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Why does everyone hate the Troma edition?
The transfer is terrible. It's a fake-matted 1.66:1 widescreen transfer that looks like it came from a VHS master.
Old 06-05-07, 12:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hooray! can't wait

question: is there one definitive cut of the film on the disc, or will there be two different cuts - I'm confused.
Old 06-05-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giles
hooray! can't wait

question: is there one definitive cut of the film on the disc, or will there be two different cuts - I'm confused.

Looks like 2 cuts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117658/alternateversions

- The Italian release is around two minutes longer than the English export version, including an additional scene where Anna calls the husband of one of Alfredo's victims, and another where she meets Marie's mother, played by Veronica Lazar (whose name is included in the credits of all versions, even those in which she does not appear).

- US DVD release by Troma release is the complete version of the English language edition, but, like all English releases, is still missing around 2 minutes of material exclusive to the Italian print.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1609

R2 Italy - (Medusa)
Disc 1
Italian Uncensored Cut of the film (114:37)

Disc 2
English "Director's cut" -version of the film (113:23)

"This 2-disc release includes two versions of The Stendhal Syndrome: the director-approved 114-minute Italian cut (contained on disc 1), and the shorter international English cut (contained on disc 2), which omits 74 seconds’ worth of material. The missing material takes the form of two isolated scenes, one involving Anna talking on the phone to the husband of one of the murdered women, and the other featuring Anna meeting her dead lover’s mother at the airport."

Last edited by inri222; 06-05-07 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-05-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Can't bloody wait!

Originally Posted by pbishop69
I thought SUSPIRIA was ok
You can't truly judge SUSPIRIA until you've seen it more than once. It's one of those films that requires multiple viewings, IMO.
Old 06-14-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

MSRP $29.99

16x9-enhanced 1.66:1 transfer
6.1 DTS-ES English
5.1 Dolby Surround English
2.0 Dolby Surround English and Italian
Theatrical trailer

Featurettes:

• Director: Dario Argento
• Inspiration: Psychological Consultant Graziella Magherini
• Special Effects: Sergio Stivaletti
• Assistant Director: Luigi Cozzi
• Production Designer: Massimo Antonello Geleng

The same day, Blue Underground will rerelease the two-disc special edition of Argento’s SUSPIRIA ($19.95) and the single DVDs of OPERA and CAT O’NINE TAILS ($14.95 each)
Old 06-14-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
The same day, Blue Underground will rerelease the two-disc special edition of Argento’s SUSPIRIA ($19.95) and the single DVDs of OPERA and CAT O’NINE TAILS ($14.95 each)
Opera and Cat O'Nine Tails were always single-disc editions. The second disc of Opera was just the soundtrack on CD.
Old 06-15-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All over this one. I'm glad I held off on the Troma release. It's nice to see BU giving this the grand treatment, but do they really need to keep re-issuing old AB titles? I know some might be OOP but some NEW titles might be nice more often than we get 'em.
Old 06-15-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first and only time I watched this one, I barely made it through without turning it off. And I'm generally a big fan of Argento. Was I in a bad mood or something? I know there are fans of Stendahl out there, so I'm just wondering what I missed and if I should give it a second chance.
Old 06-15-07, 11:06 PM
Cool New Member

hi, do these blue underground releases have the same transfer as the oop anchor bays (like deep red)?
Old 06-16-07, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by elvis_depp
hi, do these blue underground releases have the same transfer as the oop anchor bays (like deep red)?
yes, they're the same.
so, for those that were there when AB issued them (bill lustig seems to be the licensee - he worked at AB and rund BU) there's nothing new...
other than the italian language 'stendhal syndrome' in these BU releases.
Old 07-05-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Bloody Disgusting, Starz Home Entertainment will be re-releasing Demons and Demons 2 on DVD with brand new anamorphic transfers on September 25th. Same date when Blue Underground releases their Argento discs.

Seriously? Where are the anamorphic releases of Tenebre and Phenomena?
Old 07-06-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
The first and only time I watched this one, I barely made it through without turning it off. And I'm generally a big fan of Argento. Was I in a bad mood or something? I know there are fans of Stendahl out there, so I'm just wondering what I missed and if I should give it a second chance.
It has been quite awhile for me, but I recall liking this film better than any other late-era Argento I'd seen, but I wasn't crazy about it and, unlike most of his films, I recall thinking that the English dub was terrible. I never took the plunge and purchased the Medusa disc, but those who knew better than I claimed that I'd consider "Stendhal" the near-equal of any Argento film if I only I watched the Italian version (and not primarily for the additional sequences, but more in terms of the main actors' performances). So, I'm definitely giving it a second chance, if only via Netflix, so I can finally see the Italian version.
Old 07-30-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
According to Bloody Disgusting, Starz Home Entertainment will be re-releasing Demons and Demons 2 on DVD with brand new anamorphic transfers on September 25th. Same date when Blue Underground releases their Argento discs.
Is this really happening? I cannot find them anywhere for preorder.
Old 07-30-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
Cover art was posted a week or two ago in another Argento thread here on the forum, so I would assume it's still planned.

Information is up on Anchor Bay's website confirming the new transfers struck from the original 35mm elements, but no word yet on audio tracks (such as say the original Italian language track as the film consists of all Italian actors -- well, save for the lead in Demons II) or if the extras will be ported over.
Old 07-30-07, 06:55 PM

I can't wait to buy this bad boy. I am really anticipating this Re-Issue. I've already bought a few of the BU Re-Issues even though I own the Anchor Bay ones. The ones I am really looking forward to are Tenebre and Phenomena. Can't wait!! Cool post man. Take Care
Old 07-30-07, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia

Demons :
http://dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=834929

Demons 2 :
http://dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=834927

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.