Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Does 3-D gaming make anyone else dizzy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Does 3-D gaming make anyone else dizzy?

I've noticed that 3-D gaming makes me dizzy. I'm not talking just a little light-headed, I'm talking laying-down-in-bed-afterwards-for-hours-at-a-time dizzy. Morrowind for the XBOX makes me extremely nauseous to the point that I can't play even five minutes. I just realized Final Fantasy XII does the same thing to me. I think I've pinpointed it down to games that have you walking/running around 3D environments. Anyone else experience the same?
Old 05-17-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me! It takes a while, but yes, I do start feeling like i'm going to throw up after a while. It doesn't take hours to get over it, though. Just about 10-15 minutes of cooling off.

I first noticed this happen when I was about 11 or 12 and I played the game "Wolfenstein 3-D". I kept having to stop because I was getting headaches and feeling like I was gonna throw up.
Old 05-17-07, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The only game that did this for me was King Kong on the 360. After playing for an hour or so, I felt really nauseous.
Old 05-17-07, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
FPS can make me very sick. It used to happen to me a lot with Quake 2 on the PC and many of the FPS games on the 3DO.
I will say that it didn't happen to me once playing FEAR and Half Life 2 on the PC so maybe the improved frame rates of the newer games has fixed some of this for me.
Old 05-17-07, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened to be back in high school when we all skipped class to play our first 4-way DOOM fragfest in the computer lab. It hasn't really happened to me since.

Some older games let you toggle the "bob", which I believe is that slight bounce you see when you move, which sometimes causes dizziness with players. I don't know if this is still something you can turn on & off, but you might want to check.
Old 05-17-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Halflife 2 makes me sick as a dog. Armed and Dangerous and MOH:Pacific Assault too, but not nearly as bad. Strangely, I can play all the Unreal games, Tribes 2, and any flight sim for hours without issue.
Old 05-17-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn't say I'm predisposed to this, but it does happen occasionally when I'm watching someone else play a FPS game that isn't fluid with the controls
Old 05-17-07, 08:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sit back from the tv, make sure it's not taking up your entire field of vision.
Old 05-17-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WTF are you taking to read on a rollercoaster?
Old 05-17-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
That punctuation mark after "car" is called a period.
So's that cramping and bleeding you have in your vag Sorry I missed that, it just seemed like a full list of places you read
Old 05-17-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
So's that cramping and bleeding you have in your vag Sorry I missed that, it just seemed like a full list of places you read
Next time I'll start a new paragraph.
Old 05-17-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I sit on the bed and play off a 15" flat screen monitor that's 10 feet+ away, so it's not the distance I could always read in cars, and didn't get motion sickness in boats. Then on a cruise last month I didn't get sick as a dog, but the movement did bother me a bit. I thought you were supposed to grow out of stuff like this, not into it
Old 05-17-07, 09:57 AM

Over a decade ago I played Descent which made me feel pretty nauseous. I haven't experienced that feeling again since. I'm grateful that I don't have this problem now since some of my favorite experience involve 3-D shooters.

On one of the 1up radio podcasts, an editor said that one of the reasons why the 360 hasn't taken off in Japan is that Japanese people are prone to getting motion sickness from 3-D games. As a result, RPGs are the most popular type of game there, while many people prefer 3-D shooters here.
Old 05-17-07, 10:00 AM

I used to get nauseous playing first-person shooter games on the Nintendo 64, especially Goldeneye. So much so that I gave up playing these type of games altogether. However, if it's a third-person game I don't have any problems. I'm not sure why this makes a difference for me.
Old 05-17-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Aren't higher refresh rates supposed to help with this? It has never really bugged me, but computer monitors have always had a higher refresh than the typical tv you play a console game on. So it would make sense that 3-D games on a computer are less prone to causing motion sickness than a similar game on a console.

I am just talking out of my ass though as I have no real idea if that's true or not.
Old 05-17-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only games that give me an absolute splitting headache are games on rails. That Panzer Dragoon game on Xbox almost killed me, I didn't know I was that sensitive but I got just horrendously sick within about 3 minutes of sitting down with that one. Some of the King Kong 360 levels were the same way.
Old 05-17-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only ever had a problem w/ the Half-Life port for PS2. I also seem to recall this coming up before and people mentioning that taking dramamine actually helped them with this problem.
Old 05-17-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I first hooked up my PS2 to my new HD set a few years ago, I would get nauseous after a while, particularly with the FPS shooters like Doom. Now I guess I've gotten used to it since it doesn't happen anymore.
Old 05-17-07, 11:45 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I've never had a problem but my wife gets nausea when she watches me play an FPS.
Old 05-17-07, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Me! It takes a while, but yes, I do start feeling like i'm going to throw up after a while. It doesn't take hours to get over it, though. Just about 10-15 minutes of cooling off.

I first noticed this happen when I was about 11 or 12 and I played the game "Wolfenstein 3-D". I kept having to stop because I was getting headaches and feeling like I was gonna throw up.
I thought I was the only one!! I felt pretty crappy after watching my uncle breezing through Wolf 3-D.
Old 05-17-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played FPS for years (since Wolf3D first released), I never experienced any dizzy or feel sick. I was pretty hardcore FPS player ever since.
Old 05-17-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Aren't higher refresh rates supposed to help with this? It has never really bugged me, but computer monitors have always had a higher refresh than the typical tv you play a console game on. So it would make sense that 3-D games on a computer are less prone to causing motion sickness than a similar game on a console.

I am just talking out of my ass though as I have no real idea if that's true or not.
For me, it's gotten worse with each console generation as the framerates increase. Started back in the day with Twisted Metal on the PSOne and is even worse with games like COD2 and even Crackdown to some degree. I can play for 30 minutes or so and then I start getting the dull nauseous feeling
Old 05-17-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't say this has ever happened to me.
Old 05-17-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey
Over a decade ago I played Descent which made me feel pretty nauseous.
I never got sick while playing Descent, any version of it. I loved being able to bank and roll, complete freedom. I was damn good at it too.
But when I got an XBox and played Halo, I was getting sick playing it. Not sure why, but it might be because I hated playing an FPS with a gamepad. I'd go back and play quake2 or 3, and I was fine. Play some Halo and I felt it again.
Old 05-17-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember a particular night when I was a child playing Gameboy for a few hours, and then I ended up getting violently ill afterwards. Other then that, never got sick from playing any sort of game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.