Old 05-14-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
GRINDHOUSE: September

According to DAVISDVD.com
Old 05-14-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts
Thats great, but the real question is in what form are we going to see it on dvd. The movies released seperately, bare bones releases, 2 disc SE, who knows. I will probably buy every damn one of them.
Old 05-14-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm predicting seperate bare-bones for all y'all first.
Old 05-14-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The current rumor is still that the DVDs will not ever be packaged together due to Rodriguez and Tarantino's insistence that they are individual movies.
Old 05-14-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, the only thing that matters is that they are on HD.
Old 05-14-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Studio's best bet would probably be individual releases for $19.95, and a 2-pack "Grindhouse Experience" for $29.95 (MSRP of course)...
Old 05-14-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a feeling they'll come separately since they'll most likely get twice the money from fans who have to pay $30 release week for both, instead of $15-$17 for the film as a whole.
Old 05-14-07, 03:40 AM

September? Seems kind of late considering the studio is desperately looking to make up for the fact it was a box office bomb. I would have expected a June/July release looking to squeeze some cash out of the diehard Tarantino (and Rodriguez) fans.
Old 05-14-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Harvey Weinstein stated (in a letter response to Entertainment Weekly in this week's issue) that the movies will get seperate releases on DVD. Furthermore, he says that seperate releases were ALWAYS planned (although I seriously doubt that is the case).
Old 05-14-07, 06:37 AM

More Grindhouse threads!!!!
Old 05-14-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Separate DVD releases make sense, as the whole point of Grindhouse was the experience of watching two films, with trailers, in the theater.

I can watch as many films in a row at home as I want. It was the location that mattered for Grindhouse.
Old 05-14-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MetalGator311
September? Seems kind of late considering the studio is desperately looking to make up for the fact it was a box office bomb. I would have expected a June/July release looking to squeeze some cash out of the diehard Tarantino (and Rodriguez) fans.
They may sell better closer towards Halloween instead of the middle of Summer where most people are going to the theaters to watch the blockbuster films.
Old 05-14-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001
My thoughts exactly!
Old 05-14-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No the real question is which one or how they'll do the faux trailers for these releases...
Old 05-14-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
Separate DVD releases make sense, as the whole point of Grindhouse was the experience of watching two films, with trailers, in the theater.

I can watch as many films in a row at home as I want. It was the location that mattered for Grindhouse.
I don't necessarily agree with this...I think the movies work better together than they do apart. Of course, release them seperately now, release them together next year...milk as much money out of them as you can (which, so far, hasn't been much!).
Old 05-14-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Yeah, the scratchy film stock should look great in HD...
Actually, if there's one film that would benefit the least from HD, it'd be these, since they're supposed to look filthy and dirty.
Old 05-14-07, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
pish posh... I want it on good 'ol VHS...
Old 05-14-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, the scratchy film stock should look great in HD.
"Restored" versions (read: minus the battering they added in afterwards) are supposed to be on there along with the theatrical editions.

Just because it's grainy and speckled doesn't mean Grindhouse won't benefit from a boost in resolution.
Old 05-14-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
No the real question is which one or how they'll do the faux trailers for these releases...
The rumor I heard is that Planet Terror will get Machete and Death Proof will get the others.
Old 05-14-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd really prefer to have the entire thing released as one film. That way I always have the option of watching one, both, or whatever the hell I feel like. Breaking it up is an (obviously) thinly-veiled attempt at recouping some of that lost cash.
Old 05-14-07, 01:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I'd really prefer to have the entire thing released as one film. That way I always have the option of watching one, both, or whatever the hell I feel like. Breaking it up is an (obviously) thinly-veiled attempt at recouping some of that lost cash.
to really piss folk off, they should do that and not encode chapters ....
Old 05-14-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Eh. I still believe that Tarantino and Rodriguez, even if it does mean more money, really are doing it simply because the point is if you didn't see it in the theater, you missed the experience. The whole point of the project was to get people to have an experience in the theater you can't have anywhere else, so I feel pretty assured that they always were gonna chop it up. I think the money thing is simply the reason the Weinsteins never argued.

And yeah, if you've seen the movie, the little "PREVUES" screen comes up twice, so it seems clear that Machete is the preview attached to PT and the other three are attached to DP and will be as such on the DVD.
Old 05-14-07, 02:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
If they do release them separately that would be great cause then I wouldn't have to buy that horrible Death Proof!!
Old 05-14-07, 06:04 PM

I'd only buy Grindhouse. Planet Terror and Death Proof really aren't great individual movies. The experience of watching both movies is what made if fun. The only way I'd buy them individually is if they're also released in a box set with a Grindhouse cover like Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Star Wars, etc. Planet Terror and Death Proof aren't even movies as far as I'm concerned. You didn't see the segments from movies like Creepshow or Four Rooms get split up and passed off as different movies, although they're quite a bit shorter. I only ever saw them as one movie.

Last edited by Linko; 05-14-07 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-14-07, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Linko
I'd only buy Grindhouse. Planet Terror and Death Proof really aren't great individual movies. The experience of watching both movies is what made if fun.
I agree. I would only buy GRINDHOUSE. I have no interest in the individual films, especially if they are cleaned up and the missing reels restored. The missing reel moment in POT was one of the best laughs ever. GRINDHOUSE is a total experience that is more than a sum of its parts. Take away that structure and you are left with two mediocre movies.

If Weinstein was smart, they'd release the two separate restored versions of the two films, and also put out GRINDHOUSE as a separate release at the same time. The GRINDHOUSE release could have a premium price (as you are getting the full shebang), and the two separate films would be available for a bit less. Super-fans of the project would end up having to buy all three releases. Sounds like a way to recoup some of the lost money on this thing. Guess we'll wait and see what happens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.