Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Trouble With Psycho From The Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-13-07, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally got around to watching Psycho from the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection. I've owned the set for a while now and bought it from Fry's.

When the disc gets to the end of Chapter 9, it loops back to the beginning of Chapter 9 instead of going on to Chapter 10. (And Chapter 10 is the infamous shower scene!) Therefore, the disc just goes into an infinite loop of Chapter 9. The only way around this was for me to go to the main menu and select chapter 10. It was even fine if I rewound the disc a bit into Chapter 9, but only after I manually selected chapter 10.

Is this a problem experienced by anyone before? If so, can someone please lead me to a thread or a resolution? I searched but came up with nothing. If not, does anyone know who I email or call?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-07, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've watched the disc from my set a couple of times and this did not happen. Might just be a bad disc. Don't know who to contact but I might start here:

Universal Studios Home Video
1-818-777-4315
Old 05-13-07, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that some of the dics in the collection came with several problems like looping and skipping. Still, you should check the disc on other players to see that in fact the dvd is damaged.
Old 05-13-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a Universal DVD release, there has to be problems with the Discs.
They are not very kind to Mr.Hitchcock on the DVD.
Old 05-13-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The other trouble with Psycho in the box set is that Universal is re-releasing the movie as a Legacy Series DVD in August. A similar problem will happen with The Birds...and I don't think Universal Tech Support will have any help for us there
Old 05-13-07, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I definitely will try it in another player (as well as try to watch it again in the same player). I'm beginning to suspect that my dvd player may be at fault. It's given me wonderful service for the past 5 years, but it's time to trade up I guess.

And on an unrelated tangent that's not important enough really to get its own thread...

...who exactly owns the rights to Hitchcock's OOP criterion releases? Will we see these on dvd again in some form?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-07, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The other trouble with Psycho in the box set is that Universal is re-releasing the movie as a Legacy Series DVD in August. A similar problem will happen with The Birds...and I don't think Universal Tech Support will have any help for us there

Is that for sure? you mean like The Sting or The Deer Hunter, those kind of packagings?
Old 05-14-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was Vertigo and Psycho that are getting Legacy releases, not The Birds... I read that somewhere, probably on here.

No problems here with my Psycho disc...
Old 05-14-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Perhaps it is all three. But since The Birds is being remade I feel pretty sure that it's getting some money squeezed out of it. And yes, like The Sting and Deer Hunter and I am pretty sure it's confirmed.
Old 05-14-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they go HD like The Sting and Deer Hunter, I'm all over it.
Old 06-10-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
I thought it was Vertigo and Psycho that are getting Legacy releases, not The Birds... I read that somewhere, probably on here.

No problems here with my Psycho disc...
Per The Rumor Mill at The Digital Bits, it is The Birds and Psycho. If true, count me in for both. Does anyone have any info at all on special features or anything like that for these? The Bits just gives dates.
Old 06-10-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by newcomb being
And on an unrelated tangent that's not important enough really to get its own thread...

...who exactly owns the rights to Hitchcock's OOP criterion releases? Will we see these on dvd again in some form?
I'd like to know that too. Criterion lost the rights to them, so who'd the rights go back too?
Old 06-10-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big e
I'd like to know that too. Criterion lost the rights to them, so who'd the rights go back too?
The four films Hitchcock directed for Selznick International (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case) are all owned by ABC Films, part of Buena Vista/Disney. Straw Dogs is also part of the ABC Films library, but from the purchase of films released by Cinerama Releasing Company. The Selznick library owned by ABC also includes Duel in the Sun, Since You Went Away,

The Cinerama/ABC Films library has largely had releases put out by MGM, including Charly, Take the Money and Run, Custer of the West, Krakatoa, They Shoot Horses Don't They, and Kotch. Some had releases via Anchor Bay when Disney was licensing nearly all of their "second tier" live-action films (like The Black Hole and The Happiest Millionaire), the ABC Films/Selznick library (all four Hitchcocks, Duel in the Sun, Since You Went Away, etc).
Old 06-10-07, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
The four films Hitchcock directed for Selznick International (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case) are all owned by ABC Films, part of Buena Vista/Disney. Straw Dogs is also part of the ABC Films library, but from the purchase of films released by Cinerama Releasing Company. The Selznick library owned by ABC also includes Duel in the Sun, Since You Went Away,

The Cinerama/ABC Films library has largely had releases put out by MGM, including Charly, Take the Money and Run, Custer of the West, Krakatoa, They Shoot Horses Don't They, and Kotch. Some had releases via Anchor Bay when Disney was licensing nearly all of their "second tier" live-action films (like The Black Hole and The Happiest Millionaire), the ABC Films/Selznick library (all four Hitchcocks, Duel in the Sun, Since You Went Away, etc).
To add to that a little: Mgm also reissued Straw Dogs awhile back after Criterion lost the rights.