DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Chips on DVDs Could Prevent Theft

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chips on DVDs Could Prevent Theft

Worst idea ever? Discuss.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- New technology designed to thwart DVD theft makes discs unplayable until they're activated at the cash register.

A chip smaller than the head of a pin is placed onto a DVD along with a thin coating that blocks a DVD player from reading critical information on the disc. At the register, the chip is activated and sends an electrical pulse through the coating, turning it clear and making the disc playable.

The radio frequency identification chip is made by NXP Semiconductors, based in the Netherlands, and the Radio Frequency Activation technology comes from Kestrel Wireless Inc., based in Emeryville.

The two companies are talking to Hollywood studios and expect to announce deals this summer, Kestrel Wireless Chief Executive Paul Atkinson said.

The companies said their technology also can be used to protect electric shavers, ink jet cartridges, flash memory drives and even flat-screen TV sets by preventing some critical element from functioning unless activated.

Retail theft of entertainment products, including video games, accounts for as much as $400 million in annual losses, according to the Entertainment Merchants Association.

Many retailers now keep consumer-entertainment products behind glass cases, but that can inhibit browsing. With technology that renders stolen products useless, retailers could display items openly, thus encouraging more sales, said Mark Fisher, vice president for strategic initiatives at the EMA.

"It will also get product into a lot more outlets that are afraid of theft, including grocers," Fisher said.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

If the number of times my DVDs have set off an alarm when leaving the store after having supposedly been de-activated at the register is any indication, I can only imagine how many DVDs with this sort of chip wouldn't work when you get them home.

Last edited by MoviePage; 05-11-07 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 11:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
We'll know soon enough. Season 1 is out next month.
Old 05-11-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't see this working too well with DVDs, but video games could be a different matter all together. At the store I work at, games are the number one media stolen. In the last couple weeks, the store has had about six thousand dollars in PS3 games stolen. The bandits were caught at another store, but it was too late for the stores they hit.
Old 05-11-07, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're on the case, chief!
Old 05-11-07, 11:39 AM

Worst idea ever? Discuss.
No, that was DIVX discs. This comes in second.
Old 05-11-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is the problem stated above, but assuming they perfect the art of deactivating at the register (to me it sounds like this will be deactivated when they scan the disc to sell it to you), then it could work.
Old 05-11-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is supposed to prevent theft?

Old 05-11-07, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chucky
No, that was DIVX discs. This comes in second.
EZ-DVD was there along with DIVX. Then the chip and the DVD that edits questionable content from the movies.
Old 05-11-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's to prevent theft from used DVD stores?

More importantly, what's to prevent theft from my collection?
Old 05-11-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
oh that ponch and jon are just so dreamy!

catch those dvd thieves...ride ride!
Old 05-11-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What happens when you go to a store like Ross or Big Lots that don't even have devices to deactivate the current sensormatic stickies?
Old 05-11-07, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to mention the fact before long someone is going to develop a portable device to deactive the chip before they rip it off. Overall I admit it sounds like an attractive idea to the decision makers, once they start looking at the whole package though they may change their mind.

Not to mention this does nothing to detract from bootleggers and overall I suspect that's more of a problem than people shoplifting.
Old 05-11-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Yep. Sounds good on paper but not in reality.
Old 05-11-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Not to mention the fact before long someone is going to develop a portable device to deactive the chip before they rip it off.
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/wiki/RFID-Zapper(EN)
Old 05-11-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This is supposed to prevent theft?

Of course not, silly. The chips have to be ON the DVDs, as per the subject title!

Now nobody can get those DVDs!
Old 05-11-07, 07:06 PM
crs

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Of course not, silly. The chips have to be ON the DVDs, as per the subject title!

Now nobody can get those DVDs!
That's how the last DVDs I ever let people borrow from me, looked when I got them back. Without cover too!
Old 05-11-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Groucho wins this thread
Old 05-12-07, 10:03 AM

Mmm....and the mail-order and internet stores are just going to love this one.

I have big issues with anything that can even potentially inhibit playback - there are enough problems already with badly authored or badly manufactured discs, let alone adding another little widget that can go wrong.

As has been pointed out, alarms going off because the existing anti-theft device hasn't been turned off are fairly common already.

It wouldn't be a joy to get home and find that your discs won't play because the nerk at the till forget to process it.

Even less of a joy if you bought the thing through the mail!

Does this imply that the discs have to be removed from their packaging to be "zapped"?...

I hate the thought of that. So will the mail-order stores.
Old 05-12-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
Mmm....and the mail-order and internet stores are just going to love this one.

I have big issues with anything that can even potentially inhibit playback - there are enough problems already with badly authored or badly manufactured discs, let alone adding another little widget that can go wrong.

As has been pointed out, alarms going off because the existing anti-theft device hasn't been turned off are fairly common already.

It wouldn't be a joy to get home and find that your discs won't play because the nerk at the till forget to process it.

Even less of a joy if you bought the thing through the mail!

Does this imply that the discs have to be removed from their packaging to be "zapped"?...

I hate the thought of that. So will the mail-order stores.
Reason #538 why this idea won't work.
Old 05-12-07, 11:47 AM

Couldn't thieves just use a different deactivator in another location to "activate" the DVDs?
Old 05-13-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mail-order and internet retailers would likely be sent discs without the chips, so that may not be a problem. The only case where it would be inconvenient would be a retailer that sells closeout stock from B&M stores.

If this was to be put into use, would it mean the end of security stickers and tags? They wouldn't be needed anymore.

Have they said whether this chip would set off an alarm at the store? I would think they would still want to keep the discs from exiting the store. I first thought the whole point of this is to keep people from putting only the discs in their pockets, bypassing the security tags. However, if they're going to let the thieves get away with them anyway, they'll just figure out how to get them activated.

I'd also be concerned about the cost. If this is going to make the discs more expensive (or even just inhibit lowering prices), they can suck it.
Old 05-13-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still think the idea is that the actual item scanner, the thing scanning the barcode, is what will deactivate the device. Therefore it will be impossible for you to buy the DVD without deactivating the device.
Old 05-14-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My hopeful side wishes that it is indeed something that will be activated/deactivated when you scan the item for purchase.

My realistic side believes that it will be some overly convoluted scheme that will make things more difficult for honest buyers but will not affect pirates in any way.
Old 05-14-07, 10:24 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now I have the CHiPs theme song in my head
Old 05-14-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I think it is a great idea in theory. In theroy! Communisum works, in theroy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.