Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBC hints at 'Scrubs' demise; ABC might not pick it up either

I just read this on Variety and I didn't see it posted yet:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964097.html

NBC hints at 'Scrubs' demise
Promos being kept deliberately vague
By JOSEF ADALIANNBC may be sending out a subtle message to viewers that "Scrubs" could soon be sent to the morgue -- at least on the Peacock.
During Monday's "Heroes," the net aired a promo hyping "the final episodes" of "Scrubs." A spot last week warned that there were "just four episodes left."

While countdowns are common this time of year, nets usually make it clear that they're talking about the number of segs left before a season finale. But the "Scrubs" promos make no mention of a finale, instead letting auds infer the show could be on its last legs.

NBC isn't commenting, but insiders said the promos are being kept deliberately vague because the show's fate is up in the air. Net doesn't want to flatly state the skein is over, since there's a shot it could be back.

Peacock execs have said they won't make a decision on whether to renew "Scrubs" until after they're done screening their pilots and deciding which shows to bring back.

Working in favor of "Scrubs": Show has been a reliable ratings warhorse for the net, despite very little promotion and ever-shifting timeslots (this week's episode begins at the head-scratching time of 9:19 p.m.).

Making the show a longshot for renewal is its very high pricetag. Series star Zach Braff also recently inked a megabucks deal with producer ABC Television Studio, making the cost even more prohibitive.

ABC Entertainment prexy Steve McPherson, who helped develop "Scrubs," has said he'd be interested in the show if NBC passes. The Braff deal, however, could make the show too expensive even for ABC, insiders said.

Whatever happens, don't be surprised if a deal goes down to the wire.

NBC's option to renew "Scrubs" doesn't expire until the day after the Alphabet presents its fall sked on May 15. That means ABC might not be able to pick up the show until after its upfront presentation.
Old 05-02-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't Zach get like 300K per episode if renewed? Ouch!
Old 05-02-07, 03:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
And now, I present a number of replies either blasting NBC or lamenting how "stupid" the American public is:
Old 05-02-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, it's pretty much time for it to go, although if it is canceled I'll be pissed they weren't given a chance to craft a real series finale.
Old 05-02-07, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Won't Zach get like 300K per episode if renewed? Ouch!
I read Zach Braff say that the reports of his new episode fee are grossly overstated. And remember, his contract isn't just for appearing in Scrubs. It's for any project that ABC Television Studio attaches him to. If they don't pay up for Scrubs, they are going to have to pay up for something at some point.
Old 05-02-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Groucho
And now, I present a number of replies either blasting NBC or lamenting how "stupid" the American public is:
How bout one blasting how "stupid" ABC Television Studio is for putting themselves in a position to have to pay Braff 300k for a half-hour comedy?
Old 05-02-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
How bout one blasting how "stupid" ABC Television Studio is for putting themselves in a position to have to pay Braff 300k for a half-hour comedy?
Old 05-02-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they cancel Scrubs they can make room for cheaper stuff like Deal or No Deal.
I can't wait.
Old 05-02-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Less Scrubs = More The Real Wedding Crashers

NBC
Old 05-02-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I, personally, do not want to see "Scrubs" go out this season, especially in lieu of the producers not knowing, and not being able to give the show a proper send-off...

Zach Braff garnering $300,000 per episode is ridiculous. I absolutely adore the show, and think Braff is remarkably talented, but that price tag is not worth it.

Here's hoping, however, that it comes back for one more year. It deserves an opportunity to go out in a way befitting the show, the cast, and the crew...
Old 05-02-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love the show and hope it doesn't end this season.
Old 05-02-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I noticed this the other where they don't specify where a season finale is coming or not..only 4 episodes left....hmmm
Old 05-02-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
What about the starts of Friends and Seinfeld getting $1M per?
Old 05-02-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What about the [stars] of Friends and Seinfeld getting $1M per?
Their shows got far better ratings than Scrubs has ever gotten.
Old 05-02-07, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
1 Hour Office, teamed with Earl and 30 Rock makes sense now...I was thinking this last night when I read the Office rumor.
Old 05-02-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if Zach is pulling down $300,000 an episode, I'd think NBC would have to bring in a DAMNED impressive slate of shows to cancel Scrubs. It's just too good a utility player. In addition, I'd think expanding The Office to an hour would cost more, would jeopardize the show creatively and in potential syndication sales, and might shorten that franchise's useful life. If that's really what they're thinking, bad call NBC.
Old 05-02-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i hope not I love scrubs. Scrubs and the office are my favorite comedy's.
Old 05-02-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Never cared for Scrubs - so I won't be heart broken. The only thing I'll miss is see'ing the ultra hot Sarah Chalke.
Old 05-02-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What about the starts of Friends and Seinfeld getting $1M per?
I love Scrubs. But ratings-wise, $$$-wise, syndication-wise, DVD-wise, and other-wise... it ain't in the same league as those two shows. Those stars were paid appropriately, given the obscene popularity of their respective shows and the cash that it was (and continues to) bring in for their respective studios.
Old 05-03-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1 Hour Office, teamed with Earl and 30 Rock makes sense now...I was thinking this last night when I read the Office rumor.
The Office isn't that great of a show to expand to an hour. I hope NBC lets it go on just 1 more year, thats all I'm asking for NBC. You bastards cancelled Boomtown-You owe me one.
I like all 4 shows but even when Scrubs doesn't have a great episode it is still good. 30 Rock is my second fav. followed by Earl which is good but not nearly as funny as Scrubs and the office has to be my least fav. out of the 4 shows, I don't hate it but i just don't think its nearly as funny as Scrubs.

I know alot of people would disagree with me but if they don't want to pay Zach Braff 350,000 per episode (christ i don't make that in 2 years ) and he won't do it for less than that then i say let him go. I know Bill L. said he won't do the show without him but i think he should maybe thing about making John C. McGinley the lead or Donald Faison even Sarah Chalke.

This is one of my fav. shows of all time and i would like to see a very entertaining ending to the series. NBC has shifted this program around so much, aired new episodes when nothing else was new that night, etc. & I think NBC should at least show them the respect by giving them a proper sendoff.
Hell St. Elsewhere never did triffic in the ratings but NBC loved the show so much and despite poor ratings every year it went on for 4 seasons before NBC ended it.

Last edited by nateman241; 05-03-07 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
The Office isn't that great of a show to expand to an hour. I hope NBC lets it go on just 1 more year, thats all I'm asking for NBC. You bastards cancelled Boomtown-You owe me one.
Everyone keeps saying that but in reality it would only be 10 minutes longer than the Super Sized shows that they have been doing lately anyway. With the number of deleted scenes that appear on the web weekly, filling that 10 minutes would be no problem.

If they decide to cancel it, I would hope they still greenlight a proper finale or maybe a 6 episode mini season for the fall.
Old 05-03-07, 07:00 AM
Suspended

skein is the stupidest word
Old 05-03-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I know alot of people would disagree with me but if they don't want to pay Zach Braff 350,000 per episode (christ i don't make that in 2 years
5 years for me
Old 05-03-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like Scrubs, but it has been 6 years. I can't see paying him 300k an episode so will understand if this one goes. I'm just shocked it has survived the axe this many times.
Old 05-03-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Everyone keeps saying that but in reality it would only be 10 minutes longer than the Super Sized shows that they have been doing lately anyway. With the number of deleted scenes that appear on the web weekly, filling that 10 minutes would be no problem.
Um, not sure what you're watching in terms of deleted scenes, but last week's "Product Recall" for example had 3 - clocking at 1:40, 1:10 and 1:05. Barely 4 minutes and most of the time those scenes are about that much extra. The average episode is 22 minutes. An hour show is about 44. The deleted scenes would essentially add roughly a FIFTH of what they'd need to have an hour.

They should renew Scrubs and save themselves from losing two shows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.