Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Box Live Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
X-Box Live Questions

I am going to pick up an Elite in a while and i just wondered about XBox Live. First of all how much does the Gold service cost in the US? Secondly, hwo big are the games you can download? For example i am going to want to download Jetpac Refueled.....how big is the file size?

I have an ok net connection, but at the same time i don't want to have to wait a long time downloading. Any info is appreciated.
Old 05-02-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Ok i think i have seen the price now. Looks like $60 a year for Gold subscription. I just wanted to check this because some stupid dick put on another forum that i was reading that people in the UK pay forty five pounds a month for the service. Boy is he being conned if he is paying that.

So if anyone can let me know about file sizes for downloads i would appreciate it.
Old 05-02-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gold is $50 for 12+1 month. You can do slightly better on ebay. File sizes really depends on what you are downloading. Some demos are small, while some are pretty big. Gears of War map pack 1 is just under 100 megs, not too bad.
Old 05-02-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Until recently, the size of the Live Arcade games were capped at 50MB. They just increased the file size limit for those. I don't remember what to, but so far I think only a couple games are over 50MB.
Old 05-02-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ghym
Until recently, the size of the Live Arcade games were capped at 50MB. They just increased the file size limit for those. I don't remember what to, but so far I think only a couple games are over 50MB.
150 MB I believe.

Long story short about XBox Live Gold, I love it, if you like to play online even occasionally, it's worth it, and it's even better when you have friends (either from here or real life) who also play.

The best deal, and the one I did when I got my 360 a few months back, is Amazon.com's Gold Vision Pack for $60-something.

It includes:
- 12 months XBox Live Gold
- Uno
- Robotron
- 200 Points
- Vision Camera (Webcam)
- Wired Headset (a backup with the one that comes with the system)

Well worth it just for Live and Uno if you ask me.
Old 05-02-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some games will require update, you need to access Live! in order to download the update.
Old 05-02-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since we're asking Live questions, I have one. Is it a big deal if you don't want to wear the headset thing? Not to sound too anti-social, but I really don't need to talk to the people I'm playing against. That's what's kept me away from live - the idea of obnoxious 12-year-olds running around all over the place. So is it possible to play all games without having to worry about talking to other people?
Old 05-02-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Yes it is possible. I usually put it on when I start and if I end up with a room of assholes, I take it off. It gets a bad rap, but not everyone on Live are dicks.

Of course if you are playing a coordinated game you will need it, like Gears of War or Halo.
Old 05-02-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redcat
Since we're asking Live questions, I have one. Is it a big deal if you don't want to wear the headset thing? Not to sound too anti-social, but I really don't need to talk to the people I'm playing against. That's what's kept me away from live - the idea of obnoxious 12-year-olds running around all over the place. So is it possible to play all games without having to worry about talking to other people?
No.

I was the same way as you when I started, but now I find myself wearing the headset much more. There really aren't that many annoying people.

But, if you're going to play either competitively, or in games with a lot of strategy, like Rainbow 6: Vegas, people do get really pissed if you're not on headset, as it can really make or break the game.
Old 05-02-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
There really aren't that many annoying people.

But, if you're going to play either competitively, or in games with a lot of strategy, like Rainbow 6: Vegas, people do get really pissed if you're not on headset, as it can really make or break the game.
Good to know. Maybe I should pick up that camera pack mentioned above from amazon.

One other question: Are they good about updating sports rosters? Is there a certain number of times per season that they update for the major sports?
Old 05-02-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

that camera pack REALLY is the way to go

as far as the dicks on live go, I generally just leave, or just identify the jerk, and let him know "hey, if you're going to be a jerk to people, you might as well direct it here" kind of approach
Old 05-02-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are stuck in a room with a total obnoxious tool you can put them on ignore / mute and you won't hear anything from them.
Old 05-02-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, once you start populating your friends list with some good people to play with you will absolutely want the headset on. A good half of the fun for me on Live is the social interaction of chatting while playing Gears, Halo, or what have you. Recently having the headset has made Chromehounds an absolute blast to plan out and implement strategies with my buddies online.
Old 05-02-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Gold is $50 for 12+1 month. You can do slightly better on ebay.
I recently picked up the Gold 12+1 month subscription card from Buy.com for $40.55 using the $10 Google Checkout deal.
Old 05-02-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
So let me ask this, I've been using the same annually recurring 49.99 Live account since back in the early days fo Live. If I get one of those let say, $40 deals from some other place, does that change my current account in anyway? Its a silly question but it never really occured to me to try to get a better price for Live.
Old 05-02-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So let me ask this, I've been using the same annually recurring 49.99 Live account since back in the early days fo Live. If I get one of those let say, $40 deals from some other place, does that change my current account in anyway? Its a silly question but it never really occured to me to try to get a better price for Live.
No. When my free trial ran up, I went back to being a silver for about 3 days (since I was really busy and knew I wouldn't be able to play anyway). I then added the 12 month card with the Vision Pack and it went right back to Gold and nothing changed.
Old 05-03-07, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Ok cool. I'm guessing I'll have to find a $40 12 month deal every year right? Or will it recure at $40?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-03-07 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you are recurring though, be sure to input the code before your renewal date. They will automatically use the card/code and not charge you. However if you put it in after you have already been charged, then you have to go through the hassle of dealing with CSRs.

I was a week late on mine, so my code doesn't even kick in until October, so I'm set through Oct. 08.
Old 05-03-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just take your credit card info off and change your account type (so it isn't reccuring) You can stack up to 3 12 month subs at once. If you don't change your settings, as soon as your current sub expires, it will recure at $50
Old 05-03-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a random question. About 2 years or so ago, I had an XBL account. When I called to cancel it because I wasn't using it and the CSR told me I wouldn't be able to use my Gamertag again if I canceled it.

Fast forward to today and I don't yet have a 360, but I plan to. I'd really like to get that gamertag back (bet you can't guess what it was!) and I've even tried associating it with my hotmail account, but I get blocked.

When I do get my 360, will I just be able to call a CSR and be able to recover that ID or has anyone gone through this and been successful or denied?
Old 05-03-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Here's a random question. About 2 years or so ago, I had an XBL account. When I called to cancel it because I wasn't using it and the CSR told me I wouldn't be able to use my Gamertag again if I canceled it.

Fast forward to today and I don't yet have a 360, but I plan to. I'd really like to get that gamertag back (bet you can't guess what it was!) and I've even tried associating it with my hotmail account, but I get blocked.

When I do get my 360, will I just be able to call a CSR and be able to recover that ID or has anyone gone through this and been successful or denied?
I tried that in Febuary when I got my 360. No dice. The Indian CSR dude told me I could have gr33nmky
Old 05-03-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that sucks. I wonder what the logic behind reserving expired live accounts is... Oh well, I know I'll still give it a shot anyway
Old 05-03-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
Is it possibly the 'space' glitch? I remember a while back they offered people a free game that had a space in their name because of some glitch with EA servers or something bizarre. If you did, maybe they killed the account.

I have a space in my name though, as do many others. Anyone remember that story any better?
Old 05-03-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I liked my gamertag "The Surgeon" but I had to give it up because I wasn't getting a 360 anytime soon, and I'm not going to just give them 50 bucks.
Old 05-03-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine didn't have a space, no. When I try to register at xbox.com/live I am told that my gamertag is already taken. I can then follow a link that says "is this gamertag yours?" and then I get into some account recovery screen that I've never had work for me.

I haven't called them because it doesn't matter yet and, just like spainlinx0, there was no way I was going to keep paying my subscription just to keep that tag.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.