Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So is there anyone watching The Dresden Files still?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much quit watching. I had only read the first book when the series premiered, so I couldn't properly judge the show vs. the books... but after making it to the 5th book I realized just how poor a job they did in translating the novels.

Has anyone stuck with the TV series? If so, have they corrected things and brought it more in line with the books? I think what annoyed me the most is that on the show, Harry is a stumbling nitwit that can barely do magic to save his life, but in the novels he's a legit badass.
Old 04-30-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I quit way back after three episodes. I haven't read any of the books.
Old 04-30-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw 4-5 eps.. have a ton on tivo.. cant really get excited about it..
its all about heroes
Old 04-30-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
I quit way back after three episodes. I haven't read any of the books.
Check the books out, they're great. He still has a lot of the problems that the TV show character has, but he's more capable. Most of the characters are better also... the only debatable one is Bob. In the novels, Bob is just a spirit bound to a skull, he can't take human form, and he's an insane perv. While that's nothing like the Bob on the show, I do like the way Terrence Mann plays the TV version.

All in all the show would have been better if they had just paid Jim Butcher some money for the inspiration and renamed the characters and called it something different.

BTW, you can get the books at Amazon.com as part of the buy 3 get 1 free promotion. I believe there are 8 out in paperback and book 9 just came out in hardcover.
Old 05-01-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually enjoy the show, and think I could find far less enjoyable ways to spend the 42 minutes once a week. Hopefully the show will get a second season.
Old 05-01-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a couple episodes. Wasn't that interesting to me so I stopped.
Old 05-02-07, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ravan
saw 4-5 eps.. have a ton on tivo.. cant really get excited about it..
its all about heroes
Ditto, I'll probably delete them because I'm filling up my hard drive. The only good thing I can say about the series is that when I first watched it I said to myself, "What a great idea, I wish it had been done better." So I went out and bought the books. They're good (not great) and get beter as you go along. So I gotta thank Sci-fi for introducing me to the books.

The thing I hate most about the show (and even the books) is it reminds me how much I want to see "Cast a Deadly Spell" on DVD. It was an old HBO original movie that perfectly captured the feel that this series was going for (and did it 100% better).
Old 05-02-07, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually watched the whole season except one episode, which I later found out was the pilot (shown out of order). I almost stopped watching around the third or fourth week after a really bad episode, but I stuck with it. It slowly gets better, but never achieves greatness. Still, if the writers can work from the first season and improve on the next (if there is one), I could see it turn from a good show into a great one.

I guess for a letter grade I'd give the first season a B-.
Old 05-02-07, 11:57 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I haven't read the books, I enjoy the show a lot more than those that have do. I even gotten a couple of friends to tune it. They could ratchet it up a notch or two but I still find it entertaining.
Old 05-02-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I know that people won't like this but, I thought that the first season of Dresden Files was better than the first season of Buffy. It definitely has it's problem but, got better as it went along.