DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Weddingstravaganza: A question trifecta

The Bus
04-30-07, 06:10 PM
OK, three things. I'm going to a friend's wedding this weekend in Charlotte, NC. I'm flying into RDU and taking a car to Charlotte. I've not seen my friend in seven years although I talk to her 1x year or so. We never dated, just had a good friendship for about two years in college.

Here are my questions:

1. What is an appropriate gift? I'm just giving cash. Is $100 an adequate amount? I don't want to seem cheap but this is also not a family member or very close friend.

2. Tell me about car rentals. Any companies to avoid or to go after? I know not to get the insurance since my credit card covers that type of stuff. I assume I also pay for gas? What do I "look out" for? Is there a mid-range American car that's fun to drive? I'm only renting for about 24 hours so I don't mind upgrading (sadly the Shelby Mustangs are not available :().

3. What is there to do in or between Charlotte, NC and Raleigh/Durham, NC? I have a few (2-4) hours available on the day I go back. Anything neat in either town? Or maybe a picturesque route I can take.

That's all. Thanks!

ernestrp
04-30-07, 06:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte%2C_NC

-popcorn-

NCMojo
04-30-07, 06:48 PM
3. What is there to do in or between Charlotte, NC and Raleigh/Durham, NC? I have a few (2-4) hours available on the day I go back. Anything neat in either town? Or maybe a picturesque route I can take.
Meet me for a beer. :toast:

Failing that... go to Durham and Chapel Hill, specifically Duke Gardens (http://www.hr.duke.edu/dukegardens/) and Franklin Street. If you want to stay in Charlotte, you could go to the Mint Museum (http://www.themintmuseums.org/general_info.php). In Raleigh, there's the NC Museum of Art (http://www.ncartmuseum.org/).

Tracer Bullet
04-30-07, 06:58 PM
Chapel Hill is more interesting than either Durham or Raleigh, although "interesting" is a relative term in that area.

NotThatGuy
04-30-07, 07:36 PM
3. What is there to do in or between Charlotte, NC and Raleigh/Durham, NC?

NC Mojo?

-p

movie diva
04-30-07, 08:42 PM
1. What is an appropriate gift? I'm just giving cash. Is $100 an adequate amount? I don't want to seem cheap but this is also not a family member or very close friend.

I think that is more than enough, they will be glad to get it. Buy a nice card to put it in.

Deftones
04-30-07, 08:49 PM
Cash is good. I'm in the school of thought if you have to travel a distance for the wedding, you don't need to give as much, but I'm sure I'm the minority.

The Bus
04-30-07, 09:25 PM
NC Mojo I asked the Short Bus what she thought of us meeting for beers and she said, "Wait, I forget. Is he one of the really weird ones?"

:lol:

The Bus
05-01-07, 07:31 PM
The company that had convertibles for cheap ran out of them. I'm not stuck with a Buick. I told The Short Bus to bring her granny glasses. We're driving slooooow.

yojimbo44
05-01-07, 10:46 PM

that's a fine amount - i got married almost 4 years ago and we received an equal split of cash and gifts, and of course some of the gifts we received two or three of - with the cash, we were able to get what we needed after we settled - or, of course, it makes a nice bonus to go along with a honeymoon - we had a tight budget for ours, and a couple of extra $$$ really helped us enjoy ourselves and not worry about breaking the bank.

cheers and have a good time

NCMojo
05-01-07, 10:55 PM
NC Mojo I asked the Short Bus what she thought of us meeting for beers and she said, "Wait, I forget. Is he one of the really weird ones?"

:lol:
And how did you answer? :sad: