Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you dragged your parents to see with you (and vise versa for current parents)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you dragged your parents to see with you (and vise versa for current parents)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see, I dragged my dad to see the last theatrical Ernest movie (Ernest Scared Stupid) he actually some what enjoyed it. I got my mom to take me and my brother to see the first power rangers movie (she hated it with a passion from what she told me recently.) I also dragged her to see the third Scream movie with a friend, she meant to drop us off and for her to go see Tallented mr ripley but the theater wouldn't let her do that (i was i think 14 or 15) She again thought it was mindless and stupid and was somewhat surprised to hear that Courtney Cox had a foul mouth (she was a big friends fan) but obviously didn't mind it. My parents were cool for the most part with R rated movies, i remeber seeing Eraser, Leathal Weaopn 4 and Arlington Road in theaters all before i was 15.
Old 04-30-07, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Looking back at my first years of going to the movies at such an early age, you would think that it was me who dragged my mom & dad to see the likes of:
They Call Me Bruce
Yor
Super Fuzz
The Incredible shrinking woman
Boogens
Spacehunter
Timerider
Heartbeeps
Space Raiders
Ator
On Any Sunday II
Flash Gordon

But to tell you the truth, that's what my mom & dad wanted to see! Guess that's where I get my B-movie love from.
The only one that comes to mind that I remember *regrettingly* forcing them to take me to see was Slapstick of Another Kind. lol. I don't remember anyone talking about that movie on the drive back home. But I'm pretty sure we were all thinking "What the hell did I just watch?"
(There sure was some STRANGE stuff being made from 1980-1983!)

I think the most recent movie that I took them to see (And was unsure of the results) was House of Flying Daggers. Dad liked it. Mom loved it. One of the most satisfactory times I've had with the folks at the movies.
Old 04-30-07, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the original teenage mutant ninja turtles, ace ventura, dumb and dumber.
Old 04-30-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Had my dad take me to see all the Bond movies till I was eleven and went to OHMSS by myself. Got him to take me to just about every horror/sci-fi bill at the drive-in(except winter, he refused to go). Kids under 12 were free. He'd give me some money for the snack bar and then fall asleep sometime during the first movie. After all the movies were over I'd wake him up and we'd go home. One of the first ones we went to was Blood Feast and after that he'd always say. "One of them isn't Blood Feast is it?" when I'd ask him to take me.
The one time I can remember him wanting me to see a movie was the original Airport. He'd seen it the night before on a date(must have got laid, he was in a pretty good mood). He was all "You gotta see this movie! It's great!" The only time I ever saw him act like that, except about going to baseball games, that was his trip, baseball.
I asked him once what his favorite movie was. He replied The Lost Weekend. He had seen it on a weekend pass while in the army.
Old 04-30-07, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I subjected my Mom to Poltergeist - needless to say she wasn't amused...
Old 04-30-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Departed -Yeah, that was akward and probably won't be watching that movie again with the parents.

Children of Men -They had zero interest and ended up loving it.
Old 04-30-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
It's been a long while since I went to the movies with my parents (mom and/or dad), here are a few:

Ghostbusters II
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Quick Change
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III

and others I can't remember right now.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 04-30-07 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-30-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
I took my grandma to see Men in Black
Old 04-30-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if any of us dragged each other, but the last movie we saw togther as a family (all 6) was Smokey and the Bandit.
Old 04-30-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dragged my Mom to go see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me because I was a huge fan of the series. Pretty uncomfortable during certain scenes (you'll know if you've seen the flick).

But he best was taking my Great Aunt to the movies a few years before she passed. She hadn't been to the movies since the forties and we took her to Back to the Future: Part 2 Her eyes just about bulged out of her head the whole time. She loved it.
Old 04-30-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one movie that everyone still remembers me dragging them to was Tron. I was about 12 at the time. There were about 20 people in the theatre when the movie started. Me, my mom and dad, and my sisters were the only ones left at the end. I was the only one who was awake at the end. True story.

Whenever one of my parents is having trouble sleeping, they say "Can I borrow Tron from you?"
Old 04-30-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I haven't seen anything with both parents in awhile in the theater - we watch a lot of movies at my house when they visit. I usually try to take my dad to "guy" flicks that my mother probably won't like: 300 and Blade: Trinity were two recent examples.

I remember throwing an absolute fit when my parents wanted to take me to see Back to the Future - I was about 9 at the time and it was one of those situations where I just got something in my head (I do NOT want to see this movie!!!) and made sure everyone knew how unhappy I was about it - and of course, I absolutely loved every minute of the movie. How my parents put up with me, I'll never know.

For some reason, my parents also took us to see Robocop - to this day I don't think they were getting into. I was about 11 at the time, which would have made my brother 7 - I cannot believe they took us to that.

We never had issues with rated R movies growing up (and my father is a minister, even) but Robocop was a bit much. I thought it kicked ass though.

Another big memory I have is seeing The Empire Strikes Back in 1980 at the River Hills Theater in Des Moines. I grew up in Sioux City and we were in Ames for the annual Methodist conference. My parents took me down to DSM to see the movie. We moved to Des Moines when I was in high school and in 1997 I was going to school in Ames and drove back to DSM to see the re-release of Empire at...the River Hills Theater. It was an awesome experience. That theater closed soon after too, which was a shame.

Last edited by Draven; 04-30-07 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I begged my father to take me to see The Exterminator, a cheap, vulgar action revenge action flick from the 70s. Filled with torture, murder, and child molestation. We both left quite shaken and never mentioned it again.
Old 04-30-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only having been born in 1987 I find these stories about dragging parents to see these types of movies hilarious. Although I will admit to seeing RoboCop 1 and 2 when I was in preschool. Why the hell was that movie such a hit with kids back in the day?

Let's see. I have a LOT of these. But the five most memorable...

1. I saw Batman Forever at 2 P.M. on opening day with my cousin, who was living with me and my mother at the time. Don't remember anything else about that day.

2. I went to see Almost Famous with my mother, stepfather, and stepsister the night before my 13th birthday. I loved it, my mom loved it, the latter two fell asleep.

3. I saw The Royal Tenenbaums in the theater three times, the first time with my parents (I sat with a friend) and then twice alone. A friend was with me the third time.

4. The fact that I saw Godzilla opening weekend with my stepdad still disturbs me to this day. I want to be like Kyle Reese and go back to 1998 and tell my younger self to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (which opened the same weekend IIRC).

5. Here's my favorite one. I had gone to see Con Air with my parents back in June 1997 (ten years ago...damn), and my mother thought it was the most repulsive thing she'd ever seen. She's someone who's never watched a Die Hard or Terminator or Rambo movie, and no chance in hell would she have been sired by an explosion-filled Jerry Bruckheimer production. Later that year I made her go see Bean with me and a friend of mine (friend's parents wouldn't let us go alone). She hated it. A lot. A whole fuckin' lot. A few weeks later she made me go see The Rainmaker. It was a miserable experience. Mucho miserable. But in retrospect it was a really funny case of revenge.

As a final note, I wanted to go see Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (WHY!?) when it came out. My parents made me see The Green Mile with them. Amazingly, my 12-year-old self loved the shit out of all three hours of it.
Old 04-30-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Movies my parents dragged me to that I hated: Much Ado About Nothing and Jean de Florette.

Movie I dragged my parents to that I thought was hilarious but elicited severe worry from them: Very Bad Things.

Last movie we all saw together: King Kong.
Old 04-30-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my parents came to all the movies i went to when i was little for more the most part. the two i really remember going to with my dad are rounders and the second TMNT's when i was a kid. rounders is now one of our favorite movies. my dad's running joke about going to movies is, "the last movie i saw in the theatre was ben-hur."

i made my brother go to sideways with me when it came out, needless to say, he didn't really like it and we usually agree on movies.
Old 04-30-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Movies my parents dragged me to that I hated: Much Ado About Nothing and Jean de Florette.
Omega Code for me.
Plus, even though I was in my 20's, I REALLY wanted to see Toy Story 2. My pop and I were visiting family down south and felt like taking a breather by going to the movies. I tried my best to convince my dad that Pixar stuff appeals to adults too. Just when it looked like he would cave in, we arrived at the theater to find out that every damn showtime was sold out. So we had to settle on seeing that piece a shit, Bone Collector.

Way back when I was little, my mom decided to get artsy and dragged me to see Phar Lap. Man, I gave her complete hell during that movie and she finally had enough and yanked me out (I apologize if I upset any other viewers at the theater with my nagging) However, she also dragged me to see Monsignor, a movie that was just as, if not more, boring than Phar Lap. But I guess since I recognized Christopher Reeve, I never complained one bit especially at the boobies

Another one that I was forced to see along with some relatives, but didn't want to, was Stand and Deliver. Ended up really liking that one though.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 04-30-07 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 06:31 PM
JIF

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The Empire Strikes Back

I knew my mom could care less, but she was gracious enough to take me when I was a kid.
Old 04-30-07, 06:41 PM
Banned

I don't remember really dragging my parents to see anything or vice versa. Well I took my dad to see "The Departed" He liked it but surprised at all the swearing
Old 04-30-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My parents were (and are) both awesome...I never really had to drag them anywhere. My mom took me to see films like He-Man and TMNT without complaining, and my dad would happily bring me to things like Naked Gun and My Cousin Vinny.
Old 04-30-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

drug my dad to stand in line for star wars on opening weekend (i was 8 at the time). still my most memorable movie-going experience.
Old 05-01-07, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was actually half talking about times where for the parents out there having beeing dragged to some of the kiddie movies of today and what not.
I also remeber my mom taking me and my brother to the movies in 96, i think we wanted to see the second homeward bound movie, but the projection was broken when we got to the theater, there were two other options, Mars Attacks or Beavis and butthead do america, i convinced her for beavis and butthead. i don't think she was quite amused by all the toilet humor.
I also remeber my brother (he's 2 years younger then me) taking me to see the first Pokemon movie, god that movie sucked ass, but hey he liked it (and thankfully out grew it by the time the second one came out. Although as a treat to my sister, i took her son to see the secodn pokemon movie, somehow it wasn't as bad as the first one.
Oh and I took my dad to see kill bill vol 1 (he's a big tarantino fan) and hated it citing it was too violent and that half the movie was subtitled. I almost convinced him to see Hero with me, but so i wouldn't have to hear shit from him, i backed down at the last second and said it was 100% subtitled.
Old 05-01-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got straight A's when I was in 4th grade I think (somewhere around there) and I made her take me to Friday the 13th part 4 and she absolutely hated it.

More recently, the wife, mother in law and I went to Children of Men and the MIL really liked it.
Old 05-02-07, 01:26 PM

Beavis & Butt-Head Do America

twice
Old 05-02-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Jaws IV: The Revenge
Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip
Blake Edward's 10
Porky's

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.