TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Old 04-29-07, 11:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Sounds like now the movies may not happen

TV Guide: How do you view your time spent on Deadwood?
Boothe: I think I've been incredibly fortunate to be associated with a writer and a creator of the caliber of [series creator] David Milch. What David did with Deadwood was not only groundbreaking, but he also created a kind of new genre. For me, it was almost like doing Shakespeare.

TV Guide: I imagine your Shakespeare background made Milch's dialogue a little easier to handle.
Boothe: Well, it certainly helped. It was like doing Shakespeare in that if you had one word out of place, the dialogue just flat didn't work.

TV Guide: What do you think of Deadwood going out the way it is?
Boothe: I, like everyone, was stunned, because when we left the third season, it wasn't a matter of, "Are we going to do a fourth?" They were negotiating a fifth. And then I got the call from [Milch] that it was all over. I was like, "Are you kidding me?"

TV Guide: Why is Cy Tolliver so clearly tormented?
Boothe: David explained it to me like this: [Cy] was raised in a whorehouse. So you can imagine watching your mother turn tricks and what it does to your thoughts on women. He's a con man, a gambler and a pimp. He's a businessman. And the one thing he can't do is have emotions. But he has feelings for Joanie Stubbs. And he tries to justify them and why she doesn't come back to him. It feeds on his psychosis about his youth and women in general. He has god issues, too. He faced his death and came through it. I think of all the characters — and David told me this — Cy is the only character whose hole card hasn't been revealed yet. I keep waiting for it to happen.

TV Guide: What's the state of the supposed finales?
Boothe: We're planning on doing two two-hour movies this summer. They're talking about [starting production in] June, but I'll tell you, honestly, as much as I hope it happens, I'll believe it when I see it. When a cast splits up, it's hard to bring them back together.

TV Guide: Do you mean that the fate of the movies is in jeopardy?
Boothe: If we don't do it in June, I don't think it'll ever be done, because, look, various people have pilots for other series. I have other commitments, and I know Ian [McShane] has other commitments. That [June] time slot is kind of it. But I think if any show ever deserved at least that much, it's Deadwood
http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/In...-E067FFD94D02}

Last edited by MrX; 04-29-07 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shit.
Old 04-30-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
If there was ever a corporate hack that deserved to lose their fucking job it is Chris Albrecht. Killing off two excellent series in their prime (Rome & Deadwood) while extending too far on Sopranos and weakening it. Fucking idiot.
Old 04-30-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nefarious
If there was ever a corporate hack that deserved to lose their fucking job it is Chris Albrecht. Killing off two excellent series in their prime (Rome & Deadwood) while extending too far on Sopranos and weakening it. Fucking idiot.
Carnivale demands to be remembered as Albrecht's greatest abortion.
Old 04-30-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Milch has to finish the first season of "John From Cincinnati" anyway...it's unlikely that they could do it before the Fall regardless of whether they could get the actors together before then or not.

Besides, Milch will probably wind up killing off one or two of your favorites (with Swearengen being a prime target) in the TV movies, so I, for one, will be more than happy if they NEVER get around to these.

It's not like Season III ended on a cliffhanger or anything...
Old 04-30-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's not like Season III ended on a cliffhanger or anything...
Talk about a fucking let-down of epic proportions.
Old 04-30-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This whole situation makes me want to punch somebody.

Every time I see a stupid "John From Cincinnati" promo, I want to throw something at my TV. I hope the show tanks after one season and Milch has no choice but to go back to the show that he left for dead.
Old 04-30-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Rome actually got some form of closure and was more or less labeled an uber-mini-series to avoid the whole debacle of a cancel label. It got to say it was finished.
Old 04-30-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Go back to a show he left for dead? I wouldn't exactly blame him from what I have read about what happened. I enjoyed what he gave us, and I'll check out his new show because I like the guy's work.
Old 04-30-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Didnt he turn down the half season and the movies at first? Than later he said okay to the movies?

Im not shocked the movies wont come. Not that it matters, season 3 was unbearably awful and the movies would probably be a whole lot of nothing, just like the finale. Nonetheless, HBO is absolute shit. Just a few more Soprano eps until I cancel.
Old 04-30-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Didnt he turn down the half season and the movies at first? Than later he said okay to the movies?

Im not shocked the movies wont come. Not that it matters, season 3 was unbearably awful and the movies would probably be a whole lot of nothing, just like the finale. Nonetheless, HBO is absolute shit. Just a few more Soprano eps until I cancel.
From what I remember hearing, Milch turned them down at first because he was trying to play hardball with the HBO brass, saying he needed a full season to wrap up all the storylines. When he realized he wasn't going to get that, he was left scrambling for whatever he could get.
Old 04-30-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
From what I remember hearing, Milch turned them down at first because he was trying to play hardball with the HBO brass, saying he needed a full season to wrap up all the storylines. When he realized he wasn't going to get that, he was left scrambling for whatever he could get.

No, he opted for the different format because every episode takes place over the course of a single day in Deadwood, and he couldn't wrap it up without messing with that, so he wanted a different format for the end.
Old 04-30-07, 03:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Go back to a show he left for dead? I wouldn't exactly blame him from what I have read about what happened. I enjoyed what he gave us, and I'll check out his new show because I like the guy's work.
But wasn't he starting up production of that John in Cinci show? He had other things on his mind other than Deadwood at that moment.
Old 04-30-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
No, he opted for the different format because every episode takes place over the course of a single day in Deadwood, and he couldn't wrap it up without messing with that, so he wanted a different format for the end.
So, he didn't want a full season?

I remember reading that he pushed for a full season, HBO offered half a season, Milch played hardball and said he couldn't do it, and they finally settled on the two 2-hour films. Maybe me saying he was scrambling was too strong, but I'm fairly certain he was pushing hard for the full-season order and had to settle for the films.
Old 04-30-07, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spoke to him a couple days ago and he sounded more optimistic about production starting in June.
Old 04-30-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BJacks
I spoke to him a couple days ago and he sounded more optimistic about production starting in June.
By him do you mean David Milch or Powers Boothe?
Old 04-30-07, 06:05 PM

Boothe.
Old 07-12-07, 09:58 PM

any word on the production?
Old 07-12-07, 11:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
From today's TCA panel

The two executives said the likelihood of producing movies to wrap up the “Deadwood” saga was about 50-50.

“Our intention is to do them,” Mr. Lombardo said, adding the network doesn’t have holds on most of the actors, who have since moved on to other projects. He said they plan to revisit the movie question with executive producer David Milch at the end of the summer.
http://www.tvweek.com/news/2007/07/h...et_to_come.php
Old 07-13-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a sad thing when I go to the movies now-a-days and see so many of the Deadwood actors popping up in what appear to be pretty shitty movies.

I would be curious to see how movies would work for Deadwood. The season's were such slow burns, how could they accomplish that in 2 hours?
Old 07-13-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really hoping for good news when I saw this thread was bumped. I guess 50-50 isn't bad news, but I wanted to hear that they started shooting already.
Old 07-13-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Olyphant said the same thing - that the movies are a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of thing.
Old 07-13-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think that 50-50 is very generous, and Boothe was probably right when he said he'd believe it when he sees it, and if it didn't happen this summer it'd probably never happen.

All the actors have moved on. You'll never get the top castmembers available at the same time again. Even if Milch was ready--and he shows no signs of really caring--it's not important enough to derail or postpone the actor's current and future projects.

Last edited by adamblast; 07-13-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This blog post some more details and paints a more accurate, if grimmer picture:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/t...ves/118006.asp

"David Milch is exhausted," explained HBO exec Michael Lombardo. "We haven't had a conversation with him about scheduling the production of those movies since he's been immersed in 'John From Cincinnati.'"

Lombardo and co-president Michael Plepler foxtrotted around the "Deadwood" issue, saying that they intended for the movies to happen but of course they might not, and that it all depended on whether HBO decides to give "John" a second season, to be determined by the end of the summer. But maybe not.

Then came the "ifs": If HBO runs with "John," Milch has to start writing the scripts immediately, which means no "Deadwood." If "John" wipes out, there's still the matter of pulling the actors together, because the channel no longer has holds on them, and ... you know, let's not upset the great one, OK?

This game should be familiar to anyone who been dumped at some point. If HBO intended to go forward with "Deadwood's" movie wrap, they would mention something about ongoing conversations or things in development or any number of phrases designed to inspire hope and patience. None of those crossed anyone's lips this afternoon. ...
Old 07-13-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
Talk about a fucking let-down of epic proportions.
Trust me, I wanted Hearst dead more then anybody, but that's the downside of running a show based off history.

At this point, I doubt the movies are going to be made. Everybody has moved on. Deadwood was 36 of the finest television hours made in history, let's leave it at that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.