Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

best versions of Twilight Zone Eps - Owl Creek and Shatners Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best versions of Twilight Zone Eps - Owl Creek and Shatners Nightmare

I do like Twilight Zone but am not going to buy all of them (Vol 1-30+) or the Collections or the Definitive Edition Seasons. Really all I want is 2:

* Shatner's Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
* Owl Creek Bridge

Both are in Season 5 and I have found that Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is on vol 2 of the Collection.

Owl Creek Bridge, though, has a separate release under a DVD by the same name - much pricier though ($12 @ DDD / $15 @ Amazon) - better, I do not know. I just feel that this pricier one is going to be a re-packaged Twilight zone ep with the same quality and nothing more, except much higher price.

Also, IIRC, there was a re-release of all the eps, Image vs CBS (??) and as I recall it was said the earlier Image ones were really bad.

I am almost thinking I may have to live with bad quality pics to get just these.

Any thoughts on what to get? Thanks.
Old 04-27-07, 10:31 PM

Its wierd.....is the occurrence dvd on DDD the Twilight zone episode?

Because I know the Twilight Zone episode cut short a few minutes off from the original film.
The dvd lists it as 25 minutes but then the description says the original is 28.....

But, I dont think you can get any better quality a Twilight Zone episodes than from the Definitive Edition (for now....)

Those two episodes are great choices though...
Old 04-27-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The reviews for the Occurrence DVD is pretty lackluster:

This DVD (which I'm returning) contains a very poor, degraded copy of the Oscar-winning film, as editted, dubbed and re-titled for "The Twilight Zone." The lack of the ORIGINAL film (not repackaged for TZ), or any of the original credits makes me seriously question whether this is even an authorized release. Only the TZ-style onscreen credits remain. Very disappointing presentation of what is otherwise a beautiful film.
Just now I watched this dvd. The quality was appalling, and the experience was the biggest let-down imaginable. I couldn't believe it. Fuzzy, with incredibly poor sound. There are some idiotic, semi-literate "Discussion Topics" included on the disc. Plus a reasonable short written bio of Bierce's life. Surely, surely there must be a better print of this memorable film?
Old 05-06-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by forumsmy
Any thoughts on what to get? Thanks.
The first releases of the Twilight Zone went something like this:
1. Treasures of The Twilight Zone
2. More Treasures of the Twilight Zone
3. The Twilight Zone Volume 1
then Volumes 2-43.

they were all released as single discs at first. then they later repackaged them in slim cases and sold them as box sets, but those first two releases ended up in the last box set at the end of the Volume ## releases.

If you just want to buy two single discs:

1. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is on 'Volume 2':
http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=111253

2. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is on 'Treasures of the Twilight Zone':
http://www.dvdplanet.com/Details.cfm?info=ID8979CUDVD
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5749195
Old 05-06-07, 11:21 AM

Thank you all. I appreciate all your comments and information.

I did not want to pay more for a release that was not any better than what was already there. Also I did not know about those "Treasures" releases. Looking at it, the Shatner Treasure also has on it other episodes I had liked and forgotten about, the "Time Enough At Last" and "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street." For the latter I saw the "new" re-make version of it, and it will be nice to see the original again.

Thanks again all.