10 Reasons why "Generation Now" sucks

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-27-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Just for fun and in no order of preference:

1. Red Ring of Death: Poorly design a console & lowball the percent of consoles plagued with the issue. When that doesn't go over with your customers, extend the warranty and offer refunds for repairs, all while still not releasing the percentage of problems.

2. Multiple SKUs: Do we really need three options for a console that does the same thing in all three? Sony follows the MS lead and also does two skus. Just give us one GAMING console for one price. Kudos Nintendo for getting it right.

3. Microtransactions: Horse Armor? Paying for cheat codes? Paying for in game money? $$ for a tiny gamerpic avatar? Paying for content that is on the disc you already paid for? Seriously? All in the name of "testing the market."

4. Friend Codes: here, remember this 16 digit code to enter when you get home and I'll remember yours and hopefully they sync up in the magical unknown so we can be friends and play games send Miis to each other.

5. Wii Availability: Five months in and you still can't find one. Ridiculous. Ramp it up Nintendo, people want your system over the competition and you are doing nothing about it. Inexcusable given how much they did right leading up to the launch.

6. Sixaxis: This has been in development for years! forget that Nintendo just announced their motion control device a few months prior. Let's save some dough and ditch rumble while we're at it. And to top it off let's just cram it all into our 10 year old-stale ass-uncomfortable Dual-Shock design.

7. Blu-Ray: We don't need it and we didn't want it shoved down our throats. We wanted a GAMING successor to the ultra popular GAMING console, the PS2, NOT a movie machine that happens to play games on the side.

8. Limited Edition Games: Just what we needed, a relentless parade of "Limited Edition" game releases that are limited to the number the publisher can manufacture, especially for the 90% of games that aren't deserving of a special edition, let alone the $70 pricetag. Thanks to all you suckers that bought Halo 2: LE for this one. I'm one of them. Pre-order your Limted Edition copy of Ratatouille today!

9. Unfinished Games: With the advent of constant connectivity came the advent of shoving games out the door before they are done, making customers wonder if a patch will ever be released. I want a working title for my $60, thank you very much, not a laggy P.O.S. with limited functionality because the publisher wanted the quick buck. Get it right the first time.

10. Pricing: Somehow: Next-Gen = Rape the customer. $400 and $600 consoles? $50 controllers? $60-$70 games? $10 casual games that are free online? Catalog titles that fetch 1000% more than their value on a compilation disc?

Bonus round
11. Overpromising and Underdelivering: The Sony Company Mission Statement. Special nod to Xbox Backwards compatibility.