Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner Re-Shoots, Apparently

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edit

Last edited by K Tm S; 05-10-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I don't know about that stuff. For one, I think they could have shot that stuff without Cassidy. Two, that seems like a minor change.
Old 04-27-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Its funny i was listening to the Esper Edition soundtrack this morning on the way to work.

The scene of her running through the glass is a tad dodgy. You can tell its the stunt guy easily. It will be interesting to see if this is true and how well it would be done. The camera angles used were perfect so i don't think they should change that at all.

I don't think there is a single release of a DVD that i am anticipating as much as this. My favourite movie of all time hands down and i just cannot wait to see all the extras they include. I hope it has the Edge of Bladerunner doc that Channel 4 in England produced. Excellent documentary. I would also like to see any of the deleted scenes such as Deckard visiting Holden when he is in the life support chamber. I just hope to god that they include the original theatrical version as well as part of the set. I have always loved the narration and as much as liked the DC i still prefer the original cut. I will settle for the International Cut being included.
Old 04-27-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love everything about this movie. I even love the monotone "Don't Walk" signs during this scene.
Old 04-27-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I love everything about this movie. I even love the monotone "Don't Walk" signs during this scene.

And don't forget the "Cross Now.....Cross Now....Cross Now."

They managed to get the whole feel, atmosphere and ambience of this movie perfect. No movie has ever come close to creating a future world as realistic IMO.
Old 04-27-07, 12:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honestly, since they're releasing the other versions of the movie on the big collector's set, they can do whatever they want to this new director's cut. I'll still have the European theatrical cut and I'll be happy.
Old 04-27-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
Its funny i was listening to the Esper Edition soundtrack this morning on the way to work.

The scene of her running through the glass is a tad dodgy. You can tell its the stunt guy easily. It will be interesting to see if this is true and how well it would be done. The camera angles used were perfect so i don't think they should change that at all.
That was the only downside to watching Blade Runner DC in HD recently. The wires on the cars are obvious as is Joanna Cassidy's stunt double. Not to mention the flesh colored suit the double is wearing underneath the coat. But that was visible even on my old VHS copy.

I do hope the HD-DVD/Blu-ray set includes the original versions though, warts and all.
Old 04-27-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I must be blind as a bat. I've never noticed this when watching BR. In fact, there's tons of movie "errors" I never notice until they're pointed out to me on the internet.
Old 04-27-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^Don't feel so bad, I'm the same way. I watch a movie to enjoy it and immerse myself in it, not to find it's faults. Ok... maybe after I've seen it 10 times I notice things but most often they need to be pointed out. I alwasy just assume that whatever is on screen is what the director intended.
Old 04-27-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
The new edition had better include the original theatrical cut or I will not be buying it.
Old 04-27-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
^Don't feel so bad, I'm the same way. I watch a movie to enjoy it and immerse myself in it, not to find it's faults. Ok... maybe after I've seen it 10 times I notice things but most often they need to be pointed out. I alwasy just assume that whatever is on screen is what the director intended.

Me too.

Movie watching to me is all about the suspension of disbelief; not looking for errors whether they be wires, microphones or oddly positioned shadows.
Old 04-27-07, 08:02 PM
Suspended

I wonder how much she aged
Old 04-27-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
I hope it has the Edge of Bladerunner doc that Channel 4 in England produced. Excellent documentary.
Here's that documentary
Old 04-27-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully, they reshoot the unicorn dream. Originally, they had shot a whole bunch of footage which was intercut with shots of Deckerd looking at photos. Unfortunately, it was all lost, and the Director's Cut just plops in a few seconds from an outtake.
Old 04-27-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, where the hell is this? I've been waiting for this since at least 2001. Even though I own the DVD, it is one of the few I've never watched. I loved the original version and watched it at least 50 times on HBO and VHS. After buying the DVD I heard about the poor transfer and wasn't very excited about the "director's cut". I've been meaning to watch this again, and even planned a movie night double feature with Dark City for my son and I (he hasn't seen either). Now I'm wondering if I should wait some more. I've been hearing that its around the corner for more than five years.
Old 04-27-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Thanks for the link. I had never seen that before.
Old 04-28-07, 12:05 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Rizor
Hopefully, they reshoot the unicorn dream. Originally, they had shot a whole bunch of footage which was intercut with shots of Deckerd looking at photos. Unfortunately, it was all lost, and the Director's Cut just plops in a few seconds from an outtake.
Actually, I was hoping they cut out the unicorn scene and all suggestion Deckard is a replicant altogether.
Old 04-28-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Actually, I was hoping they cut out the unicorn scene and all suggestion Deckard is a replicant altogether.
Isn't the fact that he, himself is a replicant kind of the point of the movie. It's certainly what Scott intended.
Old 04-28-07, 01:29 AM
Banned by request

Actually, the point of the movie is that Deckard is wrong to hunt down the replicants, because they are as human as humans, if not more so.

Spoiler:
This is evidenced in the final scene, where Batty saves Deckard from falling to his death, despite the fact that Deckard has killed everyone Batty loved as well as trying to kill Batty himself. Batty then gives the famous "tears in rain" speech which shows that the only reason he went on a rampage was an attempt to preserve his life, full of exotic and incredible experiences. All Deckard can do is sit there and watch him in awe, as he realizes how hollow his life has been in comparison, even though he himself is human. If he is a replicant, this scene is robbed of all its power, because Deckard is the comparison point to Batty. If Deckard is a replicant, all it shows is that one replicant is more empathetic than another replicant. It doesn't show that a replicant has more empathy than a human (and remember the test in the film checks for lack of empathy as the telltale sign of a replicant). Also, if Deckard is a replicant, than his lack of empathy isn't a moral dilemma, it's just a by-product of his manufacture. The entire point of that scene is that Batty has developed humanity while Deckard, representing humanity, has lost it.

The entire "Is Deckard a replicant?" issue has come from two sources. One, in the book Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? on which the film is based, there is a chapter where the hunter character (don't remember if he's called Deckard in the book, but I'll call him that here for simplicity's sake) is taken to a police station that he's never seen before in his own police district. This is an entirely separate police station that appears to run independently of Deckard's own station. While in there, he meets another hunter who has Deckard as a target, claiming he's a replicant. For a few paragraphs, Deckard wonders if perhaps he really IS a replicant, and that the police station he knows was an elaborate ruse set up to make him believe he was just a regular police hunter. But then something tips him off that he's not dealing with humans, and he kills the other hunter and the police chief and discover that they are both replicants, proving that he is NOT one. It's not a big section of the book and at the end Deckard is certain that he is human.

The second reason for the big furor over whether he's a replicant is actually due to a script error. In one draft of the script, there are six replicants who escape, and one gets fried in the escape attempt. There were scenes where Deckard retired the fifth replicant as well. In later revisions, this got turned down to the four who appear on the film, but the line in the script never got changed. So in the scene where the police captain fills in Deckard, he says six replicants escaped and one got fried. This obviously leaves five, and people wondered who the fifth was. Then someone got the bright idea that Deckard himself must be the fifth replicant, implanted with memories to believe he's a blade runner. This makes no sense on many levels. First, if Deckard was part of the group that escaped, why doesn't any other member of the group recognize him? Second, why doesn't he have the strength or the reflexes that the other replicants do? Even the ones built for entertainment beat the crap out of him.

As for it being what Scott intended, that is not true at all. As detailed in the making of Blade Runner book, the author mentions an argument between Scott and Harrison Ford. Ford felt Deckard should not in any way be a replicant and Scott felt it should be ambiguous. In later years, as fans bugged him incessantly, he eventually relented and flat out said Deckard is a replicant, further cementing my opinion that Scott's creative faculties have diminished greatly since making Blade Runner.

But Blade Runner completely falls apart in both theme and continuity if Deckard is a replicant. That's one of the many reasons my favorite version of the film is the European theatrical cut, sans happy ending.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-29-07 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-28-07, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, Supermallet, I understand where you are coming from. I first saw this in the early 80's when I was 12 or 13 and I always assumed Deckard was a replicant (I have only seen the US theatrical version). It made sense to me then, and now. I don't think it invalidates the ending at all. Batty showed more compasion than a human regardless of Deckard's status.

As far as him being one of the 4 or 5 that escaped, I never assumed that. I assumed he was a similar model as Rachael, mimicing a human in almost every way. I thought that he was specificly designed to track down replicants, much like the combat and entertainment replicants have their specialties. As replicants became more human, it would take something more than human to hunt them. I also always felt that Batty recognized him for what he was at the end.

The fact that Ford wanted it to be more clear and Scott wanted it kept ambiguous leads me to believe that it was the intention all along, not the oposite. I have also heard that Ford never liked the idea of Deckard not being human. Regardless, I can't invalidate the fact that Scott says now that he always intended Deckard to be a replicant. I can't believe he would be so off the cuff and simply agree for the fans' sake regarding a movie he considers his best.
Old 04-28-07, 09:56 AM
Banned by request

I stand by my statement that since Deckard is the comparison point to Batty, we don't know whether a human would be more or less compassionate than Batty if Deckard is a replicant. If Deckard is a replicant, there only major character who is a human is Sebastian, who is very compassionate, which again invalidates the point of the ending. If Deckard is human, though, then we have a human who is less empathetic than the people he's hunting.

And I have no problem with the idea that Scott would buckle to fan pressure. I can't think of another movie he's made since Blade Runner that has been even nearly as good.
Old 04-28-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The quality of a man's work and his desire to buckle under fan pressure do not seem related: take George Lucas for example. His work blows and he still won't listen to anyone.
Old 04-28-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As detailed in the making of Blade Runner book, the author mentions an argument between Scott and Harrison Ford. Ford felt Deckard should blatantly be shown to be a replicant (clearly he didn't have a strong grasp of the material, which, considering how many drafts of the script were floating around even at the time of shooting, probably wasn't entirely his fault), and Scott felt it should be ambiguous.
Actually, Ford hated the idea of Deckard being a replicant.
Old 04-28-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, the point of the movie is that Deckard is wrong to hunt down the replicants, because they are as human as humans, if not more so.

Spoiler:
This is evidenced in the final scene, where Batty saves Deckard from falling to his death, despite the fact that Deckard has killed everyone Batty loved as well as trying to kill Batty himself. Batty then gives the famous "tears in rain" speech which shows that the only reason he went on a rampage was an attempt to preserve his life, full of exotic and incredible experiences. All Deckard can do is sit there and watch him in awe, as he realizes how hollow his life has been in comparison, even though he himself is human. If he is a replicant, this scene is robbed of all its power, because Deckard is the comparison point to Batty. If Deckard is a replicant, all it shows is that one replicant is more empathetic than another replicant. It doesn't show that a replicant has more empathy than a human (and remember the test in the film checks for lack of empathy as the telltale sign of a replicant). Also, if Deckard is a replicant, than his lack of empathy isn't a moral dilemma, it's just a by-product of his manufacture. The entire point of that scene is that Batty has developed humanity while Deckard, representing humanity, has lost it.

The entire "Is Deckard a replicant?" issue has come from two sources. One, in the book Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? on which the film is based, there is a chapter where the hunter character (don't remember if he's called Deckard in the book, but I'll call him that here for simplicity's sake) is taken to a police station that he's never seen before in his own police district. This is an entirely separate police station that appears to run independently of Deckard's own station. While in there, he meets another hunter who has Deckard as a target, claiming he's a replicant. For a few paragraphs, Deckard wonders if perhaps he really IS a replicant, and that the police station he knows was an elaborate ruse set up to make him believe he was just a regular police hunter. But then something tips him off that he's not dealing with humans, and he kills the other hunter and the police chief and discover that they are both replicants, proving that he is NOT one. It's not a big section of the book and at the end Deckard is certain that he is human.

The second reason for the big furor over whether he's a replicant is actually due to a script error. In one draft of the script, there are six replicants who escape, and one gets fried in the escape attempt. There were scenes where Deckard retired the fifth replicant as well. In later revisions, this got turned down to the four who appear on the film, but the line in the script never got changed. So in the scene where the police captain fills in Deckard, he says six replicants escaped and one got fried. This obviously leaves five, and people wondered who the fifth was. Then someone got the bright idea that Deckard himself must be the fifth replicant, implanted with memories to believe he's a blade runner. This makes no sense on many levels. First, if Deckard was part of the group that escaped, why doesn't any other member of the group recognize him? Second, why doesn't he have the strength or the reflexes that the other replicants do? Even the ones built for entertainment beat the crap out of him.

As for it being what Scott intended, that is not true at all. As detailed in the making of Blade Runner book, the author mentions an argument between Scott and Harrison Ford. Ford felt Deckard should blatantly be shown to be a replicant (clearly he didn't have a strong grasp of the material, which, considering how many drafts of the script were floating around even at the time of shooting, probably wasn't entirely his fault), and Scott felt it should be ambiguous. In later years, as fans bugged him incessantly, he eventually relented and flat out said Deckard is a replicant, further cementing my opinion that Scott's creative faculties have diminished greatly since making Blade Runner.

But Blade Runner completely falls apart in both theme and continuity if Deckard is a replicant. That's one of the many reasons my favorite version of the film is the European theatrical cut, sans happy ending.
Thank you - great post. I've had so many debates with people about this, especially younger people who have only seen it since the director's cut. I read the book when I was younger, and saw the original release, and have never thought that Deckard was a replicant. Even with the unicorn sequence added, I just assumed he was dreaming about Rachael, because isn't the unicorn origami suppose to be for Rachael? That's what I always assumed, I guess.

Still an amazing film, and the ongoing interest and debate it stirs is just a testament to that.

And I also thought that Ford was the one that was very against the notion Deckard was a replicant.
Old 04-28-07, 02:49 PM

Great Information! I also prefer the original theatrical version with the narration: it gives the movie a "film noir" feeling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.