Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

48 Hours Double Feature claims it's anamorphic... can anyone confirm?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the 48 Hours double feature at Sams today and on the back it said films were both enhanced for widescreen TVs. The individual releases were not anamorphic, I just wanted to see if this was just a repackage of the old DVDs or did they make this new version anamorphic. Below is the version I'm referring to

http://www.amazon.com/48-HRS-Another...7440389&sr=8-2
Old 04-24-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you sure that 48hrs. single disc release is not anamorphic? I thought it was an early one with a lackluster transfer, that's why I've avoided it thus far.
Old 04-24-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to know if any of the special features carried over on any of the new Paramount double features. The original 48 HRS. discs had trailers and they aren't listed for the double feature. Some of the others, like School of Rock, had quite a few special features.
Old 04-24-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to post without an answer, but I was wondering how this was packaged? A single disc flipper? Double-disc amaray? Two thinpaks in a slipcase?
Old 04-24-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just confirm the original releases are non-anamorphic according to dvdcompare and I remember them being that way. I would highly doubt the new double feature is anamorphic but stranger things have happened.
Old 04-24-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phew, just gambled on this PDF at Wal-Mart because it stated they were Anamorphic WS. Good news, no joke, they are in fact 16:9 with only slightly better transfers. 48 hrs looks the best with more clarity in the picture on Murphy's and Nolte's face. Not a dramatic improvement in picture quality, but better. So, no false claim from Paramount.

Still, if you don't care about Anamorphic WS for image quality, this would be a pointless purchase. These look to be the same transfers but in anamorphic WS improving the picture quality.

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I'd love to know if any of the special features carried over on any of the new Paramount double features. The original 48 HRS. discs had trailers and they aren't listed for the double feature. Some of the others, like School of Rock, had quite a few special features.
No trailers for both, hope this info helps everyone out here.

Last edited by dvd_luver; 04-24-07 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A while back I might upgrade for that, but these days I will wait for either HD or a damn nice DVD, not a cheap anamorphic rehash with no bonus stuff.
Old 04-24-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely getting this when it hits under $9.99. Anyone have it on sale under $12.99 anywhere?
Old 04-24-07, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I ordered the EUROTRIP / ROAD TRIP double feature from DDD a few weeks ago.... hoping that Paramount would at least put the FEW special features on these films.

Just checking the back cover on DVDEmpire .... and Paramount has been PATHETIC in not including ANYTHING !!!! It's a bit CHEAP of Paramount - its not as though the extra take up that much more space !!!

I'm now wondering if this is just a SINGLE disc double feature ????

(I might as well ebay this when it arrives - and get a Triple Feature of OLD SCHOOL / ROAD TRIP / EUROTRIP which we will be getting here in Australia in a few weeks time - AT LEAST we can be guarenteed that we get these on 3 discs !!)

Last edited by tonyjg; 04-24-07 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tonyjg
I'm now wondering if this is just a SINGLE disc double feature ????
Yes, it is. It's all on 1 DL dvd. However not all Paramount Double-Features are on 1 disc only.
Old 04-27-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do all Paramount multi-features strip the bonuses? I mean, Beverly Hills Cop still has the bonuses right? Looks like I'll be grabbing the Wayne's World Complete Epic box instead of the double-feature disc.
Old 04-27-07, 07:56 PM
Suspended

7.00 at DD

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=8540891

i have some of warner and paramount double feature DVDs and they're really random. a few have bonus features tacked on and others are bare bones, with only maybe the trailers or tv spots.

but every time i get a widescreen version, the films always look great. for films that i just like to watch every now and then they're perfect pick ups on sale.

for 6.99 like the DD price, (they also have Wayne's World/WW2 at that price) it's a no brainer since the cost is the same as or less than a rental.

but it's gotta be something i'll watch over and over, like 48 hours.
Old 04-28-07, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Do all Paramount multi-features strip the bonuses? I mean, Beverly Hills Cop still has the bonuses right? Looks like I'll be grabbing the Wayne's World Complete Epic box instead of the double-feature disc.

I was going to get the Wayne's World double-feature disc, but according to the cover at dvdempire, there are no extras at all on them. All you get are the movies.

Never bought the 48 Hrs. films, so I may get that double-feature disc.
Old 04-28-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Phew, just gambled on this PDF at Wal-Mart because it stated they were Anamorphic WS. Good news, no joke, they are in fact 16:9 with only slightly better transfers. 48 hrs looks the best with more clarity in the picture on Murphy's and Nolte's face. Not a dramatic improvement in picture quality, but better. So, no false claim from Paramount.

Still, if you don't care about Anamorphic WS for image quality, this would be a pointless purchase. These look to be the same transfers but in anamorphic WS improving the picture quality.

No trailers for both, hope this info helps everyone out here.
Thanks for the info. I'll pick this up to replace my laserdiscs.
Old 04-28-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
7.00 at DD

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=8540891

i have some of warner and paramount double feature DVDs and they're really random. a few have bonus features tacked on and others are bare bones, with only maybe the trailers or tv spots.

but every time i get a widescreen version, the films always look great. for films that i just like to watch every now and then they're perfect pick ups on sale.

for 6.99 like the DD price, (they also have Wayne's World/WW2 at that price) it's a no brainer since the cost is the same as or less than a rental.

but it's gotta be something i'll watch over and over, like 48 hours.

Thanks for the link, may have to bite on that one since there were some other movies on sale i wanted.
Old 05-01-07, 07:57 AM

Picked this up at Mal-Wart on Sunday. The movies are, indeed, anamorphic. I can also confirm that there are NO EXTRAS whatsoever on either movie. Not a big deal to me since the original release only had the trailers anyway but some may have a problem with this. Just FYI.
Old 05-01-07, 11:38 AM

How are these transfers normally? Becouse their crammed onto one disc does this degrade the quality at all? I personally passed on the Beverly Hills Cop Triple pack becouse of the slim cases and have passed on these double features in the past becouse I worried about degradation, but I might pick these up, if its the same quality.
Old 05-01-07, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Thanks for the link, may have to bite on that one since there were some other movies on sale i wanted.
np!
there's some decent stuff on sale there right now, for sure

for the other question about the transfer quality, i haven't watched this particular one yet - but the others i've watched are great.

as soon as i check out this disc (hopefully tonight) i'll post here about my opinion re: the pic quality