Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Germanity

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germanity

I co-wrote/co-directed a short film. It's hitting film festivals this year. If anyone is interested in watching it check it out and give me some feedback. We are currently in pre-production on another to be shot this spring.

The website is www.germanity.com - but don't watch this version, it's the unfinished version with rough sound. But if interested you can check out information on the page.

To watch the festival cut go to www.lot25.org and click on showcase. It's the second one down called Germanity.

Thanks, leave any feedback whether it be positive or negative. I enjoy both. If you have any questions about the filming process or technical stuff ask away.

Matt
Old 04-23-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My german friend says the actors don't sound german.
Old 04-23-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
My german friend says the actors don't sound german.
Seconded. This would've worked much better in English or with actual German speakers. The "German" is downright grating - words and pronunciation are mangled to be very distracting, especially from the female lead.

However the film is really, really cool; the DP especially did a good job. You just need to find some German speakers and do some ADR.
Old 04-24-07, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I know what you are saying. It's quite hard as independent filmmakers to find people that speak fluent/accurate German. But what can you do with 0 budget.
Old 04-24-07, 09:58 AM
Banned

For future reference, when I went to art school there was a bulletin board where people posted solicitations for pretty much everything. (Make it snazzy so it pops out.)
Theater students will usually work with filmmakers just for the credits and a copy of the film for their resume.
If you live near some bigger schools, I’m thinking there’ve got to be some exchange students.
(Looking forward to your film when I get home.)
Old 04-24-07, 07:42 PM
Banned

Very nice.

Are you going to school or was this an independent project? I worked on a couple of projects like this when I was in school (none looked this professional or was actually digital) and was supposed to doing my animation work. I really should have seen a councilor about switching majors.

German’s a rough language. I wouldn’t sweat the accents unless there is a serious attempt to market this and not use it as portfolio. What I took from it:
Spoiler:
That even the most ruthless “villain” in Saving Pt. Ryan was human and this is like an addendum to the story.
I really liked the scene where the close up of the chalk switched focus onto what had really been written on the chalkboard.

Good stuff, man. Care to list some of the equipment you used, or is that a trade secret? The last thing that would have popped into my head was “digital”.
Old 04-27-07, 07:56 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad that you got it. Especially with the rack focus on the chaulkboard, also the birthday cake does it too. And so Does the church scene when they say the Lord's prayer. Originally it was a lot more subtle but we didn't think people would get it.

This wasn't for school. Although I did go to school for video production and digital media production. We did this more or less to spark interest from investors to try and fund upcoming projects. We wanted to show them that we are able to make something from limited resources with no budget and under a short amount of time. We also sent this out to film festivals in PA. In the next to months we are sending it to film festivals all over the US. Hopefully get some recognition that way and maybe spark someones interest.

Equipment we used.

Just used an array of lights. Some red heads. etc.

For the camera we used a DVX 100 with an M2 35mm lense adapter. We used 4 or 5 different Nikon lenses. Not sure exactly which lenses, the DP took care of all that. Other than that no effects were done in Post Production. Everything you see is exactly what came through that camera. No color correction was done either.

we were very tight on budget since we didn't have one. I kept paying out of my pocket waiting for paychecks from my full time job. haha.

People who come across this thread. www.lot25.org under showcase and click on Germanity. That is the final cut festival version.