Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Someone got a hold of my Debit card...

Gizmo
04-23-07, 12:43 AM
Looks like someone got a hold of my Debit card # and decided to purchase a things with it. I have several charges. One is for $1.00 to EA.com, and then right after that is a $39.99 charge from, once again, EA.com. After that I have several in the same amount for $45.03 to apparently a "computer" store. The WaMu operator gave me a Phone # which leads to a voicemail that calls itself "Funk Industry's". I did a reverse Phone Number search and found out the # belongs to someone (with a name) in Sacramento. Apparently I can't do shit until the pending charges have been posted, and then I have to dispute them. Anyone have any past experiences with this? Am I screwed or will WaMu actually give a damn? So far its only for about $200 but who knows how high this will climb.

Joe Molotov
04-23-07, 12:51 AM
So far its only for about $200 but who knows how high this will climb.

I think once you've reported a card as stolen, they can't hold you responsible for any charges that occur after that (but don't hold me to that).

Gizmo
04-23-07, 12:52 AM
I don't even know if I really reported it stolen. I called because I saw several charges I did not make at all. They never put a hold or anything on it, they told me to call back once they are posted. Why should I be responsible for anything?

Joe Molotov
04-23-07, 12:58 AM
Why should I be responsible for anything?

With Debit cards, it's kinda dicey as to whether you can get out of the charges or not. It's not like a credit card, if your debit card gets stolen and you don't report it soon enough, sometimes they'll stick you with the charges, or so I've heard.

Here's some info here: http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/debitcards1.htm

-- Worse, unlike a credit card, under the law, your debit card liability could be as much as $500, if you notify the bank more than 48 hours after you learn of the problem or even up to all the money in your checking account plus your maximum overdraft line of credit if you fail to notify the bank within 60 days (See Fed excerpt below).

Shazam
04-23-07, 12:59 AM
I'm In Urz Debit Card, Hax0ring!

Gizmo
04-23-07, 01:01 AM
Great, so I'm probably screwed. If I don't get every penny back I'm closing the account.

Brent_MN
04-23-07, 01:09 AM
I had $5000 debited from my card to Google's AdWords, when I've never dealt with this service in my life. I disputed it, Wells Fargo reimbursed me within a week, reversed all of my insufficient funds charges, and said they would investigate.

I think they believed my because it wasn't even close to my purchsing patterns.

Several months later, the matter was resolved, my card was erroneously charged, and that was that.

I suppose $39.99 to EA will be harder to dispute though...

Gizmo
04-23-07, 01:11 AM
I had $5000 debited from my card to Google's AdWords, when I've never dealt with this service in my life. I disputed it, Wells Fargo reimbursed me within a week, reversed all of my insufficient funds charges, and said they would investigate.

I think they believed my because it wasn't even close to my purchsing patterns.

Several months later, the matter was resolved, my card was erroneously charged, and that was that.

I suppose $39.99 to EA will be harder to dispute though...

Wouldn't the $1 charge be enough to show someone was trying to see if my account was real before going nuts on it?

Brent_MN
04-23-07, 01:34 AM
Not sure. Often when I check my account online, there will be a $1 within minutes of buying something, then a couple of days later, the actual charge replaces it. I think it has something to do with the fact that the retailer sends a hit to the bank just to make sure it's an open account.

But really, I have no idea. :shrug:

Giantrobo
04-23-07, 05:55 AM
I have a friend who just lost $7,000 from her account. Apparently the thief bought shit on ebay and used Pay Pal.

Cartload
04-23-07, 06:12 AM
I had my debit card number stolen sometime in late 2005. Almost $500 worth of charges were run up and fortunately I got it all back. The end result was that I got a debit card from my bank that didn't have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it. I still use it to get cash from ATMs or get cashback from grocery stores, but that's it.

kneijst1
04-23-07, 07:20 AM
I had mine stolen and used to purchase plane tickets. Supposedly the secret service was involved in tracking down who did it (as several other BoA members had their debit cards stolen too). I think mine was easy to track down, as it never leaves my wallet except for 2 ATMs in the area. I get did get fully re-funded and sent a new debit card.

MBoyd
04-23-07, 07:39 AM
This has happened twice to me. The card number was stolen online and used to buy computer E Books. The second time my bank called me while I was in IL and said someone charged $10 to Payless shoes in KS. I said I was out of town, how did they know that only that KS charge was false and not the charges in IL. They said it was a ring out of NY that would make small charges to certain places to see that the number would work and then later make their own card.

My bank is Bank One/Chase. Very helpful both times. Didn't owe anything.

lordwow
04-23-07, 08:19 AM
It's probably just EA pre-ordering Madden '08 for you, since the statistical probability is you'll buy it.

PixyJunket
04-23-07, 08:33 AM
Ugh, this stuff terrifies me. I've had to send my card number in an email a few times ordering PC games from Japan and it just scares the piss out of me every time. Thankfully I've never had any problems, but it is one of those things you hear about so often that it just messes with you.

Drexl
04-23-07, 09:35 AM
The $1.00 charge could have been for something like downloaded content or a ringtone (they call them EA Trax). Do charges on Xbox Live show up as Xbox Live or EA? EA also offers games for download, so the thief could have gotten a ringtone and then a game.

Gizmo
04-23-07, 10:36 AM
I don't play sports games and do not buy a SINGLE EA Game. I despise the company. So I know I'm not downloading anything through XBL (which has a different CC attached to it anyway)

movie diva
04-23-07, 10:40 AM
Call back and report is stolen!

McHawkson
04-23-07, 11:01 AM
I have very similar problem last year. Some company in Sweden charged me 36.95 repeatly and lost $900. I reported to my bank and they took care of it and I got the money back.

Just report to your bank and let them know that you did not authorize the purchases WaMu charged you.

Gizmo
04-23-07, 11:23 AM
I can't do anything until they are no longer 'pending'. They have to be 'charged' before I can dispute them. Great.

imperator505
04-23-07, 12:47 PM
Can you not change the number (PIN)? I can do this by going to an ATM and entering the correct PIN and then a PIN of my choice. This is allowed because you have to have both the card and the PIN to do it.

This is UK though - I don't know if you have the same system.

Oh - and report it stolen ASAP.

OldDude
04-23-07, 12:48 PM
I would demand to speak with a supervisor.

Once I had the supervisor I would have a discussion with the supervisor about the need to notify them "promptly" to avoid being hosed and that "too fucking promptly" is simply undefined. If they are not prepared to take action while the charges are "pending" then they are not overly concerned with security and are not the right bank for you. You may need to find a bank that gives a fuck.

You may also wish to point out that you do not have time to sit around waiting for the brief moment of opportunity between "too prompt" and "not prompt enough" when they will actually accept a complaint without leaving you hosed for the charges.

Above all, you should make sure they understand you are displeased by your experience with Customer Disservice.

Jeeden
04-23-07, 02:19 PM
Not to make you feel worse, but this is exactly why I never use my debit card, only credit cards. If I loose my CC or have it stolen, it's easier to cancel/replace, etc. Plus, "they" don't have my money.

I know people say they will put the money back in a few days, but I would rather have to avoid paying the cc bill then try to get my money back.

I have even heard of folks having checks bouce because someone cleaned out their checking account and they didn't know about it.

...plus you get points by washing everything through the CC :)

Hope it turns out ok, I'm sure you will have your money back in a few days.

Gizmo
04-23-07, 02:57 PM
I called back and was connected to, get this, an English speaking Women! YES!
Not only could I understand what she was saying, she even offered to cancel my debit card and have a re-issued one in the mail this week. Shocked am I.

Still no luck on the pending charged. They are at about $250, which mean seem like a small amount to some of you, but that is 20% of my rent money (not kidding). All 6 orders were places within minutes, and 5 of the 6 are for the same exact amount ($45.03). They can't do anything until they actual 'post' to the account, and at that point I can dispute them. Hopefully these are just floating charges and never actually go through...but if they do hopefully WaMu will have my back.

Now to find out what "Func Industrys" with a Phone Number of 1-916-930-0000 is...*cough*

Red Dog
04-23-07, 03:01 PM
The end result was that I got a debit card from my bank that didn't have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it. I still use it to get cash from ATMs or get cashback from grocery stores, but that's it.

Yep - I purposefully don't get those debit cards that double as credit cards. It is worthless w/o the PIN. I only use it at ATMs.

hiphopkid
04-23-07, 04:54 PM
Yep - I purposefully don't get those debit cards that double as credit cards. It is worthless w/o the PIN. I only use it at ATMs.

How is that? You can use it just like a credit card, no pin number.