Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Official Thread

I'm going later today to pick up both of these games. I have not played a Pokemon game since Silver/Gold so I'm excited to jump back into the series.

Who here already has the games? How are the games?
Old 04-22-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i picked them up a few minutes ago, but i'm not going to let my kid play them until she finishes pokemon emerald which i had gotten a couple of days ago.

one thing i didn't know (b/c i never had a pokemon game before) was that you can only have 1 save game in these. kind of sucks as i sort of wanted to see how i could do as well. well, emerald has 1 save slot - haven't confirmed if pearl/diamond is the same.
Old 04-22-07, 09:54 AM

my daughter wants these games, but I have a question, is there any difference between the two besides a few pokemon that they can catch? I read a review or two that said they are the same game, but didnt mention any differences? I am just assuming that these two are like the previous ones in that they have a few different pokemon that are catchable and tradeable. Assumptions correct? Don't want to buy her two of the same game as she won't play them both, but if there are actual differences in the game, she's getting both. Just wondering

Jack
Old 04-22-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as far as i know, that's exactly the difference - some different pokemon in each version. otherwise the same.

--
i found this site has a list of the different pokemon
http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/exclusives.shtml

Last edited by young; 04-22-07 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-22-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have the newer games but from reading the reviews and from previous games, they are the same games features wise with the exception that certain pokemons are only found in either the Diamond or Pearl games.
Old 04-22-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought Pearl this morning and have played it for about an hour and a half.

The graphics are pretty good, it's got that feel of when you first played either Red/Blue or Gold/Silver
Old 04-22-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I got drawn back into this series with the GBA versions and will get them today. My wife and I usually play opposite versions so we can trade the rare ones not in our own games. My son usually gets a copy as well, but he is shut out until his grades improve.
Old 04-22-07, 10:31 AM

sweet, thanks for the responses, i'll probably get both as well then so we can trade em with eachother.
Old 04-22-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I picked these up this morning for my son. I was jacked I couldn't get the 'free' stylus with the games, but they said it was for pre-orders only. I don't remember the stylus ad saying only available for pre-order.
Old 04-22-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just picked up the Pearl and Diamond edition of the games. I can't wait to play them!
Old 04-22-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about three hours in. This game is the exact same formula as all the rest including your rival and the whole reason you are traveling, but it is still just as much fun as always. The only thing I hate is it looks like you have to see or catch all 150 of the main pokemon before you can import Pokemon from the GBA versions. Which means never since I have never come close to completing the pokedex.

Last edited by darkside; 04-22-07 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-22-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My daughter is a few hours into it and loves it. It looks like they didn't change the formula much from the previous versions, but that's not a bad thing. Improved graphics and new pokemon are enough to make my daughter very happy.
Old 04-22-07, 08:47 PM

Just a heads up: Trading online means it's easier to get all three starters. A friend and I are doing it ourselves, but to the rest of you, it can be quite easy to set something up with another DVD Talker.
Old 04-22-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never played any of them, because I assumed they were more of "kiddie games." What's the gameplay like? Is it an RPG? I know the purpose is to catch pokemon... right?
Old 04-22-07, 10:00 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I asked my kids (age 12 and almost 14) whether they wanted to get the new Pokemon games (we've bought them in pairs for many years now). Only the younger one said she wanted the game. Well, I bought both anyway, and the oldest was the first to open up the game and start playing. Old habits die hard.
Old 04-23-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$27.99 at Circuit City seems to be the best price.

Plus, when I picked them up the cashier gave me a couple of the stylus' (I had picked up both Diamond and Pearl, I have two sons). I hadn't pre-ordered them, I guess either they had a bunch of extras or the clerk didn't realize that they were only for pre-orders.

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I've never played any of them, because I assumed they were more of "kiddie games." What's the gameplay like? Is it an RPG? I know the purpose is to catch pokemon... right?
It's a RPG / adventure / strategy game. I like it for the strategy aspect of it, coming up with great Pokemon teams.

Last edited by Heat; 04-23-07 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-23-07, 03:15 AM

Picked it up today, played for about 2 hours and I'm enjoying it. Haven't played since the R/B days, but I'm learning as I go. Luckily, not too much has changed. Also, started with Chimchar, and he's now Lv 15.
Old 04-23-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i wound up getting Diamond version, both stylus, and the holder for this. I also decided to pick up the brand new headset that was released on the same day.
Old 04-23-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Just a heads up: Trading online means it's easier to get all three starters. A friend and I are doing it ourselves, but to the rest of you, it can be quite easy to set something up with another DVD Talker.

I've never traded on a Pokemon game before. Can you elaborate on this for me and the other n00bs? Thanks!
Old 04-23-07, 07:31 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah. I will need the info as well, so posting it here will be helpful. This will be the first Pokemon game I've played. Well, once I pick it up in the next few days.
Old 04-23-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

in this one, you go to the healing center for pokemon and walk up the stairs. It will let you connect to anyone on your friend's list that is also in one of those centers and trying to connect.

when you connect you can chat, battle, or trade pokemon
Old 04-23-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey guys. I'm not trying to knock the games. But like everytime one comes out I give it a try and it just seems like a really simple rpg. I don't see the strategy and just cant get into it enough to get past the lower levels. Does the game change at all when you progress? Does it ever get past one Pokemon on screen at a time, or become more than just trading attacks?
Old 04-23-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Must.. resist. Spent.. too much time.. on GBA version.
Old 04-23-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Must.. resist. Spent.. too much time.. on GBA version.
You really shouldn't. The DS versions are great and incorporate lots of good stuff added over the years including the time elements from Gold and Silver.

I like that I can retrace my path at night and find a few different Pokemon that were missing in the day time.

I'm at the 5 hour mark and have my first badge. I really don't know how to explain these games to people that look down on the franchise. It is easy to get into so that kids can enjoy the games, but there is also a ton of depth here for organizing your team and picking the attacks and defensive moves for each Pokemon. You have hold items to deal with, deciding when to let them evolve, balancing how you level them up and on and on.

It is a really special franchise that sells millions of copies based on how excellent the formula and the games are and not just some marketing by Nintendo. This will be the best selling game this year and even Halo 3 won't touch its sales.
Old 04-23-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand you can trade pokemon. The question is how would you trade the starter pokemon? Wouldn't you lose them? You can't trade a pokemon and keep it can you?

Sorry, like I said, Noob question.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.