Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"The Devils" (1971) on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"The Devils" (1971) on DVD?

I know that there are a few region 0 DVDs of Ken Russell's The Devils floating about. Does anyone know if these are "official" or boots. Has anyone heard if it will ever be released "for real" on DVD. Preferably in its X-rated uncut 111 minute version and not the 103 minute US theatrical release.

I've only seen an old VHS US version but the movie is incredible. It definitely could have only been produced during the early 70's.
Old 04-22-07, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the hunt for that one as well. No luck yet.
Old 04-22-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

www.hkflix.com has what appears to be a Region 0 uncut version that I believe contains the uncut version plus other restored footage. It is listed as 108 minutes (but I think this is due to PAL speedup). Not a pristine transfer, but if memory serves me well, it is much better than the UK VHS of the uncut version.

Features:
Anamorphic Widescreen
Mono
"Hell On Earth" Documentary (50 mins.)
"Year Of Censorship" (5 mins.)
UK Censors (1 min.)
James Ferman (3 mins.)
Trailers (1 min.)
Old 04-22-07, 09:36 AM

as far as i know there is no official dvd release. you can get hold of bootlegs with the documentary. and theres some bootlegs that have the rape of christ scene edited in. uncut doesnt really mean anything. the film is uncut as submitted. the documentary with mark kemode was on the bbc about 5 years ago i think, it was on youtube a few months back but got taken down by wb.

look on imdb.com for some boot links.
Old 04-22-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know we are not suposed to link to bootleg movies so if this gets removed I guess it answers my question.

Is this copy a bootleg?

It says it is the 111 minute uncut "official" Angel Digital release. It also includes the "rape of Jesus" scene.
Old 04-23-07, 08:51 AM

It's the same as the disc being offered by HKFilx but more expensive! lol Like the poster above said though, there's no actual official release so they're all boots.
Old 04-23-07, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
when oh when?!?
Old 04-23-07, 12:40 PM

hasnt it been officially released in widescreen??? those boots are not wide enough. but at that price it seems a good deal. the documentary is great.
Old 04-23-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by kevkev
hasnt it been officially released in widescreen??? those boots are not wide enough. but at that price it seems a good deal. the documentary is great.
rub it in why don't you...

even Turner Classic Movie's store website had a special edition up for sale at one point.
Old 04-23-07, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I know that there are a few region 0 DVDs of Ken Russell's The Devils floating about. Does anyone know if these are "official" or boots. Has anyone heard if it will ever be released "for real" on DVD. Preferably in its X-rated uncut 111 minute version and not the 103 minute US theatrical release.

I've only seen an old VHS US version but the movie is incredible. It definitely could have only been produced during the early 70's.
you know there were two US theatrical cuts - the first one was a X-rated cut but not the (still abridged) 111min UK cut. For a theatrical re-issue the film was subjected to a second round of edits for the R-rated version of the film.

The AFI interestingly a number of years back advertised they were going to screen the 111min cut in Washington DC, at the last minute, said print was unobtainable, but they did screen the rarely screened original US X-rated cut of the film, it wasn't complete, but it was a treat nonetheless.

Last edited by Giles; 04-23-07 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 02:14 PM

I bought one of those copies a few years ago and made them take it back. The picture is anamorphic but 1.78:1. Wasn't this a scope film? PQ was not good. Prolly from vhs. It did have a nice docu on it which I believe was from UK TV airing.
Old 04-23-07, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mrwilson
I bought one of those copies a few years ago and made them take it back. The picture is anamorphic but 1.78:1. Wasn't this a scope film? PQ was not good. Prolly from vhs. It did have a nice docu on it which I believe was from UK TV airing.
the film's OAR is 2.35:1. IMDB notes that the film was then cropped to 2.20:1 for the 70mm engagements of the film.

yes the documentary 'Hell on Earth' was broadcast on the UK's Channel 4