Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : De La Hoya vs Mayweather who's gonna win?

tacos
04-20-07, 08:58 PM
Damn I'm ready for this one. I hope like hell Oscar can find a way. However, I just don't know. What do you cats think?

Thrush
04-21-07, 02:44 AM
Mayweather by Unanimous decision. I don't see him being able to stop DLH. But it will be a 12 round boxing clinic put on by Floyd.

acubfaninmd
04-21-07, 08:07 AM
is the fight tonight? Do you know if HBO will replay it next week I dont feel like paying for the paying for it but I want to see it. You can call me cheap if you want to .

astrochimp
04-21-07, 09:37 AM
i
You can call me cheap if you want to .

Your cheap! :D

But so am i ;) and the fight isnt till May 5th.

Cheering for Oscar but i think Mayweather will win.

acubfaninmd
04-21-07, 09:50 AM
Your cheap! :D

But so am i ;) and the fight isnt till May 5th.

Cheering for Oscar but i think Mayweather will win.

Thanks for info on date of fight. You can tell Im not that big into boxing but know a good fight when it happens. Any knowledge on wheter HBO will reair sometime after the fight.

Mondo Kane
04-21-07, 05:19 PM
I want Oscar to win, but it looks like it's gonna be a landslide victory for Floyd. Yet, Something tells me if Mayweather's gonna stink it out the way Oscar did against Trinidad, he'll get dissed by the judges. :lol: He really has to make an impression rather just hitting and running.

I'm watching this on closed-circuit by the way.

Byron_T
04-21-07, 07:59 PM
I think Mayweather wins rather easily. Don't know if he'll stop De La Hoya but he'll win a decision if not.

starseed1981
04-22-07, 12:40 AM
Mayweather will knock him out, plain and simple. But hey, if you wanna pay 25 million dollars to knock me out I'll take it.

Quake1028
04-22-07, 10:52 AM
I seriously doubt Floyd is going to knock Oscar out. Oscar has been in with one of the biggest punchers in his division (Trinidad), and wasn't put on the canvas. Bernard Hopkins was a true middleweight, and Oscar went 9 rounds with him before getting TKO'd by a body shot. Floyd isn't a big puncher at all, and Oscar has a good chin. I don't know who will win the fight, but I don't believe Floyd has a chance to KO Oscar either.

Bill Geiger
04-23-07, 01:10 PM
I voted for Oscar cause Mayweather is a cocky ass.

Slumbering Fist
04-23-07, 05:09 PM
20+ yrs of watching boxing and I've learned to always bet on speed over power.

De La Hoya has the size and has the power, sure, but ko'ing a guy who is younger, faster, and slicker is a tall task for anyone. I would prefer De La Hoya winning, just as a nice cap on his career, but I fully expect PBF to go the distance and outpoint him.

I wouldnt be surprised if its a fight like Hagler-Leonard with De La Hoya stalking and landing occassional, showy power shots and PBF dipping, dodging, potshotting, and flurrying. Fans of each fighter will debate to no end which sould count more.

But man, oh man, would I love De La Hoya landing one, perfect, solid blackout inducing left hook :)

Lara Means
04-25-07, 08:00 PM
so you have to pay an extra $10 bucks just to watch this in HD?

Original Desmond
04-25-07, 11:33 PM
My heart says De La Hoya but my head says Floyd will get a decision win by getting on his bicycle.

I sincerly hope not, but i fear if PBF feels he cannot beat Oscar any other way, he will run and defend with the occasionally counter, be damm hard to hit but only hit Oscar enough to win rounds.

Boxing needs a real showcase on May5. The UFC has been kicking Boxing's butt in PPV buys. This fight needs to be exciting , non controversial and last at least 8 rounds.

SexualPudding
04-26-07, 02:51 AM
I am really surprised 11 people have picked Oscar. They must be more "casual type" fans. Personally, I think Floyd is going to dismantle him. He won't knock Oscar out, but I see him coasting to an easy unanimous decision. I think he is just way too fast and slick for De La Hoya at this stage of his career.

tacos
05-02-07, 04:06 PM
I figured there would be more hype in the thread!

Daryl
05-02-07, 04:09 PM
I am really surprised 11 people have picked Oscar. They must be more "casual type" fans. Personally, I think Floyd is going to dismantle him. He won't knock Oscar out, but I see him coasting to an easy unanimous decision. I think he is just way too fast and slick for De La Hoya at this stage of his career.
agreed. I expect a 12 round clinic put on by Floyd, despite my desire to see him knock Oscar into the 10th row in the first round.

mrpayroll
05-03-07, 04:03 PM
I am really surprised 11 people have picked Oscar. They must be more "casual type" fans.

Thank you for your condescending attitude! :clap:

Chris

mrpayroll
05-03-07, 04:05 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mayweather3may03,1,7041428,print.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Mayweathers continue the family feud

Floyd Sr. is out of his son's corner -- again -- but Floyd Jr. says it won't be an issue when he fights Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday.

By Lance Pugmire
Times Staff Writer

May 3, 2007

LAS VEGAS "It's all smiles," Floyd Mayweather Jr. told a cluster of reporters listening in on his final news conference telephone call last week.

Mayweather Jr. was talking about the scene inside his Las Vegas gym, a den that was home not only to his combustible personality but that of the boxer's long-estranged father and his uncle-trainer Roger Mayweather, who professed last month he didn't care if his brother Floyd Mayweather Sr. "was there or home in a rocking chair. I know enough about boxing. I don't need to ask his opinion. Floyd's on pay-per-view because of me, not his daddy."

All smiles? Perhaps from the listeners who weren't buying Floyd Jr.'s story.

As he prepares for a Saturday fight against Oscar De La Hoya that he is telling everyone will leave him unbeaten, retired and established as the greatest fighter ever, Mayweather Jr. (37-0, 24 knockouts) weathers the distractions of an ongoing family drama.

Mayweather Sr. left camp last week, distraught with his son's "disrespect," and said he would attend the fight with tickets given him by the boxer he formerly trained, De La Hoya.

Roger Mayweather issued a good riddance by balking even at the olive branch his mother, Bernice, was extending: That she will order the brothers to attend her 74th birthday party on June 10, and "try to get them together."

"I love my mother," Roger said, "but she can't make me talk to my brother."

Meanwhile, Mayweather Jr. maintains, "We're used to this. One day, we all might get along. The next, maybe we're not speaking."

One thing the Mayweathers agree upon is that Floyd Sr., a former welterweight fighter who went 10 rounds with Sugar Ray Leonard, deserves credit for passing on the sport to his son.

Pointing Tuesday to a small great-grandchild pawing at a punching bag, Bernice Mayweather said, "My son had Floyd Jr. doing that as a 1-year-old, and he was telling him he'd be champion of the world at age 2. Floyd Jr.'s daddy gave him his drive. He would tell his boy, 'If you can make it as a boxer, you can make it as anything in this world.' It's a tough sport."

A tough life began quickly. Floyd Jr. was caught in the crossfire of a domestic dispute as a toddler, when a man identified as the brother of Floyd Sr.'s girlfriend shot him once in the leg before the 1978 fight against Leonard.

"I was holding Little Floyd, I was holding my son, and the guy was telling me he was going to shoot me with a shotgun," Floyd Sr. said. Floyd Jr. recently told the New York Daily News that his mother told him his father used him as a shield to keep from getting shot. Floyd Sr. said any reports that he was using his son as a shield were false.

Floyd Jr. said, "He got shot in front of me as a kid. In my neighborhood, to see a guy with a gun was no big deal."

The boxing training around their Grand Rapids, Mich., home was intense. One of Floyd Sr.'s lessons, Bernice said, was to direct Floyd Jr. to take an ax to a tree and chop the entire thing into firewood.

Floyd Sr., however, wasn't as disciplined. He was imprisoned in 1993 on an interstate cocaine trafficking conviction, then was absent in Floyd Jr.'s late teens. At a news conference Wednesday, Floyd Jr. said his biological mother also fought drug abuse as he was growing up.

"When his daddy went away, I stepped in," Bernice Mayweather said. "One time, little Floyd was hanging out at night. I told him, 'If you don't want to box, I'll tell your dad.' He didn't want that. He decided to box, and he was so good, he made it to the Olympics."

The younger Mayweather won a bronze medal at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and started his professional career.

"He just stays focused on what he's doing and does a lot of praying," said Mayweather Jr.'s mother, Deborah Sinclair, who lives in Las Vegas and remains "friends" with Floyd Sr., whom she never married. Floyd Jr. has "been raised to stay focused, and when he did it in the Olympics, he knew he could."

Floyd Jr. and his grandmother also kept a secret from Floyd Sr. He no longer had to chop down trees.

"There wasn't nobody for me then," Floyd Jr. said. "I survived."

On the HBO series, "De La Hoya-Mayweather 24/7," Floyd Jr. discussed his upbringing and said he was deprived of parental love: "My dad was real hard on me. I couldn't make mistakes. If I make a mistake, my dad would cuss me out, slap me, check me put me in my place." Floyd Jr. said there were subjects he wanted to address with his father, but was afraid to raise.

Floyd Sr. said seeing that segment last week influenced his decision to walk out of his son's camp only a few months after they reunited following a seven-year estrangement.

"What did little Floyd want to tell me?" Floyd Sr. asked. "He didn't want for [anything]. How can little Floyd box like he does if I didn't spend a lot of time with him? That boy was very well taken care of, and he wouldn't be where he is today if it wasn't for his daddy. He'd be in a graveyard somewhere, or out selling drugs. Instead, he's got millions of dollars now."

With Floyd Sr. "treating me like I was a child," Floyd Jr. opted in 2000 to replace his father with his uncle as trainer.

That title was sweet for Roger Mayweather, a former two-time world champion boxer who claims his divisive relationship with Floyd Sr. has lasted for several years.

"We've never been good brothers," Roger said. "He always had to be saying he was better than me that he's older than me, asking me who's the best fighter? Who's the best trainer? Telling me, 'You can't do this, you can't do that.' The bottom line is that I've been on my own for 27 years, and I don't base any of my opinions on what my brother thinks. I don't worry about him."

Yet, if ever there seemed an ideal time for a full-fledged, father-son reunion, this fight was it. Floyd Sr. had trained De La Hoya since 2001, but was ousted in favor of Freddie Roach because of his relation to the opponent and his insistence that he be paid $2 million. Roach was retained for $1.3 million.

And Roger Mayweather was in trouble. In 2006, he had his training license suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after jumping into the ring to confront Zab Judah for striking Floyd Jr. with a low blow and sucker punch behind the head.

Later last year, Roger was jailed for committing battery against the maternal grandmother of his small son.

Roger's training license was reinstated this year the commission threatened him with the "death penalty" if he ever repeats the act but Floyd Sr. entered the gym and provided occasional pointers to his son about how to defeat his former fighter.

"All Roger does is hold the pad and slap him on the top of the head," Floyd Sr. said. "All Roger says is, 'Keep doing what you're doing.' And he got that quote from me."

De La Hoya's decision to part with Floyd Sr. had the unintentional benefit of throwing an emotional monkey wrench into his opponent's camp.

"I believe Floyd Sr. [was] in charge, and he should be, absolutely," De La Hoya said. "When you have Floyd Sr., Roger and Floyd Jr. in one room, the egos are too big. You have Roger and Floyd Sr. saying they're the best trainer in the world."

The brothers' mother says, "Maybe there's some jealousy there, but I think they'll come back together. This won't distract Floyd Jr. He's dedicated his life to boxing."

Days before Floyd Sr. split, Mayweather Jr.'s manager Leonard Ellerbe said, "We have a great working relationship on our team. We've had nothing but peace and harmony during our preparation."

That harmony ended, Floyd Sr. said, when his son "disrespected" him on national television.

"What else can you do to your daddy, except kill him?" Floyd Sr. said. "It's very painful. If he don't have respect for his mother and father, if he don't know right from wrong, then pity on him.

"Little Floyd has got to fight the right fight. Right now, he's fighting with his own mind."

Bruce Trampler, a longtime matchmaker for Top Rank, Mayweather Jr.'s former promoter, disagreed.

"As far as boxing goes, I think this thing is much ado about nothing," Trampler said. "Floyd Jr. just goes about his business. I know right now Roger's got his tail up in the air, feeling his credentials as a trainer are being questioned, and I know how this hurts Floyd Sr.

"Floyd Jr. just wants to get from point A to point B with no interruptions. And point B is being called the best fighter in the world. Nothing deters him. It takes a special mind-set to be a great athlete, to filter all of the out-of-ring distractions. He's done it very well."

Floyd Jr. says his family strife is "not a distraction. We've got a wild, crazy exciting family. My dad'll be back here tomorrow."

Turning to a nearby member of his entourage, Mayweather Jr. ordered, "Give my dad a call."

No phone number was immediately dialed, however, and Mayweather Jr. jumped back into the ring to start a rigorous training session during a time he and his family know well:

Fight week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lance.pugmire@latimes.com

Chris

mrpayroll
05-03-07, 04:10 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers3may03,0,310563,print.column?coll=la-home-sports

Oscar and Floyd don't see eye to eye

Three-inch heels give Mayweather a lift at pre-fight faceoff; Oscar's already figured out how and when he's going to win.

T.J. Simers

May 3, 2007

LAS VEGAS LAS VEGAS The big pre-fight news conference is over and Oscar and the little shrimp come together at center stage for a faceoff, and right away Mayweather is in Oscar's face and yelling at him.

"You're not that big," he shouts. "You're not that big."

Oscar realizes there's something not right, or Mayweather has had a growing spurt. Shane Mosley is standing right there and looking at the little shrimp's feet and tells him, "You're wearing boots," while pointing to the three-inch heels.

Mayweather doesn't know what to say, Oscar laughs and that gets Mayweather going. He goes to the crude language, later telling reporters exactly what he said as if he really is a big man.

It's only Wednesday, but Mayweather has everything in perspective. "I'm willing to go out and die" to win this fight, he says, and maybe he's right when he says this will be his last fight.

A few minutes later he's ranting about not caring what people say, although he cares enough to say so. He also sounds a little discombobulated. "If it's broke," he says, "why fix it?"

He invites the media to watch him train. He says then he'll place his bets, reportedly as much as $25,000 a day on NBA games, and finish the night off watching "Pirates of the Caribbean." He obviously likes to watch little guys at work.

He talks about the altitude in Las Vegas, looking to his manager Leonard Ellerbe to confirm he's got it right. Leonard doesn't look like he's big on geography either, but Mayweather plows on, talking about Oscar's work at sea level in Puerto Rico.

"He's not adjusted to the altitude," the little shrimp says, and if he's as good as he says he is, it's odd he's counting on a 2,000-foot difference in altitude to carry the night.

"I'm in the hurt business," Mayweather says, and business is good. He tells everyone what his ring is worth, his diamond necklace and watch. It adds up to $1 million.

I mention this to Oscar, because all he's wearing is a wedding ring. "It's priceless," he says.

Oscar is loose. He talks about the little shrimp's arrival, Mayweather driving himself to the MGM Grand in a $500,000 Maybach with "Mayweather" spelled out in silver letters across the rear of the car.

"You don't drive a car like that, you get driven in it," Oscar says. "That's a really big car. He must've looked real tiny in it."

He seems to be having a good time after appearing uptight when he first arrived in L.A. after four months of training. Hard to stay uptight, though, when chasing a 16-month-old son and contending with a wise-cracking wife.

His wife puts their son in a boxing ring in the MGM lobby. On the way down the stairs, the youngster spots a poster of his dad and Mayweather. He goes over to Mayweather's picture and starts throwing punches at it.

"I wonder who taught him who his dad's opponent is?" says Oscar's wife with just the right amount of sarcasm.

It's been an hour now since the faceoff and Oscar is back in the house he's renting some 15 minutes from the MGM. There are children's toys everywhere. Nice to see Oscar is keeping himself busy.

He's now eating a huge portion of sea bass, smothered in caramelized onions, mushrooms, carrots and jalapenos, cooked in avocado oil, and he wants me to join him. I don't realize it at the time, but it's a trap, Oscar luring me in just as plans call for him doing the same thing with Mayweather.

Oscar is telling me about the time Salma Hayek invited him to her house for a party, the two of them in the kitchen, "just talking," he says, but letting me know what good friends they are.

"Then she mentions TJ to me," Oscar says, "and I thought she might," I say, before he drops the hammer.

"Yeah, she said she was going to go to Tijuana," he says. "You know, you just got to be crushed that she's pregnant now."

The little shrimp has no idea how mean the old boxer can be.

"I'm wearing red trunks and red boots," Oscar says, "to attract the bull. I want him to charge me. I hope he doesn't run. I'm going to be talking in the ring, pushing his buttons."

He'll have ''Golden Boy" spelled across the front of his trunks and "Atiana/Jacob" on the back in honor of his two children from previous relationships. It was his wife's idea, since their son's name adorned his trunks in last year's fight.

"Oscar really likes those red boots," his wife says. "He's got me a little worried."

Michael Jackson calls. I figure he's heard about Oscar's brand new red boots and wants a closer look, but instead of asking for tickets, he wants Oscar to visualize a victory over Mayweather.

The camp has already declined someone's offer to hypnotize Oscar, but Oscar listens intently as Tom Lasorda tells him to back Mayweather into a corner. I'm a little worried no one thought of this in the four months Oscar's been working.

His trainer, Freddie Roach, is reading a book about Pete Maravich, so you know Oscar is going to take every shot he gets.

Oscar tells me how the fight is going to unfold, round by round, and we'll see later if he's on target. He doesn't see it going the distance, I'll tell you that. He broke down his fight with Mayorga before they met, and it went exactly as he said, including the fight coming to a close in the sixth round.

This much is for certain. The night will begin with Marc Anthony singing the national anthem. J-Lo and I'll be watching nearby. 50 Cent, who had a falling out with the Mayweather camp, is back and will lead the little shrimp into the ring with a song. Oscar will arrive to a mariachi tune sung by his sister, Ceci.

More and more calls are coming in. All for tickets. Jack Nicholson is buying tickets. Everyone pays. Oscar personally invites Michael J. Fox, who will finally tower over someone if only he gets the chance to stand beside Mayweather.

Eva Longoria will also be here, which means there's a better chance of her picture appearing in the newspaper Sunday morning than either Oscar or Mayweather because Times photographer Wally Skalij is shooting the event.

--

T.J. Simers can be reached at t.j.simers@latimes.com.

I want Oscar to totally embarrass Floyd on Saturday night. I've never like Floyd as a person or as a boxer.

His 'slave wages' mentality a couple of years ago was just the beginning of my dislike for him. Hey Floyd, you gotta 'earn' your wages with exciting fights, where you take a chance and give the crowd and television viewing audience what they want.

And that is why Oscar is 'The Golden Boy'. He always fought smart, but was not afraid to fight the best (and he did) and never gave up.

Yeah, I hope Floyd is so embarrassed that he runs out of the ring after the fight is over, crying for daddy, who won't be there for him.

Chris

thecrazydude
05-03-07, 05:45 PM
Mayweather is gonna school De La Hoya. Oscar can not handle faster fighters. He very tough, but Mayweather's speed and skill is going to be too much for De La Hoya. Mayweather might even try to go for the knockout.

My Prediction: Mayweather wins by TKO in the 9th.

Charlie Goose
05-03-07, 08:53 PM
I say De La Hoya knocks Mayweather out in the first minute of Round 1.

Not really, but that would be pretty cool.

dx23
05-04-07, 11:19 AM
I'm supporting Oscar, specially after Floyd's comments on UFC, totally dissing them. I would love that after Floyd is totally beaten this , any UCF talent comes in the ring and challenge him to an octagon fight.

tacos
05-04-07, 11:25 AM
I say De La Hoya knocks Mayweather out in the first minute of Round 1.

Not really, but that would be pretty cool.

That would be very cool!

IIG
05-04-07, 04:33 PM
Everybody seems to hate Floyd... even the people that believe he will win. I always hear, "I think Floyd is going to win, but I hope Oscar takes it". Why? I love Floyd's attitude. He's cocky, confident, and above all else he is a real human being. I respect that he talks about Floyd Mayweather as a brand. I like that he doesnt crumble when his very serious and personal in-family disputes are broadcast for the whole world to see. I love that he goes out and gambles in front of the cameras shamelessly. I've always been a big fan of real people, and though I'm a semi-fan of The Golden Boy, Oscar's fantasy world has never been more apparent than it has been shown to be in 24-7.

Anyway, Floyd is maybe the most skilled boxer that's been around since I've been alive (1982). Maybe Roy Jones, but we all know what happened to him. Oscar is one of the toughest boxers I've had the pleasure of watching, and most times, whether he is outclassed, outskilled, too slow, or underpowered for the occasion, he usually finds a way to get things done. Not this time though.

I give De La Hoya a chance only because he is the bigger, stronger, tougher fighter. But it's hard for me to see this going any different than the Mayweather-Diego Corrales fight. If you can't hit your opponent, you could have chrome hands and it wouldn't make a difference. And unlike other fast fighters that duck and run their way to victory (Winky Wright), Floyd has an offense that must be watched. I know De La Hoya's chin is solid and he has rarely been on the canvas, but he has never faced an angry, emotional Floyd Mayweather Jr. either. I think Floyd will try to murder De La Hoya to show his father that his star pupil could never compete with his son. Floyd could knock Oscar out in the 11th or 12th, but I'm going with an EASY unanimous decision.

mrpayroll
05-04-07, 06:33 PM
I think Floyd will try to murder De La Hoya to show his father that his star pupil could never compete with his son. Floyd could knock Oscar out in the 11th or 12th, but I'm going with an EASY unanimous decision.

Then I would say to Floyd 'Bring it on'.

Seriously, I would respect (not like) Floyd if he were to actually fight Oscar like his life depended on it. This 'sweet' art of boxing is overrated. Most people want to see two men going toe to toe and may the best 'man' win.

Chris

Quake1028
05-04-07, 09:09 PM
Floyd's hands are too fragile to KO anyone in the 11th or 12th round.

LorenzoL
05-05-07, 07:27 AM
I can't wait for this fight to start! I'm going over to my friend's place to watch it on satellite.

I'm rooting for the Golden Boy.

tacos
05-05-07, 11:30 AM
I can't wait for this fight to start! I'm going over to my friend's place to watch it on satellite.

I'm rooting for the Golden Boy.

With Cold Beer in hand I hope!

LorenzoL
05-05-07, 01:02 PM
With Cold Beer in hand I hope!
Yup. We're having a pre-bash barbecue beforehand so it will be a great night.

Josh H
05-05-07, 01:12 PM
Cold beer, bbq and pinatas for me as I'm watching it at a Cinco de Mayo party. :D

Lt Ripley
05-05-07, 02:15 PM
Anyone know what time the DLH Mayweather fight is supposed to start? Not the undercard fights, but the actual DLH fight. I have to make an appearance at a party (be rude if I didn't) that starts around 7pm. I plan on leaving the party to watch the fight, then go back to the party.

Mad Dawg
05-05-07, 02:35 PM
Anyone know what time the DLH Mayweather fight is supposed to start? Not the undercard fights, but the actual DLH fight. I have to make an appearance at a party (be rude if I didn't) that starts around 7pm. I plan on leaving the party to watch the fight, then go back to the party.

The broadcast starts at 9 ET, so factoring the two undercard fights (if competitive), maybe 10:30?

I cannot believe I'm missing this. Heading to the west coast, and I don't have a prayer of making it in and finding a sports bar showing it all before the fight is over. :(

SpaceBoy
05-05-07, 05:22 PM
I gave up on boxing years ago but this bout has me thinking about plopping down some money to drink some beers, order some pizza and watch the fight with my wife. She doesn't mind watching boxing, just has a problem with ufc.

It seems like it's 55 for the HD broadcast on comcast, is that pretty norm for fights? I haven't bought a non UFC once since Tyson's days.

Dalvin
05-05-07, 05:32 PM
Cold beer, bbq and pinatas for me as I'm watching it at a Cinco de Mayo party. :D

I hope you have fun. Please understand that Cinco De Mayo is not even a celebrated holiday in Mexico. The significance of it, is when Mexican forces held off US forces on a small pueblo village in Mexico. There is no real significance of this event, therefore no real reson to celebrate(i.e. Independance Day). Cinco DeMayo is just a poor excuse to get drunk.

IN any event...have fun

The Cow
05-05-07, 05:48 PM
I hope you have fun. Please understand that Cinco De Mayo is not even a celebrated holiday in Mexico. The significance of it, is when Mexican forces held off US forces on a small pueblo village in Mexico. There is no real significance of this event, therefore no real reson to celebrate(i.e. Independance Day). Cinco DeMayo is just a poor excuse to get drunk.

Somebody is already drunk :lol:

Josh H
05-05-07, 06:07 PM

IN any event...have fun

I don't give a shit about celebrating anything. It's an excuse to get together, eat shitty food, whack some pinata's and yes get drunk.

Though obviously you don't need an excuse to get drunk, as you're a raging alcoholic judging by the nature of your posts here. ;)

Pharoh
05-05-07, 06:08 PM
Somebody is already drunk :lol:

I don't think being drunk is the issue.

astrochimp
05-05-07, 08:05 PM
I caved in and ordered the fight.Hope its a good one ;)

astrochimp
05-05-07, 11:33 PM
And just when i thought i couldnt like Mayweather any less he has 50 Cent leading him out to the ring doing a live rap :p

darkside
05-05-07, 11:40 PM
And just when i thought i couldnt like Mayweather any less he has 50 Cent leading him out to the ring doing a live rap :p
It is Floyd's character. He is the heel and his attitude is what is drawing in so many to watch this fight. I give him credit for building a lot of heat for this fight.

Jackskeleton
05-06-07, 12:19 AM

IN any event...have fun

And here I thought it was just Cicano studies in whatever local los angeles community colleges that beat that stupid "it's not even a holiday in mexico" bullshit.

Yeah, we get it. It's not celebrated there doesn't mean that you can't use it as an excuse to get some cold ones and gather a bunch of people to party. Guess what, America loves to commercialize any and all holidays. Get over it.

Jeremy517
05-06-07, 12:30 AM
Judge 1 115-113 DLH
Judge 2 116-112 PBF
Judge 3 115-113 PBF

Michael T Hudson
05-06-07, 12:36 AM
So I guess 50 cent one some money. :lol: What were the odds on the fight? I heard he bet a million on it.

astrochimp
05-06-07, 12:40 AM
A bit surprised it was a split decision.Will we see a rematch?

B.A.
05-06-07, 01:18 AM
Mayweather's Mexican regalia was awesome - as was the the phrase on Team Mayweather's shirts.

As for the fight - pretty boring and it would have been even more boring had Oscar not been the aggressor.

SexualPudding
05-06-07, 01:23 AM
Thank you for your condescending attitude! :clap:

Chris

You're welcome. Condescending or not, it was likely a fair assessment. Had you asked anyone who knows fuck all about boxing that wasn't connected to Oscar in some way (like Hopkins or Shane Mosley) before the fight who would win, I guarantee you just about every one of them would have picked Mayweather going away. He was a 2-1 favorite in the fight. Oscar is the only boxer that people not into the sport know about, thus making it more likely for people to pick him in a poll such as this one.

Clap 'til your hands fall off.

The Cow
05-06-07, 01:28 AM
Mayweather's Mexican regalia was awesome - as was the the phrase on Team Mayweather's shirts.

What was the phrase?

Ph8te
05-06-07, 01:33 AM
As for the fight I thought it was a good one, better then some of the other PPV fights I have seen.......THe fight could bee seen both ways 1 in favor of the boxer that landed more (Floyd) OR for the boxer that was more active (Oscar) I am a Mayweather fan I thought the fight was close, but overall Mayweather won....If Oscar had used his jab more he would have won (and i would have said so too).....I jsut feel that Mayweather really controlled the fight in the center of the ring period...Oscar had flurries that didnt find thier mark, but it was good activity which is what some people like.......

In the end though I can see a lot of people saying this fight sucked as it was a boxing style that won the fight not a brawl...If you always want a brawl then go to UFC, Boxing can have a mixture of styles and some of them are "slow" its jsut the way it is...Mayweather doesnt have knockout power at this weight but he can hold his own he fought the correct fight against Oscar and won because of it (If Oscar had fought the correct fight with his Jab he would have one)....

Dalvin
05-06-07, 01:39 AM
And here I thought it was just Cicano studies in whatever local los angeles community colleges that beat that stupid "it's not even a holiday in mexico" bullshit.

Yeah, we get it. It's not celebrated there doesn't mean that you can't use it as an excuse to get some cold ones and gather a bunch of people to party. Guess what, America loves to commercialize any and all holidays. Get over it.

My archnemesis has finally returned

das Monkey
05-06-07, 01:46 AM
115-113 De La Hoya? rotfl

Despite the HBO crew's incessant dead horse beating (these guys get worse every year), De La Hoya wasn't <i>that</i> much more active than Mayweather, certainly not enough to counteract Mayweather's significantly greater effectiveness. Oscar was the aggressor to be sure, but Floyd followed all that meaningless arm flailing with a pretty convincing beatdown. Even if you want to hedge the rounds, there were at least 5 (particularly 9, 10, and 11) that weren't even close.

Great effort from De La Hoya, though. He gave everything he had to this. :up:

Side note: Larry Merchant interviewing Floyd Mayweather, Sr. has to be one of the funniest things on television in years. In two interviews, I don't think either said a single thing that was coherent, and I question whether it was even English.

Good fight and good first undercard.

das

SexualPudding
05-06-07, 01:52 AM
LOL, I love how agitated Merchant gets in those post fight interviews.

Daryl
05-06-07, 02:00 AM
115-113 De La Hoya? rotfl
unreal. Even if you squinted real hard and gave the "maybe" rounds to Oscar, Floyd still should've been ahead 115-113. I would say "he should be ashamed of himself", but we're talking about boxing here - shame left town a long time ago.

Side note: Larry Merchant interviewing Floyd Mayweather, Sr. has to be one of the funniest things on television in years.

the first one (during the undercard fight) was absolutely epic. I rewound it and listened again 3-4 times. I told my brother "each word is in English, and yet, when he strings them together, I have no idea what he's talking about". The post-fight one, where Sr. wouldn't say who won, Merchant finally said f-ck it and gave up.

SexualPudding
05-06-07, 02:04 AM
I also loved how slow Mayweather Sr. was inbetween words, since it often takes Merchant 10 minutes to make a (what he thinks is) valid point.

das Monkey
05-06-07, 02:04 AM
What would be great theater is a 12-round interview between Larry Merchant and Floyd Mayweather, Sr. Every 3 minutes, that absurdly enthusiastic gas bag Harold Lederman could provide analysis. "Merchant was clearly the aggressor in that round, but Mayweather was too quick, and none of his questions had any effect!" And just like most fights, we could have interpreters in each corner trying to decipher what the two of them are actually saying. Perhaps John Madden and Charles Barkley in the undercard.

das

redrum
05-06-07, 02:10 AM
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/predator/images/predator_large_17.jpg

SexualPudding
05-06-07, 03:04 AM
LOL, the predator pic is priceless (and accurate).

LorenzoL
05-06-07, 07:35 AM
Unfortunately, the fight did not lived up to expectations and was pretty boring. I can't believe that one judge score for De La Hoya and this is coming from somebody that was rooting for him.
Anyways, it was a fun night with great food and drinks so it wasn't a total loss.

tacos
05-06-07, 09:19 AM
Damn I don't even remember the fight!

B.A.
05-06-07, 10:01 AM
What was the phrase?Mexico Loves Mayweather.

Quake1028
05-06-07, 02:23 PM
I had it 7 rounds to 5 for Floyd.

Quake1028
05-06-07, 02:25 PM
It's worth noting that this was the first split decision of Floyd's career, and was one round away from being a majority draw. I just wish this fight had taken place 3-4 years ago.

JumpCutz
05-06-07, 02:41 PM
Mayweather is planning on retiring. That's just shocking. :lol:

Quake1028
05-06-07, 02:43 PM
He said that before the fight. Personally I think there is about a 10% chance of that being true.

Mad Dawg
05-06-07, 02:55 PM
He said that before the fight. Personally I think there is about a 10% chance of that being true.

He's already hedged on it. He said post-fight that he still "plans" on retiring, but if people want a rematch, he's leaving the door open.

Quake1028
05-06-07, 03:00 PM
The only way I would want to see a rematch is if Oscar goes back to Floyd Sr., and is serious about throwing the jab and working for all 12 rounds.

NatrlBornThrllr
05-06-07, 03:21 PM
Damn I don't even remember the fight!

rotfl

I'm having the same problem this afternoon.

NatrlBornThrllr
05-06-07, 03:22 PM
So I guess 50 cent one some money. :lol: What were the odds on the fight? I heard he bet a million on it.

Two to won?

IIG
05-06-07, 03:38 PM
I think the whole world has come to a unanimous decision that the judge that gave the fight to Oscar is an idiot.

Quake1028
05-06-07, 04:16 PM
I think the whole world has come to a unanimous decision that the judge that gave the fight to Oscar is an idiot.

Not really. I had the fight 7-5, as did a lot of people. It depends on what you preferred in some of those rounds. There were rounds where Floyd was getting credit for landed shots, and it looked like Oscar was picking off almost every one of them. For about 3 rounds Floyd didn't land a single meaningful punch. I had it for Floyd, but going 7-5 for Oscar isn't close to nearly the worst judging I've ever seen.

Mad Dawg
05-06-07, 04:23 PM
The only way I would want to see a rematch is if Oscar goes back to Floyd Sr., and is serious about throwing the jab and working for all 12 rounds.

I didn't see it ( :( ), but I heard that was the case and I'm really annoyed. If you're Oscar and are going to put the left jab in your pocket for much of the fight, even if you give a great effort overall, you might as well not show up at all.

I have to wonder if it's a stubborness on his part, or if Freddie Roach is getting Buddy McGirt syndrome. Sure, Manny's a winner, but he's still got most of the same weaknesses he's had for years under Roach. Other than him, has a Roach fighter won a significant bout in the last couple of years?

Quake1028
05-06-07, 04:31 PM
Roach (and Bernard from ringside) were on Oscar every round to use his jab. He took control of the fight for 3 rounds because he was dominating with his jab, and then pounding Floyd in the corner. Then from the 9th or so on he completely abandoned it.

Mad Dawg
05-06-07, 04:38 PM
Roach (and Bernard from ringside) were on Oscar every round to use his jab. He took control of the fight for 3 rounds because he was dominating with his jab, and then pounding Floyd in the corner. Then from the 9th or so on he completely abandoned it.

Okay, good for Freddie. That sounds like, if you were rooting for him, it would have been a very frustrating fight to watch. I haven't heard him address the issue in post-fight interviews, but I'd live to hear some reason from him.

SPiRAL
05-06-07, 04:39 PM

I even saw Marc Anthony yelling for Oscar to jab.

Quake1028
05-06-07, 04:39 PM
It was extremely frustrating. He could have won the fight if he woud have kept throwing his jab and working off of it. Floyd really had no answer for it.

Quake1028
05-06-07, 04:44 PM
"It wasn't the big night of my jab," he said. "I could tell when I threw it, it would snap his head back and it was working, but I just couldn't throw it. So it wasn't the best night for my jab."

Also, Jerry Roth gave the 12th to Floyd, a round I gave to Oscar, as did a lot of others. That was the difference in the outcome.

Mad Dawg
05-06-07, 05:10 PM
It was extremely frustrating. He could have won the fight if he woud have kept throwing his jab and working off of it. Floyd really had no answer for it.

I heard someone point out that even when Oscar was on the offensive, Floyd was avoiding/blocking most of his shots. That strikes me as a ridiculous justification for not working. Judges are itching to give fights to the boxer on offense. If you throw and the other guys doesn't have a chance to, you win, whether you connect solidly or not.

I guess I'm glad I didn't see it. Glad that I didn't pay $55 to see it at least if Oscar doesn't do the one thing that a) worked, and b) everyone on the planet knew he'd have to to win. As much as I dislike Mayweather, or the character he plays, I certainly hope that he looks at another big name fight. And that that big name floors him.

das Monkey
05-06-07, 06:22 PM
Not really. I had the fight 7-5, as did a lot of people. It depends on what you preferred in some of those rounds. There were rounds where Floyd was getting credit for landed shots, and it looked like Oscar was picking off almost every one of them. For about 3 rounds Floyd didn't land a single meaningful punch. I had it for Floyd, but going 7-5 for Oscar isn't close to nearly the worst judging I've ever seen.
It wouldn't be the worst of all time, but it would still be pretty terrible. I won't argue 7-5 for Floyd. It's generous to Oscar, but if you want to reward his aggression, I don't think that's unreasonable. However, I don't see where anyone finds 2 more rounds to give De La Hoya, and that's including the 12th. At best, and it would be pretty bad, someone could go 6-6, but 7-5 is either De La Hoya favoritism or crowd manipulation, both of which are unacceptable from a professional.
I heard someone point out that even when Oscar was on the offensive, Floyd was avoiding/blocking most of his shots. That strikes me as a ridiculous justification for not working. Judges are itching to give fights to the boxer on offense. If you throw and the other guys doesn't have a chance to, you win, whether you connect solidly or not.
Pretty much the only thing De La Hoya could land was the jab, and it kept him in the fight in the middle rounds. Once he stopped, Mayweather started owning him. Rounds 9, 10, and 11 were incredibly one-sided. It was really strange how he stopped throwing it.

There was a great sequence in one of the early rounds that pretty much told the story of this fight. De La Hoya backed Mayweather into a corner and unleashed a flurry of some 15 body shots. The crowd went crazy!!! Of course, every single one of the "punches" just grazed the side of Mayweather, the only danger being a potential rash from the gloves sliding by, and in slow-motion, you can see Mayweather not only smiling during the exchange but fighting off a yawn. When De La Hoya was done swinging wildly, Mayweather popped him in the face cleanly a few times. That was the fight.

Aside from giving up on the jab, though, De La Hoya did a great job pressing the fight and should be rewarded with a few of the closer rounds. Strategically, it was a flaw, but he certainly gave maximum effort. Mayweather, on the other hand, seemed to only be trying at about 75%. Without Oscar chasing Floyd, it would have been insanely boring. He just ran into a much more skilled fighter, something we all knew anyway when the bout was signed. I'm not sure what a rematch will really accomplish.

das

IIG
05-06-07, 06:40 PM
A rematch accomplishes nothing. How could it be any different? The only thing that could happen differently is Oscar keeping the jabs consistent. Of course, by that point, Floyd will have trained and found a way to avoid it. Oscar gave all that he had this fight. This was a great De La Hoya performance. It was an off day for Floyd, and I'm sure he would agree. And in my mind, it was still a 116-112 win for Mayweather. The next fight could be 119-109 for Floyd.

ILikeDVD
05-06-07, 08:14 PM
I caved in and ordered the fight.Hope its a good one ;)
next time use www.dewsaw.com for all your PPV needs.

Rypro 525
05-06-07, 08:56 PM
i like how Jim Lamply kept on calling 50 cent "fitty"

thecrazydude
05-07-07, 02:31 PM
It wasn't even close and that one judge almost robbed Mayweather! Oscar would throw 10 punches and not hit mayweather one time. The punches have to connect to count!

Also, All this talk of Oscar could have Won if he threw the jab. Its just an excuse. Mayweather took Oscars jab away after the first couple of rounds. I had the fight 16-12 or 117-111. Oscar was soundly beaten.

Quake1028
05-07-07, 03:11 PM
Mayweather didn't take away the jab. Oscar stopped throwing it completely. Also, there were stretches where Oscar was blocking everything Floyd threw. It wasn't just the other way around.

Shannon Nutt
05-07-07, 03:25 PM
There was a great sequence in one of the early rounds that pretty much told the story of this fight. De La Hoya backed Mayweather into a corner and unleashed a flurry of some 15 body shots. The crowd went crazy!!! Of course, every single one of the "punches" just grazed the side of Mayweather, the only danger being a potential rash from the gloves sliding by, and in slow-motion, you can see Mayweather not only smiling during the exchange but fighting off a yawn. When De La Hoya was done swinging wildly, Mayweather popped him in the face cleanly a few times. That was the fight.

De La Hoya could have "stole" the fight had he done this in every round, regardless of whether he was connecting or hurting Mayweather or not. Those of us old enough to remember Leonard/Hagler will remember how Leonard would flurry at the end of rounds (throwing a lot of punches, but doing little damage) to "steal" them away in the eyes of the judges...it was a brilliant strategy to "beat" Hagler without actually beating him.

mrpayroll
05-07-07, 04:29 PM
You're welcome. Condescending or not, it was likely a fair assessment. Had you asked anyone who knows fuck all about boxing that wasn't connected to Oscar in some way (like Hopkins or Shane Mosley) before the fight who would win, I guarantee you just about every one of them would have picked Mayweather going away. He was a 2-1 favorite in the fight. Oscar is the only boxer that people not into the sport know about, thus making it more likely for people to pick him in a poll such as this one.

Clap 'til your hands fall off.

Well it's a couple of days since the fight and I thought that Mayweather won on points. I was surprised that one judge gave the fight to Oscar.

That being said, Mayweather boxed the same way as he always does, like a pussy. He's not a 'man' in a mans sport, he's a 'pretty boy' who only cares about money and keeping his good looks.

Thank God for fighters like Oscar de la Hoya who risk career, health and pride to fight the best. I don't agree with his post fight statement that he thought he did enough to win. Unfortunately, he tired out those last 4 rounds or the results would have been different.

There should NOT be a rematch. Oscar is not strong enough to cause much damage to 'Pretty Boy', so we would see a likely repeat of a less than stellar boxing match.

I agree with you that the expert's would pick Mayweather. But to say that the casual fan, in saying that they felt that De La Hoya would win, that those 'casual' fans did not know what they were talking about, well, it was condescending.

But, if Mayweather would once fight like his life depended on it, then maybe he would be a boxer worthy of such praise that Oscar de la Hoya has had over his career.

Lennox Lewis' style reminds me a lot of Mayweathers style, fight behind the jab, never take any chances and never give the fans and viewing public what they want / deserve to see. That is why I also didn't like Lennox as a boxer.

Yes, thank God for boxers like de la Hoya, Gatti, Barrera & others, who knew who paid their salaries!

Chris

mrpayroll
05-07-07, 04:40 PM
Oscar was soundly beaten.

'Beaten' would have been correct if Mayweather had any inclination to actually fight Oscar. Oscar lost on points.

I don't think I've ever seen a prettier face on Oscar after a fight, in the last 5 years of his fighting. Neither fighter was ever hurt or ever in danger of getting knocked down.

What hasn't been discussed here, but I think would make a good topic is Mosley vs. Mayweather.

Shane is the only boxer I can think of that is in Floyd's weight range and is almost / just as fast a puncher as Floyd is. I might spend $50 on a PPV for that. But I doubt that I would spend $55 on a rematch of Oscar vs Floyd.

Chris

das Monkey
05-07-07, 05:17 PM
Lennox Lewis' style reminds me a lot of Mayweathers style, fight behind the jab, never take any chances and never give the fans and viewing public what they want / deserve to see.
Lewis's style was so bad, he actually bored Oliver McCall to tears. :rimshot: Mayweather has a long way to go to link himself to Lewis, though. He hasn't fought nearly enough over-the-hill jokes and has yet to get his ass kicked by a Ukrainian and then retire to avoid the rematch.

das

Quake1028
05-07-07, 05:53 PM
'Beaten' would have been correct if Mayweather had any inclination to actually fight Oscar. Oscar lost on points.

I don't think I've ever seen a prettier face on Oscar after a fight, in the last 5 years of his fighting. Neither fighter was ever hurt or ever in danger of getting knocked down.

What hasn't been discussed here, but I think would make a good topic is Mosley vs. Mayweather.

Shane is the only boxer I can think of that is in Floyd's weight range and is almost / just as fast a puncher as Floyd is. I might spend $50 on a PPV for that. But I doubt that I would spend $55 on a rematch of Oscar vs Floyd.

Chris

A motivated Mosley (like the one from his last fight) is the only current boxer I would pick over Floyd.

mrpayroll
05-07-07, 06:04 PM
A motivated Mosley (like the one from his last fight) is the only current boxer I would pick over Floyd.

Well, if beating the world's best pound for pound (?) fighter is not motivation enough, then I don't know what is. :lol:

Chris

mrpayroll
05-07-07, 06:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070507/en_nm/crime_hbo_dc_1

HBO chief arrested in Las Vegas after dispute

Mon May 7, 1:13 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The chairman of the HBO cable television network was arrested in Las Vegas on Sunday on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Police officers saw Chris Albrecht engaged in a "physical confrontation" in the valet parking area outside the MGM Grand hotel shortly after 3 a.m. PDT (1000 GMT), Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Bill Cassell told the newspaper.

Cassell said Albrecht was arrested and booked into the Clark County Detention Center on suspicion of a misdemeanor battery-domestic assault.

Albrecht was at the venue for HBO's broadcast of the World Boxing Council's super-welterweight championship boxing match, in which Floyd Mayweather, Jr defeated Oscar De La Hoya.

Albrecht has been chairman and CEO of Time Warner Inc.-owned HBO since July 2002, according to a corporate profile. A former nightclub owner and talent agent, he has been at HBO since 1985, playing an instrumental role in its transformation into a television powerhouse, thanks to such shows as "The Sopranos" and "Entourage."

Chris

Slumbering Fist
05-07-07, 07:56 PM
I had it a close win for Floyd, the swing factor being that I was iffy on two rounds- if I remember correctly, rounds 3 & 9... Once again, Oscar's conditioning failed him, which is really sad considering how often its been a problem. I was really surprised at how he found Floyd early. Affective or not, those flurries and forward motion with a consistent jab could have won him the fight if he only had the energy to maintain it for 12 rounds.

Floyd is no doubt a pound for pound great, but to compare him to the upper echelon of all-time greats is a tad unfair, especially considering his output. While he faced some of the top guys in his respective weight classes, I dont think he fought enough of them. Sure, a big part of that is money, but in order to be a "great" while he was at the top he should have faced deserving guys like Hatton and Margarito, just to name two, instead of a washed-up Gatti and out of nowhere Cinderella man Baldomir.

mrpayroll
05-09-07, 11:57 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hbo9may09,0,6696009.story?track=ntothtml

HBO chief accused of assault in 1991

Albrecht is said to have battered a subordinate he had dated.
By Claudia Eller, Times Staff Writer

May 9, 2007

Chris Albrecht temporarily stepped aside as chairman and chief executive of Home Box Office on Tuesday after his weekend arrest on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend.

But the incident raises questions about how the cable channel handled an earlier allegation of battery involving Albrecht.

In 1991, Time Warner Inc.'s HBO paid a settlement of at least $400,000 to a female subordinate with whom Albrecht was romantically involved after she alleged that he shoved and choked her, according to four people with knowledge of the matter who declined to be named because the payment was confidential.

The settlement, to Sasha Emerson, was overseen by Time Warner President Jeffrey Bewkes, who at the time was a top executive at the cable network, said two people familiar with the details. Bewkes is in line to become chief executive of Time Warner next year, when Richard Parsons retires.

Reached late Tuesday, David Chesnoff, Albrecht's lawyer, and Time Warner spokesman Ed Adler declined to comment.

Albrecht, a 22-year HBO veteran and the creative force behind such hit series as "The Sopranos," said Tuesday that he had a drinking problem and would take a voluntary leave.

Parsons said the company takes "these matters very seriously and will monitor this situation closely." HBO Chief Operating Officer Bill Nelson will assume Albrecht's duties, Time Warner said.

Albrecht was arrested around 3 a.m. Sunday in Las Vegas outside the MGM Grand Hotel when police broke up an altercation between him and his unidentified girlfriend. Albrecht spent 12 hours in a detention center before being released and returning to his home in Los Angeles.

People who have worked with the 54-year-old executive describe him as a creative genius given to emotional tirades.

In the wake of Albrecht's arrest, industry executives were abuzz about the alleged 1991 incident involving Albrecht and his subordinate, Sasha Emerson. Emerson, who signed a confidentiality agreement, has never spoken publicly about the matter, and when contacted Tuesday, she declined to comment.

The episode never surfaced in the press, and people close to Emerson said Tuesday that they were surprised HBO was able to keep it secret for 16 years.

At the time, Albrecht was president of HBO Independent Productions, which developed and produced hit comedy series such as "Martin" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" for distribution on HBO and major broadcast networks.

Emerson, who had joined HBO in 1986, was senior vice president at HBO Independent Productions and reported directly to Albrecht.

By 1990, the two had become romantically involved. Both were married at the time. The affair broke up Emerson's first marriage, according to one person close to her.

By the time the incident occurred, Emerson and Albrecht had ended their trysts. Albrecht allegedly assaulted Emerson in her office in Century City when she told him she had been dating someone else, said one person close to Emerson. Albrecht allegedly threw her from her chair to the ground, the person said.

She reported the confrontation to HBO Chief Michael Fuchs, the person said. Fuchs did not return calls Tuesday.

HBO launched an internal investigation. At the conclusion, lawyers for Emerson and HBO began settlement talks.

A 1991 divorce filing from her husband, Jonathan Emerson, stated that Sasha Emerson would receive a "personal injury settlement award from HBO as a result of petitioner's claim against HBO."

Emerson left HBO in 1991 and took a job as a television executive at New Line. In 1998, she left the entertainment industry and is now an interior designer.

Albrecht became president of original programming at HBO in 1995 and chairman in July 2002.

In a letter to "my colleagues and friends" at HBO that the company released Tuesday, Albrecht confessed that he had resumed drinking two years ago after being "a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous for 13 years." He said he would take the leave "in order to go back to working with AA."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
claudia.eller@latimes.com

Times staff writers Thomas Mulligan and Alana Semuels contributed to this report.

Since he was at the fight and was responsible for televising the fight, I thought this was the best thread to put it in.

Chris

mrpayroll
05-09-07, 07:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070509/ap_on_sp_bo_ne/box_de_la_hoya_mayweather_ppv_2

De La Hoya-Mayweather richest fight ever

By TIM DAHLBERG, AP Boxing Writer
Wed May 9, 3:53 PM ET

LAS VEGAS - Turns out the obituaries written for boxing were a bit premature. Oscar De La Hoya's fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. set a record for most televised buys for a fight, according to figures released Wednesday, surpassing Mike Tyson's second fight with Evander Holyfield and making it boxing's richest event.

A total of 2.15 million households paid $54.95 for the fight, generating revenue of $120 million. The previous record set by Tyson-Holyfield was 1.99 million buys.

"This puts to bed this theory of boxing being in trouble, or being dead or dying," said Ross Greenburg, head of HBO Sports. "This fight would have never materialized if boxing was dying."

A person close to the promotion said De La Hoya would end up making about $45 million for the fight and Mayweather just over $20 million. That person requested anonymity because the promoters did not want official figures released.

The $45 million would be the biggest purse paid to a fighter, higher than the $35 million purses Tyson and Holyfield reportedly were paid for the infamous "Bite Fight."

Mayweather beat De La Hoya on a split decision Saturday night in an entertaining fight that drew a record live gate of $19 million at the MGM Grand Garden arena. Mayweather won on two of the three ringside scorecards to win the WBC 154-pound title.

The fight will be replayed Saturday at 10 p.m. EDT.

Greenburg credited the success of the network's "24/7" reality show that ran in a coveted Sunday night slot behind the "Sopranos" and "Entourage" for three weeks leading up to the fight with helping sell both the public and the media on its worth.

Mayweather and his dysfunctional family, including his estranged father, Floyd Sr., and his trainer and uncle, Roger, became the stars of the show, allowing non-boxing fans a glimpse into the life of the fighter.

"The series was not only well received by the American public, who were suddenly attracted in a very human way to these two fighters, but it allowed the media to cover the fight in more depth," Greenburg said. "They were able to dive deeper into the backgrounds of both fighters."

The reality show concept never had been done among top fighters in boxing, but a similar series on the Spike network was credited with making Ultimate Fighting Championship mixed-martial arts fighters popular.

Greenburg said the 2.15 million buys have to be multiplied because most people who bought the fight invited others over to watch. Multiplied by five fans or more a household, the fight likely was seen live by well over 10 million people, he said.

"I'm not going to say that boxing was thriving, but it was thriving on our network," Greenburg said. "I think we were losing the average sports fans, but this proves if you do the right names and the right matches you can win the average fan back."

The huge success and competitive nature of the fight also brings up the possibility of a rematch.

"You can't generate this kind of revenue and think the two fighters wouldn't want to do it again," Greenburg said. "I haven't heard from Oscar, so I don't know. You never know in boxing."

So, slave wages of $20M? That's probably more than Mayweather has made in his last 5 fights. And he has Oscar to thank for that.

And I had 14 people over for the fight, so I bet the 5 per household figure is way low.

Chris

Quake1028
05-09-07, 07:23 PM
We had 5 exactly.

mrpayroll
05-09-07, 07:37 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/09/hbo-cancels-albrecht/

HBO Cancels Albrecht

Posted May 9th 2007 6:57PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: TV

In the wake of his Las Vegas arrest this past weekend, HBO has decided to cut ties with Chairman and CEO, Chris Albrecht.

In a statement obtained by TMZ, Time Warner Chairman and CEO Richard D. Parsons said:

"Jeff Bewkes (President and COO of Time Warner) and I believe that this is the right decision for the Company. We thank Chris for all of his contributions to Home Box Office over the years."

Albrecht, who had been with HBO for 22 years, says that he "agreed to step down ... recognizing that I cannot allow my personal circumstances to distract them from the business."

HBO Chief Operating Officer Bill Nelson will temporarily take over Albrecht's duties until a new CEO is appointed.

Albrecht was arrested over the weekend for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend outside the MGM Grand Casino after the prizefight between Oscar de la Hoya and Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Yesterday, Albrecht sent a letter to the HBO staff, which stated that he was "deeply sorry" for the Vegas incident, and revealed that he is a recovering alcoholic who had slipped.

Chris

mrpayroll
05-11-07, 12:53 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ap-mayweathersfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mayweather awaiting call for rematch with De La Hoya

By DAVE SKRETTA, AP Sports Writer
May 10, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Retirement by definition is final. Let's be honest and say Floyd Mayweather Jr. is taking a vacation.

The unofficial pound-for-pound king said before his 12-round, split-decision victory over Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday that he would hang it up for good afterward. But he hedged at a post-fight press conference and said during a whirlwind media blitz in New York on Thursday that he's waiting for De La Hoya to call for a rematch.

"We had a good fight," Mayweather said, chomping on a sandwich at HBO headquarters. "I think that number two would be even better, because we can fight toe-to-toe. And I really have nothing else to prove in this sport."

That's not entirely true. Pretty Boy is trying to get his young promotional company off the ground, and another big payday wouldn't hurt. Mayweather said he made $25 million to $30 million on the fight, which drew a record 2.15 million pay-per-view buys helped in part by the "24-7" reality show lead-in that attracted many casual fans.

De La Hoya would be well-served by a rematch, too, for his Golden Boy Promotions and his own legacy. The 34-year-old boxer has lost three of his last five fights, and Mayweather doesn't think De La Hoya is willing to go out on a loss.

"He wants to talk about part two, he can call me," Mayweather said. "I say there's pride involved. If he tells all you guys he won't come back and fight again, he'll come back and fight me again. That's it."

HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg certainly isn't buying into the Mayweather retirement talk. Not after a sellout crowd of 16,200 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena resulted in a $19 million live gate, also a record.

"It's just starting for him. I think he's teasing all of us," Greenburg said, a day after revealing the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight was the richest in boxing history with $120 million in pay-per-view revenue. "You're not in the prime like he is, in life and in the ring, and go on vacation for five years. He'll get itchy."

If De La Hoya doesn't want a rematch, Greenburg ticked off a list of other fighters who might want a shot at Mayweather: aging Shane Mosley, WBO champ Antonio Margarito, undefeated Miguel Cotto, who will defend his WBA welterweight title against Zab Judah on June 9, and Felix Trinidad.

"He has a flood of opponents," Greenburg said. "I mean, line 'em up."

Trinidad could be the most intriguing.

De La Hoya has said before he would like a rematch with Tito, who handed De La Hoya his first loss with a controversial split decision in 1999. But Mayweather also perked up when told that Trinidad has said he could fight at 160 pounds.

Trinidad, who has held the world welterweight, light middleweight and middleweight belts, announced his retirement after losing a lopsided 12-round decision to Ronald "Winky" Wright in 2005. But Trinidad has the name recognition that could generate another big payday for Mayweather.

"You've got to be business minded," Mayweather said. "Nobody knows Margarito. He's not a draw, so I can't fight anybody like that. Two fighters have to be on a certain plateau to meet up for a fight like this."

Whomever faces Mayweather next -- assuming all this retirement talk is just talk -- Greenburg said another "24-7" reality show is almost certain.

The three-week show, which aired in an enviable Sunday night time slot, gave the public a glimpse at the two fighters away from the ring. While the popular De La Hoya already has his legions, the show allowed Mayweather's magnetic personality to seep into the public consciousness.

It also showcased his dysfunctional family, which drummed up even more interest.

"When you saw the show, it made you want to go out and buy the fight," Mayweather said. "Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather was the biggest fight in boxing history."

Updated on Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:28 pm EDT

Floyd is so full of crap. The day he goes toe to toe with any fighter is the day that I grow a full head of hair back.

What an idiot he is, if he really thinks we want to pay $55 for a rematch.

Chris