Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
FFXIII Thread of chocobo ranching

Link

Square Enix Confirms FFXIII Is Not Exclusive To PS3
by Michal Birecki on 17/04/2007 Views: 40445

In news that is sure to rock the gaming world it has been confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII, the blockbuster RPG highly anticipated by millions of fans of the series, will not be an exclusive game for the PlayStation 3 console.

The Final Fantasy XIII project as of right now consists of two games for the PlayStation 3 as well as a mobile game. Motomu Toriyama of Square Enix has come out and made the confirmation that other consoles will be receiving Final Fantasy XIII on top of the PlayStation 3.

This is pretty big news and could lead to speculation as to which Final Fantasy XIII games are going where. The obvious rumors are going to be that FFXIII is heading to the Xbox 360 as well as the PlayStation 3.
This quote though could also mean that the series could be heading to the Nintendo DS handheld and or the Nintendo WII as well since Square Enix has been very impressed and pleased with the progression and installed user base of the Wii, with the DS already receiving the Final Fantasy treatment a few times.

Let the rumors begin. Either way though the fact that Final Fantasy XIII will not be a PS3-exclusive has to make any Sony fan cringe in their gaming chairs.
I honestly haven't really played a FF game since 7 (tried out 10 a little bit) and I didn't see this anywhere else on the forum. But I know this was supposed to be one of the "big" exclusives on the PS3, right? If it does end up going to 360, I think that's another big blow to the system.
Old 04-20-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had said at one point that FFXIII would be the thing that got me to buy a PS3. If it's not exclusive, I have zero motivation (okay, that's not true, but I'm not sure if I'd want to buy a whole system just for KHIII) to buy one.
Old 04-20-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this means that other FFXIII games are going to other systems.. such as the case with the DS Final Fantasy XII game. I do not think this means (at least at this time) that the main FFXIII will be going anywhere else. They've apparently got something like eight FFXIII games planned.
Old 04-20-07, 10:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
HUGE blow to Sony, IMHO.
Old 04-20-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read this on joystiq the other day:
Square Enix director Motomu Toriyama hasn't told PSM Australia anything other than what we've already known: Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII is a collective of projects that has never been declared exclusive to one platform. Yet, when Toriyama suggests that Fabula Nova Crystallis "isn't just limited to three titles" and that "it's not simply exclusive to the PS3 and mobile phones," so many of us are willing to take a leap of faith, heralding these words as a death knell for Sony, and as a confirmation of FFXIII on Xbox 360. Before you join the feverish mob, remember to draw a distinction between the primary game, currently exclusive to PlayStation 3, and the general series, already totaling three titles (Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII) and at least one loose logo, Haeresis ("Dissidia" is also possibly linked to FFXIII).

Toriyama has merely reaffirmed that, like Final Fantasy VII, the FFXIII brand will be spun into an array of disparate shards, conveniently linked by a popular title. We may yet see a spin-off on 360 -- or even a port of the PS3 games -- but don't jump to that conclusion based on the PSM interview. Yes, we've still got Haeresis (and possibly Dissidia) without a home, but either DS or PSP, or dare we say Blu-ray, DVD, and UMD, are just as valid destinations as Xbox 360 -- don't count out PlayStation 2 or Wii either. Given all the fuss that Final Fantasy rouses, Square Enix would do best to deliver on all of 'em.

The moral is: Final Fantasy XIII -- the game -- is still exclusive to PlayStation 3.
Old 04-20-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
HUGE blow to Sony, IMHO.
Not really. The main game will still be exclusive to the PS3 but all the off-shoots(i.e. FFXIII-2, FFXIII-2½, etc.) will be on the Wii, 360 or DS.
Old 04-20-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Due to all of the "multiple games for multiple platforms" nonsense, have they flat out said that Final Fantasy XIII will remain exclusive to the PS3? It seems like no one really knows for sure.
Old 04-20-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No one does no for sure, but no one has any reason to believe the main game will be going multi-platform either. At least not at this point in time. You know Microsoft wants it.
Old 04-20-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With Squares leanings towards technical achievement, at least in the main series, then there's no doubt that the 360 would have to be the one that would get a port, rather than the wii, if such was the case.
Old 04-20-07, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII is a collective of projects that has never been declared exclusive to one platform. Yet, when Toriyama suggests that Fabula Nova Crystallis "isn't just limited to three titles" and that "it's not simply exclusive to the PS3 and mobile phones,"
They're not referring to the main game in that statement, they're talking about the other games related to FFXIII.
Old 04-20-07, 11:49 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt the main game will go anywhere else, unfortunately. Its one of the few remaining Sony exclusives I'll miss since I refuse to buy a PS3.
Old 04-20-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
Not really. The main game will still be exclusive to the PS3 but all the off-shoots(i.e. FFXIII-2, FFXIII-2½, etc.) will be on the Wii, 360 or DS.
The original article doesn't specify the main game or spinoffs, so anything is an assumption. It seems that FFXIII being a PS3 exclusive was pretty much an assumption as well and I don't recall it being specifically stated by either Sony or Square-Enix that it was one.

Either way, it sounds like there isn't any official word.
Old 04-20-07, 01:47 PM

considering they already have a FF title on the 360, its not a stretch of the imagination to envision yet another FF title on the 360. Hopefully, it won't be as dumb as the last, but I really only get interested in their tactics titles, so its a non-issue for me
Old 04-20-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I think this means that other FFXIII games are going to other systems.. such as the case with the DS Final Fantasy XII game. I do not think this means (at least at this time) that the main FFXIII will be going anywhere else. They've apparently got something like eight FFXIII games planned.
That's exactly how I read it.
Old 04-20-07, 02:55 PM

It actually DOESN'T make sense for them to keep the main game (or any of them) exclusive anymore. The 360 is successful enough and would only help to gain a larger audience, or keep those whove bought a 360.

On the other hand, as far as I can remember, Square has never ported any of their games. FFXI doesn't really count. Of course, there's a first time for everything.
Old 04-20-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It made sense last generation for Final Fantasy to be exclusive to the PS2. They weren't leaving any money on the table (100 million units is nothing to scoff at).

This time around, they may be leaving half of their potential profits out by not offering the game to the more popular system.

I can't imagine Sony is paying them enough for that to make sense.
Old 04-20-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched the developer walkthrough of Lair from the PS3 thread. The guy talking starts talking about some sort of technology (mesh something or other) that the Cell Processor enables them that wouldn't be possible on "other consoles".

Is that just horseshit or are developers really starting to do things on the PS3 that simply can't be ported over as-is? If that's the case, there's a chance that FFXIII is so advanced or doing something so unique it can't be moved to the 360 without a concession of some sort - maybe even to the point that the game itself isn't possible.
Old 04-20-07, 03:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelgearX
On the other hand, as far as I can remember, Square has never ported any of their games.
Several FF games are available on multiple platforms, including PC.
Old 04-20-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Several FF games are available on multiple platforms, including PC.
I'm assuming he meant multi-platform rather then ports. Other then 7 and 8 on PC, none of their games has been released multi-platform during each of their respective generations.
Old 04-20-07, 03:41 PM

EVERY system has its little perks. RE4 was said to not be possible on PS2. Splinter Cell took a huge hit in graphics (especially in multiplayer) on the move from Xbox to PS2. In the end, graphical superiority is moot if the installed base isn't there.
Old 04-21-07, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From what I've heard, Sony has an exclusivity contract with Squenix that runs through FFXIII, but everything after XIII is fair game for other consoles. Squenix found a way around the contract by releasing off-brand FF games on the Gamecube (Crystal Chronicles) and redone ports of the older games on the GBA/DS (1-6). But as far as I know, Squenix is still contractually obligated to release the main FFXIII title as a PS3 exclusive. Their multi-title FFXIII project is allowing them to get around the exclusivity for games other than the main FFXIII. But I wouldn't be surprised if every game post XIII is on multiple consoles, including KHIII.
Old 04-21-07, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I watched the developer walkthrough of Lair from the PS3 thread. The guy talking starts talking about some sort of technology (mesh something or other) that the Cell Processor enables them that wouldn't be possible on "other consoles".

Is that just horseshit or are developers really starting to do things on the PS3 that simply can't be ported over as-is? If that's the case, there's a chance that FFXIII is so advanced or doing something so unique it can't be moved to the 360 without a concession of some sort - maybe even to the point that the game itself isn't possible.
It's somewhat a pile of feces I think. Having said that, there's no doubt that maxing out both the PS3 and 360 would require different approaches on each. So a quick and dirty cross platform game shouldn't look as good as a platform exclusive game.
Old 04-21-07, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
From what I've heard, Sony has an exclusivity contract with Squenix that runs through FFXIII, but everything after XIII is fair game for other consoles. Squenix found a way around the contract by releasing off-brand FF games on the Gamecube (Crystal Chronicles) and redone ports of the older games on the GBA/DS (1-6). But as far as I know, Squenix is still contractually obligated to release the main FFXIII title as a PS3 exclusive. Their multi-title FFXIII project is allowing them to get around the exclusivity for games other than the main FFXIII. But I wouldn't be surprised if every game post XIII is on multiple consoles, including KHIII.
Let's not forget that Sony is still a principal shareholder in Square Enix, with an 8.62% stake in the company (2005 Annual Report link). As long as the IP in question remains profitable, regardless of which platform a series is destined for, Sony will receive a portion of its profits from software sales and related merchandise tie-ins.
Old 04-24-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PrivatePixel
Let's not forget that Sony is still a principal shareholder in Square Enix, with an 8.62% stake in the company (2005 Annual Report link).
Hardly a controlling factor in steering the company nor enough of a profit share for Sony to okay expanding the franchise to multiple platforms.

FFIII could have easily been made for the PSP instead of the DS. What happened there?
Old 04-24-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No one actually owns a PSP, and the DS is on it's way to be the best-selling gaming machine (if it's not there already).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.