Rolling Stone to archive every issue on DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-19-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070419/...ollingstone_dc

Rolling Stone magazine will release its entire printed history on DVD in the fall, coinciding with the celebration of its 40th anniversary.

Archive software firm Bondi Digital Publishing is scanning over 115,000 pages from more than 1,000 issues, using a proprietary platform previously used for the New Yorker and currently being deployed for Playboy.

The DVD, "Rolling Stone Cover-to-Cover: The First 40 Years," will cost $119.99. It will allow users to search for every article, photograph and review that appeared in print, even the infamous five-star love letter that editor Jann Wenner gave his friend Mick Jagger's last solo record in 2001.

"It may have been a little over the top," Wenner said of his contrarian review.

Rolling Stone, which Wenner founded in San Francisco in 1967, launched the careers of such writers as Hunter S. Thompson, Lester Bangs, Greil Marcus, and Cameron Crowe, as well as photographers including Annie Leibovitz and Mark Seliger.

Fresh from celebrating its 1,000th issue last year, Rolling Stone will publish three 40th anniversary issues, beginning Friday with a double issue featuring interviews with key artists and newsmakers from the baby-boom generation, such as Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Martin Scorsese and Jagger.

Reuters
Old 04-19-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds interesting. I wonder how "user-friendly" it will be to navigate. Is it for a computer DVD-rom or can you view it on any dvd player?
Old 04-19-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i cant see it being for dvd players. Probably dvd rom for pc
Old 04-19-07, 02:04 PM
Cool New Member

Wow, that is pretty cool. Afain, like JackBurton said, I wonder how easy it will be to navigate. If it's good in that area, I will probably try and pick one up.
Old 04-19-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

. thanks for the info. i will have to look into this. the search function alone may be worth the price of admission.
Old 04-19-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Archive software firm Bondi Digital Publishing is scanning over 115,000 pages from more than 1,000 issues, using a proprietary platform previously used for the New Yorker and currently being deployed for Playboy.
Screw Rolling Stone. I want the entire run of Playboy.
Old 04-19-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Word Peep Playboy from year one to now that would be cool.
Old 04-19-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty cool.
Old 04-19-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Ya know, I would like to see this become a real hot seller. That would mean other magazines will follow suit. It could become the new thing, kind of like how TV seasons on DVD became so popular.
Old 04-19-07, 04:08 PM

They've already done it pretty extensively for comic books. You can get 40-year plus runs of Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and most recently the Hulk - over 500 issues each for $49.99 - cheaper with a discount. There's also a complete Mad Magazine for the same price. I'd like to see them do National Geographic.
Old 04-19-07, 05:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

how would you like the job of scanning every issue?
Old 04-19-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Cathepsin
They've already done it pretty extensively for comic books. You can get 40-year plus runs of Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and most recently the Hulk - over 500 issues each for $49.99 - cheaper with a discount.
Oh man, I had no idea. I have GOT to get these. Thanks!!!
Old 04-19-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cathepsin
They've already done it pretty extensively for comic books. You can get 40-year plus runs of Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and most recently the Hulk - over 500 issues each for $49.99 - cheaper with a discount. There's also a complete Mad Magazine for the same price. I'd like to see them do National Geographic.
I didn't realize Mad Magazine had a DVD version out now. I've got the old CD-ROM version and it's great. I may have to look into the DVD, having it updated and on one disc would be nice.

National Geographic definitely did this back in the CD-ROM days. It was something like 30 discs and pretty poor quality, but it contained every single issue up to that point.
Old 04-19-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I'll have to check on the Rolling Stone release. Sounds nice. I'll also have to find the Mad Magazine release. Amazon has it for $39 but it's not in stock.
Old 04-19-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts
Weird that you guys are talking about the Mad disc today. I ordered it this morning from Talesofwonder.com ( http://talesofwonder.com/product-exe.../55/sc/1,22,55 )...along with the Spiderman disc. I have all the other releases so far but they have just recently released the complete Ghost Rider, complete The Incredible Hulk, and the complete Captain America is coming next month!

See this thread for more details & discussion of comics on dvd: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....3&page=1&pp=25

Rolling Stone doesn't interest me but I do think that other magazines might eventually follow suit. Playboy would be an awesome title to have every issue of. I am racking my brain to think of other magazines besides comic books that I would like to see get this kind of treatment.
Old 04-20-07, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty cool idea but i have no intrest in Rolling Stone mag.
Old 04-20-07, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
National Geographic definitely did this back in the CD-ROM days. It was something like 30 discs and pretty poor quality, but it contained every single issue up to that point.
National Geographic also rereleased their set on 4 DVD's around 1998. The quality is no better but its certainly easier to use.
Old 04-20-07, 02:07 PM

For those wondering about Playboy on DVD-ROM:

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/tic...&Symbol=US:PLA

More than 50 Years of the Iconic Men's Magazine to Be Released on Six DVDs

CHICAGO, Feb. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Playboy Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: PLA, PLAA) and Bondi Digital Publishing LLC, today announced plans to create a highly anticipated, one-of-a-kind series of DVD box sets that will deliver to consumers 53 years of Playboy magazine in an electronic format. An instant must-have for collectors and Playboy aficionados, this groundbreaking digital archive will contain the articles, interviews, cartoons, photographs -- and even advertisements -- as they appeared in the original print editions. Released by decade, the first two sets, featuring every issue from the 1950s and 1960s, will hit stores in October 2007 with additional sets slated for release in 2008.

To bring Playboy to life digitally, Bondi Digital Publishing -- the software pioneers who developed the platform for The Complete New Yorker -- will scan and re-type all 636 issues of Playboy (a total of 115,880 printed pages and more than 93,000 photos). Now Playboy readers and fans will be able to browse, search, organize and read digital replicas of the magazine, many of which are highly sought after collectors' items.

"This digital archive is a first in the mass consumer magazine and men's category," says Hugh M. Hefner, Playboy Founder, Editor-in-Chief and Chief Creative Officer. "Playboy magazine has a tremendous legacy. With our loyal readership, which has always shown a real interest in our archival issues, we knew this would be the perfect opportunity to offer Playboy fans what they have wanted for years."

Added David Anthony, co-founder of Bondi Digital Publishing: "Bondi is excited to partner with one of the most iconic brands in the world. The magazine has been an incredibly influential part of America's cultural landscape for more than 50 years. These box sets will offer a whole new way to explore the rich history and unique perspective of the magazine that fully one-fourth of all American college men were buying in the late 1960s."

"It's no wonder Playboy magazine is the world's best-selling men's monthly with its innovative editorial content and stunning photography," said Murat Aktar, co-founder of Bondi. "We were thrilled that our platform will organize this vast archive of paper magazines into searchable electronic collections for readers to enjoy."

Each box set will include a DVD with all the issues from a decade of the magazine's history as well as a 200-page companion book with never-before-seen photographs and correspondences, a Playboy timeline and highlights of selected pages from the magazine. The box set will be packaged in an elegant slipcover and retail for $100.

ABOUT PLAYBOY ENTERPRISES

Playboy Enterprises is a brand-driven, international multimedia entertainment company that published editions of Playboy magazine around the world; operates television networks and distributes programming globally; owns Playboy.com, a leading men's lifestyle and entertainment website; and licenses the Playboy trademark internationally for a range of consumer products and services.

ABOUT BONDI DIGITAL PUBLISHING

Founded in 2004, New York-based Bondi Digital Publishing is at the forefront of the migration of traditional magazine publications to digital editions. Under the leadership of David Anthony and Murat Aktar -- two of today's top experts in digital user experience design and the migration of music, print, film and games to digital platforms -- Bondi has quickly built a reputation within the magazine industry as innovators in the creation and development of consumer friendly, searchable digital magazine archives. Consumers were first introduced to its software platform as part of the landmark offering, The Complete New Yorker (released in September 2005). Bondi has since landed major licensing deals with key international media corporations, including Playboy Enterprises. For further information on Bondi, please go to http://www.bondidigital.com .

Copyright 2007 PRNewswire
Old 04-20-07, 04:03 PM

It's interesting and perhaps a bit ironic that we're starting to see a big rise in the use of DVD-ROM as a consumer format just as other formats are starting to make a dent in DVD-V sales.

You'd have to attribute this to the deep market penetration of DVD drives in computers, finally, so that DVD-ROM can take over from CD-ROM.

I have a couple of the Marvel DVDs (FF and X-Men), which use Adobe Acrobat, and I think these are outstanding products. It's a hoot not just to re-read the comics, but to see all the original ads and letter columns.

I'll be ordering the Rolling Stone disc as well. I was 15 when RS debuted, and it was really important to me in its first couple of decades. I've been reading it again lately (due to the easy availablility of nearly-free subscriptions), and have been surprised to find that it hasn't completely abandoned its original political perspective and social awareness.

R
Old 04-21-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
It would be criminal if they don't include the Rolling Stone 10th Anniversary TV special, featuring the Beatles Tribute From Hell!

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=988209650819812250&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>
Old 04-21-07, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It would be criminal if they don't include the Rolling Stone 10th Anniversary TV special, featuring the Beatles Tribute From Hell!
Except that they'd probably have to leave out 10 years of issues to accommodate 1 hour of video.

I know/assume you were joking, but this still vividly illustrates just how much of a data hog video is.

R
Old 04-22-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to peruse all those interviews throughout the years.
Old 04-22-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
how would you like the job of scanning every issue?
Old 04-22-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by rexinnih
Interesting. I'd like to peruse all those interviews throughout the years.
And, if they are scanning the actual page of each issue, the old ads would be a hoot to see.
Old 04-22-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good idea but a little late. Don't HD-DVDs hold more data than standard DVDs? Having to flip thru discs for content seems a bit primitive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.