Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 11:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
ER - "Family Business" - 4/19/07

"Family Business"
Spoiler:
When a young man comes into the ER with heart failure, Kovac and Gates must deal with the helpless father left behind. An Armenian man takes the time out of his schedule and risks his own life to be a Good Samaritan. Pratt takes the high road and attempts to make amends with his brother. Meanwhile, Abby and Gates deal with the constant challenges of parenthood.
Old 04-20-07, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ER has gotten boring of late. Parminder Nagra is cute, but everybody else leaves me cold.
Old 04-20-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jake's homelife subplot isn't working for me. Hopefully Jake will be able to ship off the kid to her grandparents.

Good to see Pratt reaching out to his brother, even if he's a little freaked about lil' brother's preference for guys.

Sam and the big lug had some good scenes. Can't believe Borat's producer almost killed the big lug as he was being wheeled out of the ER.

Overall, an episode to fold laundry to with it playing in the background.
Old 04-20-07, 10:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked Sam and the cop. I'm sure they'll meet again wen he arrests her demon spawn whenever he comes back from the home he's in.
Old 04-20-07, 01:56 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Didn't Pratt gave a big oafy brother when his character was 1st introduced? what ever happened to him?
Old 04-20-07, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Didn't Pratt gave a big oafy brother when his character was 1st introduced? what ever happened to him?
That wasn't his brother, it was a childhood (I think?) friend who he was taking care of. IIRC he was sent to a nursing home instead of jail (I think he had brain damage from a gunshot, but I don't remember the whole story).

Hope it helps.
Old 04-20-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That was Leon, who I think died a few seasons ago.
Old 04-20-07, 07:33 PM
Banned

Robert Prosky did an excellent job as the forgetful father. His real son (Andy Prosky) played his tv son.
Old 04-20-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Weak, nothing of an episode. Nice seeing Robert Prosky, though.
Old 04-20-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Fell asleep through this episode. Did I miss anything?
Old 04-22-07, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better than last weeks ho-hum episode. That long break really hurt the Quality of the show in my opinion not to mention it came in 3rd place in its respective timeslot this week.
It will pick up, I hope!
All i can say is bring back Dr. Carter! or Dr. Greene back from the dead now theres something to peak peoples intrest.
Clooney would never come back nor could NBC afford to pay him.

Robert Prosky did an excellent job as the forgetful father. His real son (Andy Prosky) played his tv son.
Agreed.
Id say it was almost as good as Red Buttons performance as 'Ruby'.

& was that fat guy from Borat?
Old 04-23-07, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

Another mediocre episode. To be honest, I don't like this season at all. I just finished watching the 1st season on DVD and it was really great. Besides the current season and the 1st, the only other season I've ever seen was the one last year. I thought it was pretty good as well, but this season is pretty sub-par.
Old 04-24-07, 01:16 AM

Another mediocre episode. To be honest, I don't like this season at all. I just finished watching the 1st season on DVD and it was really great. Besides the current season and the 1st, the only other season I've ever seen was the one last year. I thought it was pretty good as well, but this season is pretty sub-par.
I highly recommend that you pick up seasons 2-6 and season 7 on may 15. I don't work for WB or anything but the first 7 seasons of the show is Drama at its finest.
But yeah comparing season 1 to this season you can see a big decline in quality, this has been the worst season of ER, last year wasn't great but it wasn't horrible.
My problem with this season is they don't really have a lead for the show. I know ER is an ensemble show but at least in previous seasons (unlike the last 2) they have had a character to lead the show i.e. Clooney, Edwards, Wyle. Now they just have Kovach (Gordon Vsjnk-sorry for the spelling error) and to me he just doesn't make a very good lead.
Old 04-24-07, 01:49 AM
Cool New Member

At least there was no Africa episode this season. For me, that is the only saving grace of this season.

I agree. Goran does not make a good lead. Laura Innes would have been the better option if she had stayed.
Old 04-24-07, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by nateman241
Now they just have Kovach (Gordon Vsjnk-sorry for the spelling error) and to me he just doesn't make a very good lead.
Well, from what Ausiello says over at TVGuide.com...ou might not have to worry about him much longer. He's supposedly out at the end of this season.
Old 04-24-07, 05:41 AM

At least there was no Africa episode this season. For me, that is the only saving grace of this season.

I agree. Goran does not make a good lead. Laura Innes would have been the better option if she had stayed.
Agreed.
Laura Innes was the closet thing left to an original cast member after Carter left.
However there is someone coming to the ER that might save the show from death by the end of the season....
Old 04-24-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My main problem with the show is the big emphasis on the Abby-Kovach relationship which for me, I have never liked... I thought Carter-Abby was a much better relationship and when he left they shouldn't have gotten those 2 back. I think it kills the show imo. Beyond that, I think they should have Pratt take they lead as the "main" character he more than anyone else has a Ross, Carter, or Green personality.
Old 04-24-07, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Fantastic, you found my weak spot. I loved the Carter-Abby relationship but now the show acts as if they never existed. Up until the end of season 9, they definitely had that "together forever" feel. Kovac and Abby just make no sense since they got together right after Kovac was begging to start a family w/ Sam. Not to mention that their 1st relatiioship was disasterous and the words he used to break up with her horribly abusive.

Nateman, I'm not too sure who you are referring to.
Spoiler:
I know there might be a couple of people leaving and someone possibly returning early next season.