DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Planet Earth

Old 04-19-07, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planet Earth

Does anyone know of any deals on Planet Earth which comes out next week on DVD?
Old 04-19-07, 09:29 AM

i really don't like when people do this, but it is all of 10 posts down:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=498277
Old 04-19-07, 09:42 AM

That deal at B & N that you linked to is dead now. I ordered through the WB store and I'm getting the HD-DVD version for $64 plus tax (free shipping) using coupons. the SD version is also available through the WB store as well.

--John
Old 04-19-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by vballboy51
i really don't like when people do this, ...
Ditto, Ditto, DITTO!!!
Old 04-19-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deepdiscount has the SD version for $55.19. Costco's going to have it for $54.99, if you don't feel like waiting for it to ship, and BestBuy.com lists it at $59.99, if you don't have a costco around.

That took me all of 30 seconds to look those up. I know you're new and all, but it's not like there's some secret dvdtalk inner group that knows where all the best prices are. If someone finds a hot deal on something (like the B&N thing yesterday), then it'll get posted. It really doesn't help to ask for a deal on a specific title, other than clutter up the Bargains forum.
Old 04-19-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ripped from FW (w/kudos to mailfroggy):

best deal right now is at fye.com (better than Amazon, Buy.com, warner 10%+25%, familyvideo)

$74.99 - $10 Google Checkout (works only when product is available on 4/24 and after) - $10 rebate + free ship = $54.99 shipped (+tax in certain states)

link for blu-ray

link for HD-DVD

link for DVD = $34.99 shipped
The only issue is that you can't pre-order with Google Checkout....
Old 04-19-07, 12:02 PM

This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by SD version?
Old 04-19-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would think it means Standard Dvd
Old 04-19-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
It really doesn't help to ask for a deal on a specific title, other than clutter up the Bargains forum.
People ask questions about specific titles all the time -- e.g., best price, exclusives, etc. -- so why the hostility? Geez.
Old 04-19-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
People ask questions about specific titles all the time -- e.g., best price, exclusives, etc. -- so why the hostility? Geez.
I didn't think there was much hostility at all. We're just pointing out that all of these "What's the best price on ???" posts are cluttering up the forum. If you think about it, if everyone posts a thread like that about a movie they intend to purchase in the upcoming week, those threads would overrun everything else.

The reason why you don't see many of them, is that the majority of the people do their own homework and read the threads in this forum. Think about it, if someone finds an extra-special deal for a specific title (via coupon, price mistake, combination of methods, etc) then they would post it in this forum. So do a search for your title, and if you don't get a hit, check the conventional routes (dvdpricesearch, etc).

That, coupled with the misleading title to this thread (Based on the title, I entered this thread thinking the OP had found a special deal on Planet Earth), is why people are responding the way they are.

Let's leave the bargains forum threads to bargains!

Just my 2 pennies...
Old 04-19-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildman1037
I didn't think there was much hostility at all. We're just pointing out that all of these "What's the best price on ???" posts are cluttering up the forum. If you think about it, if everyone posts a thread like that about a movie they intend to purchase in the upcoming week, those threads would overrun everything else.

The reason why you don't see many of them, is that the majority of the people do their own homework and read the threads in this forum. Think about it, if someone finds an extra-special deal for a specific title (via coupon, price mistake, combination of methods, etc) then they would post it in this forum. So do a search for your title, and if you don't get a hit, check the conventional routes (dvdpricesearch, etc).

That, coupled with the misleading title to this thread (Based on the title, I entered this thread thinking the OP had found a special deal on Planet Earth), is why people are responding the way they are.

Let's leave the bargains forum threads to bargains!

Just my 2 pennies...
That's exactly what I meant.

Originally Posted by bookcase3
wildman explained best how I feel about the "best price" threads. Talk about exclusives would probably best be suited for the main DVDTalk forum, in my opinion.
Old 04-19-07, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by DisneyDVDFAN
i would think it means Standard Dvd
ah. Thanks
Old 04-19-07, 06:20 PM
Cool New Member

Discovery Channel Store

Hi all,

I know someone in marketing for the Discovery Channel. If you want the Discovery Channel version, make sure you order it from the Discovery Channel store. The other versions are the BBC ones with a different narration.

The Discovery Channel version comes out on the 24th and it is $79.95.

Hope that helps.

-eeyoreed
Old 04-19-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
wildman explained best how I feel about the "best price" threads. Talk about exclusives would probably best be suited for the main DVDTalk forum, in my opinion.
I still feel best price threads can be useful for popular titles. Not necessarily the "What's the best price on..." but the "List all deals and coupons here." Although the last big one that I remember was King Kong. That thread was pretty good.
Old 04-19-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by eeyoreed
Hi all,

I know someone in marketing for the Discovery Channel. If you want the Discovery Channel version, make sure you order it from the Discovery Channel store. The other versions are the BBC ones with a different narration.
And supposedly more footage.