Reload this Page >

Catalogue Your Discs!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Catalogue Your Discs!

Old 04-18-07, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalogue Your Discs!

my best friend had an electrical fire start when he wasn't home, and had his house burn down. he lost everything. literally EVERYTHING except the stuff in his car and the clothes on his back.

the insurance will take care of it. most of it.

he was a huge DVD collector, and had over 500+ discs.
unfortunately, he didn't have a list, and can't provide them with all 500 titles.

catalogue your discs so in the event of an emergency, you will have a list for reimbursement.
Old 04-18-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep ALL of my DVD receipts, plus have local and online databases with the titles. Since I get most of my DVD's online at places like DVDEmpire & DVDplanet, they also have almost all my discs listed in my account history, whihc is good also.
Old 04-18-07, 05:09 PM
Banned

i didn't know dvdplanet did that. they have a retail store a few blocks away, so i usually go in, and lose reciepts. i should start shopping with them online.
Old 04-18-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So they'd accept a DVDSpot or something like that as something to refer to for insurance purposes? Glad I'm doing that already then...
Old 04-18-07, 06:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I am finally planning on cataloging my collection this Monday. Have maybe 1500 discs, arranged alphabetically now.

Plan to jot them down quickly in a notebook, then add to DVDspot as time allows.

Maybe I'll make a photocopy of that list and keep it offsite.
Old 04-18-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I am finally planning on cataloging my collection this Monday. Have maybe 1500 discs, arranged alphabetically now.

Plan to jot them down quickly in a notebook, then add to DVDspot as time allows.

If you can find slave labor, that helps. I just paid my daughter $1 and hour to enter my collection into DVDSpot (She made $6!! ). She finished last night and I finally have it in my signature.
Old 04-18-07, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor

If you have a scanner you could scan them in. If not typing the UPCs is still pretty quick, unless you are tracking your purchasing information. I think it'd be easier and quicker to skip writing them down first.
Old 04-19-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hypothetically, why couldn't your friend just make up a list of DVDs? If the DVDs are gone, how would the insurance company know?
Old 04-19-07, 12:51 AM

Yeah just give them a list of 500 average price DVDs, they don't care. That's what I did when 200 or so CDs were stolen from my car.
Old 04-19-07, 01:29 AM

I already have - just in case my puny collection catches on fire.
Old 04-19-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something I learned from our insurance agent very early on in my comic book collecting days - any collection considered larger than average should be photographed or videotaped.

I now photograph my DVD collection once a year (should be every 6 months with how often I add DVDs) and store the pics online and at work. The only thing I have yet to do (and really don't want to because of the time involved) is to make a standard text file listing of my collection. Sites like DVDSpot are great, but if the site goes down you're screwed. It's a good idea to have a backup source that isn't reliant on someone else.

I know that if something happened to my house, there is no way my homeowner's insurance would believe that I had a collection worth $45k MSRP just on my say-so.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 04-19-07 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-19-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just got renters insurance didnt think about actually taking pictures of my collection but will do that as soon as possible.
Old 04-19-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I forgot about taking pictures once in a while. Definitely a good thing to do with larger collections, in case they don't believe you and you don't have receipts.
Old 04-19-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a large CD collection (most of them were hard-to-find imports) stolen in 1995. The insurance guy said to name as many as you could remember, but all he really needed was a total value. I was reimbursed. I imagine that your friend will be fine, insurance-wise.
Old 04-19-07, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Something I learned from our insurance agent very early on in my comic book collecting days - any collection considered larger than average should be photographed or videotaped.

I now photograph my DVD collection once a year (should be every 6 months with how often I add DVDs) and store the pics online and at work. The only thing I have yet to do (and really don't want to because of the time involved) is to make a standard text file listing of my collection. Sites like DVDSpot are great, but if the site goes down you're screwed. It's a good idea to have a backup source that isn't reliant on someone else.

I know that if something happened to my house, there is no way my homeowner's insurance would believe that I had a collection worth $45k MSRP just on my say-so.
DVDSpot has an export function to csv.
Old 04-19-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
I thought Amazon had rolled out some kind of cataloging feature but I didn't explore too much and now don't remember where it is.
Old 04-19-07, 03:41 PM

I specifically had it noted in my insurance plan I own a DVD collection worth over $20,000 (MSRP). They said the same thing about photographing and documenting of what titles I own. I keep everything in DVDProfiler and also have receipts (though if the hous goes up, so do they).
Old 04-19-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon has a record of everything I've ever ordered, back to 1998.
Old 04-19-07, 03:52 PM

I just bought an 80gig portable hard drive so I could better archive all my digital photos and iPod music. We already have a list of CDs and some collectibles which are kept in (theoretically) fire-proof lock boxes. Guess a DVD lists should be next!

An opinions/preferences on what's best? DVD Spot, DVDProfiler, or DVDTracker?
Old 04-19-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like DVDspot for online and Movie Collector for local.
Old 04-19-07, 04:42 PM

For those of you with Macs, DVDpedia is awesome. You type in te title and it pulls photos and information from amazon and IMDB...and everywhere esle really. Also lets you select a title you loan out and will automatically pull the email address from MAIL and send a "you have my dvd reminder."

Also, those of you with renters insurance. My extensive record collection and dvd collection, was not even covered under renters insurance. They considered the collection excessive spending and I woudl have to carry an extra policy for teh specifics. I am in a home now...no worries on insurance. VERY GOOD idea to have photographic documentation. We went through our house with a video tape recorder.
Old 04-19-07, 08:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
If you have a scanner you could scan them in. If not typing the UPCs is still pretty quick, unless you are tracking your purchasing information. I think it'd be easier and quicker to skip writing them down first.
Good idea, but I use binders and keep all the cases off site.

And I do have some slave labor, so hopefully it won't take more than a few hours to get them in a notebook, which I will keep next to the binders for additions/subtractions.

Then I'll have fun with DVDSpot during downtime at work over the next month or three.
Old 04-19-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Digital camera pics ok?
Old 04-20-07, 12:22 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
For those of you with Macs, DVDpedia is awesome. You type in te title and it pulls photos and information from amazon and IMDB...and everywhere esle really. Also lets you select a title you loan out and will automatically pull the email address from MAIL and send a "you have my dvd reminder."
Actually, if you have a Mac I recommend Delicious Library. You'll spend waaay less time entering your DVD collection into it. All you have to do with Delicious Library is wave the DVD case in front of your computer and all the data and cover art is loaded automatically. No typing at all. Can't get any simpler than that!
Old 04-20-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BKMaggert
Actually, if you have a Mac I recommend Delicious Library. You'll spend waaay less time entering your DVD collection into it. All you have to do with Delicious Library is wave the DVD case in front of your computer and all the data and cover art is loaded automatically. No typing at all. Can't get any simpler than that!
When I first read that and before I actually checked it out, I thought you were just being a sarcastic ass.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.