Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Flaming Lips: U.F.O.s at the Zoo - The Legendary Concert in OKC - DVD - 2007-07-10

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Flaming Lips: U.F.O.s at the Zoo - The Legendary Concert in OKC - DVD - 2007-07-10

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FLAMING LIPS' FIRST-EVER LIVE DVD - COMING JULY 10

The Lips will release their first-ever live DVD - U.F.O's AT THE ZOO: THE LEGENDARY CONCERT IN OKLAHOMA CITY, on July 10th, 2007. Filmed at the Zoo Amphitheater in the band’s hometown of Oklahoma City on September 15th, 2006, the DVD captures the complete over-the-top Technicolor thrill of the Lips' first local show in several years to an absolutely manic capacity crowd of furry fanatics. You can watch a trailer for this DVD right here. And if you can't wait for the release, you can get a poster for the DVD right now at their store - flaminglips.com/store.

U.F.O’s AT THE ZOO: THE LEGENDARY CONCERT IN OKLAHOMA CITY will be released as a single disc on the new MVI format (Music Video Interactive, formerly known as the DVD album format), so it will be packaged in a slightly larger-sized jewel case and enclosed booklet. The disc will include the entire Oklahoma City concert, MP3's of the audio, digital artwork, a ringtone application, which will allow fans to make and buy their own Lips ringtones.

The URT one application will enable fans to select portions of Lips studio recordings (but not live versions) for a more personal choice of available ringtone options. Thirteen different tracks in all will be available for selection.

The ROM zone portion of the disc will contain a PDF of the art booklet, Buddy icons, photos and various digital extras that will make this the ultimate special package for fans of The Flaming Lips.

The Flaming Lips are on the road this month making select U.S. appearances. A full-scale American tour is planned for this summer. Details to be announced shortly.

The full track and segment listing for U.F.O’s AT THE ZOO: THE LEGENDARY CONCERT IN OKLAHOMA CITY is as follows:

1. “The Freaks Get Restless and Wake the Animals” (interstitial)
2. “The Mothership Descends” (interstitial)
3. “Race For the Prize”
4. “Free Radicals”
5. “Expecting Everyone’s Head to Explode” (interstitial)
6. “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots”
7. “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Part 2”
8. “Should We Free the Animals?” (interstitial)
9. “Vein of Stars”
10. “Hot Dog Eating Contest” (interstitial)
11. “The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song”
12. “The Spark That Bled”
13. “Preparing the U.F.O. Mothership” (interstitial)
14. “The W.A.N.D.”
15. “My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion”
16. “Santas and Aliens” (interstitial)
17. “She Don’t Use Jelly”
18. “Do You Realize??”
19. “How Much Red Duct Tape?” (interstitial)
20 “A Spoonful Weighs A Ton”
21. “Captain America Splits the Audience” (interstitial)
22. “Love Yer Brain”
23. “The Mothership Departs” (interstitial)
24. “The Greatest Audience in the Galaxy” (interstitial)

flaminglips.com
Old 04-18-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Concert DVD with non-concert clips stuck in between the songs = no sale.
Old 04-18-07, 07:50 AM

Yeah, that is a bit annoying, I agree.

But that show was way too good to skip out on because of a poor editing decision.

Besides, that's what the "next chapter" button is for.

Last edited by Matt; 04-18-07 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-18-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not go to to the show, but I did manage to snag the poster for the event, with art by Mr. Coyne himself.

Old 04-19-07, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Waitin' for a Superman=no sale!
Old 04-19-07, 10:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
scandelous!
Old 04-19-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
So I have to ask: Is this show "legendary" (as in, old-timers boring the hell out of you by going on and on about those halcyon days of September 2006) because it was a good concert or because the collection of props used that night was particularly exciting?

Listen, I love these guys as much as anyone, but Wayne's voice is gone and the live show attempts to make up for it with various distractions. The clip posted above is not very reassuring. The whole thing has taken on a rather Rocky Horror quality, which is another cultural phenomenon I don't get, I guess.

Oh, and no Deerhoof = no sale.
Old 04-19-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Yeah I usually bypass a DVD with 24 great songs on it because it's missing one song I like.
Old 04-20-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like they went out of the way to make a nice disc here. mp3's of all the songs. PDF of the art booklet.
Old 04-20-07, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dork
So I have to ask: Is this show "legendary" (as in, old-timers boring the hell out of you by going on and on about those halcyon days of September 2006) because it was a good concert or because the collection of props used that night was particularly exciting?
Both?

Listen, I love these guys as much as anyone, but Wayne's voice is gone and the live show attempts to make up for it with various distractions. The clip posted above is not very reassuring. The whole thing has taken on a rather Rocky Horror quality, which is another cultural phenomenon I don't get, I guess.
It's all about the overall experience. Do they use a lot of props? Yeah. U.F.O.s, balloons, confetti, aliens, Santas, etc. You might say those things are distractions, but to me those things just add to the music--they don't take anything away from it. If I wanted to hear some excellent singing, I'd find an opera to go to, not a Flaming Lips show. Wayne's never been that good of a singer in the first place. There really is nothing quite like a Lips show--nothing that I've ever been to, anyhow.

Regarding this particular show, I was there that night, and it truly was a magical evening. It was their homecoming--the first time they'd played OKC in over three years, and there were people there from all over the city, all over the state, all over the country, and I think some folks even flew in from overseas just to see this one show. The music was great, the crowd was great, the distractions were great ( ), and the energy and excitement was really something that night. I'm really glad I went, and can't wait to own the DVD.

Oh, and no Deerhoof = no sale.
Really? I don't buy a whole lot of concert DVDs, but do they usually spend any time on the opening bands? None of the ones I've got do, anyway.
Old 04-20-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Is this really the entire concert and they only played 13 songs? If so, how long was the show?
Old 04-20-07, 01:54 PM

I can't find a setlist from that night anywhere, for some reason, but looking at some of their other ones from last year, they're all right around 13-15 songs each, so that seems about right. IIRC, they played for around two hours or so. Lots of talking and theatrics in between (and, in some cases, during) songs.
Old 04-20-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Lips don't tend to play very many songs during concerts these days.
Old 08-23-07, 01:12 PM

Bumping for this week's release.

Anyone pick it up yet?
Old 08-23-07, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's a very nice disc. I made up my mind based on it to go to Charlotte (even though I knew it would not be as spectacular there), but tickets were sold out already. Oh well, I still have the DVD. I would have liked to have a little different setlist, but they did not ask me. But, some of the songs would not have transpired live as well, especially in a very high energy show, so I did not fret much.

Not to cross reference bands here, but it's like somebody else said in this thread, all the confetti, etc. are part of the show. I was reminded of the vocal prowess of KISS early last week (Ace-New York Groove). There was a reason there was so much going on. Not to compare The Flaming Lips musically to KISS, just the theatrical part. The Lips' drummer just kills it, w/ the small kit he has. The opening of The Flaming Lips DVD, which is linked above, is probably one of my favorite openings I have as far as concert DVDs go. I do like the Beastie Boy's I ...Shot This as well. Very similar. Much more than house lights, here's the band.
Old 08-23-07, 11:17 PM

I was there the night of this show and the concert was really great.

I think that anyone who is a fan should probably get this disc.

It was a great night for the Lips and a great show that they put on but I have reservations about getting this disc. I fear that it will bring up some really damaging emotions.

The show was amazing but I didn't really enjoy the night all that much. It's kind of hard to explain it but I have mixed feelings about that night.
Old 08-25-07, 01:46 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
I will most certainly be picking up this disc!

However...I must admit that Wayne has no voice anymore whatsoever!

I've gone to two of their shows of their shows in the past 2 years (one was at Red Rocks!!!) and both times that audience carried Wayne. It's sad because I love the lips and luckily their "theatrical" part of the show definetly makes up for any shortcomings musically.

I love the Flips and I will always go to their shows...but when I try and get friends to listen to them...I would never let this be their first taste of the Flaming Lips. I would instead give them a copy of "VOID"...their music video DVD (which really need to include The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song!)