Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help me identify this short story!

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping maybe some of you guys can help me find the story I'm looking for.

Back when I was in Boy Scouts I was looking through some of my father's old Boys' Life magazines that my Grandmother hadn't thrown out. Here's what I remember of the story that I read probably 16 years ago:

The story is about a boy out hiking or something who sees two bad guys commit some sort of crime (murder probably). The bad guys realize they've been seen by the boy and to escape them he runs off into a desert without food or water. The bad guys follow knowing they have to kill him. The boy realizes he's being tracked and tries various methods of escaping them. At one point he removes all his clothes and tosses them around in an attempt to make the bad guys think he's gone crazy from heat stroke. After several days, he comes across a well where he has the good sense to attempt to slow his water intake so he doesn't go into organ failure. I think that's where the story ends.

I remember the story seemed way more grown up than what you'd expect in a magazine for kids (at least magazines published when I was kid). My dad could have only been in scouts between 1958-1964 so I'm fairly certain that's the time period for the story. I've tried doing some google searches but anything with "Boys' Life" in the title returns a ton of gay videos, which doesn't really help me.

If anybody has a clue what story I'm talking about, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-18-07, 01:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the magazine but if all else fails, you could try:
http://www.boyslife.org/home/488/ask-us-anything/
Old 04-20-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good idea, but I'm afraid my letter won't get published and they won't reply to anything else. Plus I'm not a subscriber so I'd never see it anyways