DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The "What should I watch next"?" thread

DeputyDave
04-18-07, 01:42 AM
I searched and couldn't find if this has been done before. I was inspired because I often have the exact problem others reported in the "Huge collection... nothing to watch" thread.

I mean I have over 500 DVD's (95% of which I like to love) and sometimes I'm just not in the mood for any of them. But when I peruse other member's collections I say to myself... well, I'd watch that if I owned it. So now I finally have my collection online at DVDSpot (I paid my daughter a buck an hour to enter them all... she made $6) I figured it was time to get off my ass and do something about what to watch tonight.

The way this should work is to look at the person's collection posting ahead of you and pick their next movie to watch, the person posting after you does the same to yours. You can only come back if you have watched your assigned movie.

I think you should post something you would watch, something you love or have always wanted to see. Let's not be punitive and pick the crappiest movie as a joke (for instance I would rather chew tinfoil than watch 13 Going on 30 or Andre the Butcher again).

Giggles
04-18-07, 04:21 AM
Nice collection, DeputyDave! I pick the same films you do :) So when I have 500 it'd be pretty much the same.
So the choice is a tough one here. First I wanted to advise you 28 Days Later (because you obviously like horror and second - to refresh memories before 28 Weeks Later), but I finally stopped at Hard Candy, because I haven't seen it, but very much want to. But if you watched it recently or it's in your 'Andre the Butcher list' - then it's 28 Days Later.

And here's mine: http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=oneiros

DeputyDave
04-18-07, 05:42 PM
I guess I'll post again before this thread dies a cruel death. You know, Giggles, when you picked Hard Candy I was a bit disappointed. I just wasn't in the mood to watch it, but in the spirit of the thread I sat down and muscled my way through. Man, I forgot how much I liked that movie. I haven't seen it since it was first released on DVD and I think I like it much better the second time around.

As for you, great collection. It looks a lot like mine in several spots 6 or 7 DVDs in a row. Not a big fan of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, are you? (did I actually count 20 different versions of the 1974 original?).

My pick is one I instantly wanted to watch again (and will tonight) "Man Bites Dog", but since you gave me an "out", I also pick "Creep".

Giggles
04-18-07, 06:25 PM
DeputyDave, I'm glad you had some pleasant emotions watching Hard Candy, your words inspire me even more to watch it sooner :)
Thanks for an "out" - Man Bites Dog is a great film, but it's 2 AM here already, and I'd like to watch something less serious before going to bed, so it'll be Creep. But it's a good thing you reminded me about MBD - I'll definately watch it this weekend.
Btw - yes, I have almost twice more editions of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (if you're interested check "What DVD Titles Have You "Dipped" On The Most (Other Than Evil Dead Series) ?" thread). It's just that dvdaficionado doesn't have them all in their database yet :)
So when I'm done with Creep and if no one else posts I'll come back not to let the thread die a cruel death.

Giggles
04-20-07, 06:20 AM
Hi again, Dave! Since no one else is yet participating I suggest to watch the films proposed when some spare time is available to leave some space for new releases also :)
Creep was as nice as for the first time. And it still gave me creeps at some moments. Truly ominous.
As for your next move when you you got some free time I propose The Way of the Gun or as a traditional substitute - Straw Dogs...

DeputyDave
04-21-07, 06:01 AM
Hey, I guess we're playing alone. I just finished Way of the Gun. Another movie I haven't seen since I bought it. I forgot how good it was. It went over great after just seeing Hot Fuzz tonight. What's funny is that I was planning on watching Straw Dogs after Way of the Gun because it was mentioned seceral times in Hot Fuzz. I forgot you picked it till just now.

Anyway, Devil's Advocate because I watched it last night and as an out: People Under the Stairs because I haven't seen that in about 15 years and I really want to see it again.

Giggles
04-22-07, 02:37 PM
Interesting coincidences, Dave... I also watched People Under the Stairs about 15 y.a. I've been missing this film a lot so recently I bought it and watched just 2 weeks ago! And Devil's Advocate is one of my all time favourites, I rewatch it rather often, and this time I did it again with pleasure :)
So today I got for you Cemetery Man and Ravenous. Two of my favourites - each deserves a separate obligatory run, but browsing through your collection and having noticed them I couldn't resist to put both titles here.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=oneiros

ESG927
04-22-07, 03:54 PM
My vote is for Big Fish. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this movie and even bought a copy of it for my brother later. I think it tells a great story and that's always important to me; I can't stand a poor written plot line. By the time the final scene came around, I was "ohhhhh, I get it."

DeputyDave
08-22-07, 09:33 PM
Damnit! and here I thought this thread was such a good idea. I'm bringing it back from the dead because it needs to be given a chance. I can't vote for ESG927 because of no online collection.

Anyway, here I am tonight with a six pack of Bass, no kids, no wife, and not enough money for a hooker. Please don't leave me hanging.

DarthVong
08-22-07, 09:39 PM
watch Maniac Cop with Bruce Campbell commentary

TomOpus
08-22-07, 09:42 PM
What, you're not cheering our Padres on as they spank the Mets?

Ok, with the wife and kids gone, it's time to pull out the big guns. Something your wife would despise and your kids can't watch.

Miike, August Underground, I Spit On Your Grave...

DeputyDave
08-22-07, 09:58 PM
What, you're not cheering our Padres on as they spank the Mets?

Ok, with the wife and kids gone, it's time to pull out the big guns. Something your wife would despise and your kids can't watch.

Miike, August Underground, I Spit On Your Grave...I'm not a big Baseball fan, if the Padres make it to the post season I'll tune in. Anyway what are you doing on line?

FYI you should be picking for DarthVong, I'm busy firing up Maniac Cop.

TomOpus
08-22-07, 10:15 PM
I'm not a big Baseball fan, if the Padres make it to the post season I'll tune in. Anyway what are you doing on line?

FYI you should be picking for DarthVong, I'm busy firing up Maniac Cop. I always like watching sports and surfin' da net at the same time. Anywho, hope you enjoyed the show.

Go Bolts! :)

Giggles
08-23-07, 05:16 AM
Hey, Dave, I'm glad you reanimated this old thread :) Hope I'll join in again one of these days.

iconoclasm
08-25-07, 06:46 PM
Off topic, giggles is it true the rambo films were super popular in the USSR when the iron curtain was in tact(approx 25 years ago)?

rambo was the sylvester stallone character who was like the terminator, but he only killed the USSR army.

Giggles
08-26-07, 05:08 PM
Off topic, giggles is it true the rambo films were super popular in the USSR when the iron curtain was in tact(approx 25 years ago)?Yep. Mostly, I think, because Rambo films were banned here and Soviet authorities always described them as anti-Soviet imperialistic propaganda hence instigated great interest towards the series. Few have seen the movies, even critics who were bashing them in the papers and telling Soviet people how western predatory governments were trying to corrupt our citizens. So everyone knew about these "horrible" flicks, but couldn't see it. Those who illegally were buying VHS abroad could see there's nothing particularly anti-Soviet there especially in the first part, but since Rambo was so much talked about it became quite popular and somewhat a cult, although - I repeat - most of the people didn't have a chance to watch it untill early 90s.

John S.
08-27-07, 03:12 PM
Here are some choices;

Braindead (1992)
Hellraiser: Inferno (2000) [Best DTV Hellraiser]
Ghost Ship (2000)
or
The Others (2001)

Nice collection, BTW.

Mine: http://johnny-s.dvdaf.com/owned

Nesbit
08-27-07, 03:38 PM
Braindead

toddly6666
08-27-07, 04:49 PM
This is becoming the creepiest forum thread I've read yet...