Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wii - When will we get the Obvious ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-07, 03:06 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A proper Star Wars game where you can use the Wii controller exactly like a light sabre !

If that won't increase sales, i don't know what will !
Old 04-16-07, 04:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does not look like Lucasarts wants to support the Wii. Their "huge" game The Force Unleashed is coming to Xbox360, PS3, and even the archaic PS2, but there is no Wii version.
Old 04-16-07, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...and increasing sales isn't really an issue right now.

Frankly, I'd just as soon they waited until developers master the responsiveness of the Wii remote before attempting 1:1 sword movement.

Meanwhile, there's a TV game with a packed in light saber that seems to do the trick.
Old 04-16-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taffer
It does not look like Lucasarts wants to support the Wii. Their "huge" game The Force Unleashed is coming to Xbox360, PS3, and even the archaic PS2, but there is no Wii version.
I'm sure they'll be changing their tune like all the other third-party developers who are scrambling to get a piece of the Wii.
Old 04-16-07, 07:15 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Then we can all look like George-Michael Bluth.
Old 04-16-07, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flay
Then we can all look like George-Michael Bluth.
I was thinking more along the lines of Star Wars Kid.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPPj6viIBmU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPPj6viIBmU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 04-16-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trust your feelings.

LucasArts simply MUST be working on a game as we speak. If there's anything that company knows it's moichendizing [/Yogurt]. They know the system and the fans scream for it even if there's no possible way to have force (cool!) feedback when your saber strikes another.

You know it to be true.
Old 04-16-07, 08:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
For me, the "obvious" is: when will this console be on the shelves?
Old 04-16-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard that you can hack Wii and use it as light saber on PC.
Old 04-16-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts
I keep thinking that, in the meantime, they should release the newer Star Wars Arcade game - the one that actually had lightsaber fighting in it. I think the Wii could handle the game, it would be fun with the Wii controller and they could sell it for $30 since it's not that long.

I think that would be a big seller.
Old 04-16-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I keep thinking that, in the meantime, they should release the newer Star Wars Arcade game - the one that actually had lightsaber fighting in it. I think the Wii could handle the game, it would be fun with the Wii controller and they could sell it for $30 since it's not that long.

I think that would be a big seller.
It also wouldn't be considered a port since it didn't appear on any other home console, correct?

Sounds like a decent idea to me.
Old 04-16-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was thinking more along the lines of Star Wars Kid.
George-Michael Bluth on Arrested Development had a video that was a direct spoof/homage to Star Wars kid...so you're both thinking of the same thing! (AD rules all though). I would love to see a kick ass Star Wars game for Wii and really hope Lucasarts get their act together to make something spectacular... but The Force Unleashed for 360 will hold me over until then (looks AMAZING).
Old 04-16-07, 10:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's actually not entirely accurate. In the issue of GI which had a huge cover story on TFU, they did mention that they're considering it for the Wii, but it will not be the "use the wiimote as a lightsaber" game that IS being worked on. So Lucasarts IS working on the game the OP was asking about, and is still considering making TFU for the Wii. However, if TFU doesn't come to the Wii, it's because they're already working on a Star Wars game for the console.
Old 04-16-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It also wouldn't be considered a port since it didn't appear on any other home console, correct?
Correct - which I always thought was strange, since it's a fun game (very arcade-y though).

Sounds like a decent idea to me.
I thought so
Old 04-16-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if TFU was delayed so that they could go back and make a Wii port for it, after seeing how successful the system has been so far.
Old 04-16-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
I wonder if TFU was delayed so that they could go back and make a Wii port for it, after seeing how successful the system has been so far.
Actually I read somewhere that they aren't satisfied with the PS3 install base yet and don't want separate releases for each console. So they are holding it until next year when more people will have joined the Playstation fold.

I also remember reading what Suprmallet is referring to which alluded to a Wii game already in the works separate TFU.
Old 04-16-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's sort of strange though TFU has been announced for just about everything BUT the Wii:

360, PS3, PS2, DS, and PSP. What the heck?
Old 04-16-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Actually I read somewhere that they aren't satisfied with the PS3 install base yet and don't want separate releases for each console. So they are holding it until next year when more people will have joined the Playstation fold.
If anything the number of PS3 games available will be even larger the longer they wait, so their penetration is still going to be affected by delaying. Yeesh...
Old 04-17-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Of course they are working on Wii stuff. The real question is when do they figure out that they should sell Wii controllers in the shape of classic lightsabers, if they havn't thought of it already ....
Old 04-17-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't EGM say a while back that they were working on a light saber game?
Old 04-17-07, 03:27 PM
Retired

As I've posted before on this topic, I lost some interest after getting the Wii and realizing that real 1:1 motions don't seem possible. By 1:1 I mean the light saber swing we exactly follow the timing, speed, angle etc. of your swing of the Wiimote.

Looks like the best we'll get is something like Zelda or Red Steel where you control a generic set of sword swings by swinging the remote. Would still be fun, but less exciting than 1:1 control.
Old 04-17-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
The bat in WiiSports seems sort of 1:1, but obviously it is also a bit off. I just don't think it is possible to have 1:1 without more sensors, and better detection. I do have high hopes for subsequent generations that it will be more of a possibility. Hopefully it's not that far off.
Old 04-17-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
For me, the "obvious" is: when will this console be on the shelves?
November 2006!
Old 04-17-07, 06:22 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
The bat in WiiSports seems sort of 1:1, but obviously it is also a bit off. I just don't think it is possible to have 1:1 without more sensors, and better detection. I do have high hopes for subsequent generations that it will be more of a possibility. Hopefully it's not that far off.

1:1 would mean the height and angle of your swing would be mirrored along with timing and power.

But you're right in that it will require more or better sensors, gyroscopes and/or accelerometers to accomplish true 1:1 control.

Hopefully the Wii2!

I just hope I get more into the motion controls on the current Wii.