Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do you think comics are still looked down upon?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly think that most of the people who say they are for "geeks" are people who've never read one. But it seems as if the "stigma" has grown worse over the last decade? Why?
Old 04-15-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two reasons:

1. The speculator crash. People are now sitting on hundreds of thousands of useless comics.

2. I think our culture as a whole has become much more macho-oriented and braindead. Look at how pro wrestling dominates the mainstream now.
Old 04-15-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I think its the opposite. I think in the last 10 years, comics, or at least the characters, have become more mainstream. Just look at the success of the movies/TV like Spider-man, X-men, 300, Heroes, etc.

Penetrating into other media is a win win. Several of my friends started reading my comics, who never have before, after enjoying the movies

I think the success of trades is going to help also, since most outside the medium prefer "graphic novels" over floppies.

And wrestling isnt that big anymore, its all MMA now
Old 04-15-07, 07:03 PM

Being a former comic book collector, I still believe comics can one day regain its popularity, but only if two things happen.

First and foremost, prices have to come down drastically so that younger kids can afford to collect it. Being a collector back in the days when comics used to cost about a quarter, making it as much an impulse buy as a pack of gum or candy back in those days when I was a kid, comic books were very affordable. I haven't been to a comic store in years, but I'm guessing the average comic book probably runs around $2 to $3 per issue (if not more)which is way more than many in the younger crowd can afford, short of teenagers in their late teens and adults who actually work. Forget about comics being anything close to an impluse buy. If it means comic book companies returning to using cheaper paper on certain titles, so be it. I think building up a big fanbase, especially one that include younger kids who comics should especially appeal to, is vital to the comic book industry. Get them while they're young and they could be lifelong collectors.

Second, comics just don't seem fun to read anymore. Stories are way darker than those of my day, appealing mostly to an older crowd. They also don't have much going on, usually lacking much in action, and we just get full-page spreads of heroes doing poses (although beautifully drawn) than anything relevant happening on practically every page. I'm not saying that comics back in my day (70s and 80s) were sophisticated in any way. Stories were often simplistic, as was the dialogue, but they were fun to read and they had plenty of action. And more importantly, I always looked forward to the next issue.

Collecting comics when the zenith of art and storytelling in those days were John Byrne/Chris Claremont's X-Men and Frank Miller's Daredevil, I don't think comics have improved since then. That's only my opinion, and I'm sure many of the current collectors may disagree.

I also agree that with so many superhero movies coming out nowadays with Hollywood knowing comic books are great source material for movies, comic book characters will always have appeal. Now if only the comic book companies can get back to increasing readership, comic books can be as popular as they once were.
Old 04-15-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Even as comic properties become more mainstream, there is still very much a distinction between watching a superhero movie and actually reading the comic the character is based upon.

Reading in general (sadly) is no longer something kids want to do today with so many other stimuli around.

There were always be a point, probably around the age of junior high or high school, where reading comics will get you labeled as a geek.
Old 04-16-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think comics still have the same social stigma that animation of any kind does. It really doesn't matter how well it's written or how adult themed it is, society still looks down on it like it's only meant for children.

And I think the "Bam!!" of the '60's Batman series is still felt to this day. I've seen plenty of news reports that make reference to that series whenever any kind of comic book story is being presented. That hardly helps either.
Old 04-16-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
60's Tv Batman both helped and hurt the comic fan. Sure it helped in that it brought heroes into the Mainstream. But even when Batman 89 came out, I cant tell you how many people I knew who were moaning about how it was too dark and how they should've made it like the Tv show which was total camp and goofiness. Like Chew said, that stigma has not gone away in the minds of non-comic folks.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-16-07 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 08:20 AM

Because about 90% of all comics are superhero comics. If 90% of all novels were trashy romance novels, you'd look down on them too.
Old 04-16-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some good points here. My two cents which may repeat some of what has already been written:

Print is a dying art form altogether. Newspapers are having a hard time finding young readers. I think that young people still enjoy the concept of the superhero but aren't going to shell out $12 to 18 to read a story. Seriously, today I can go into Best Buy and buy X-Men Legends for $20, get hours of gameplay as my favorite mutant, or buy six comic books or a TPB which I'll read in about an hour. On a good week I can spend those same $20 on two DVDs, and I can spend hours watching them. The economics, plus the format are two big issues with comic books today.

Second, the Big Two have made it all but impossible to get into comic books. With giant crossovers, and a boatload of titles, you can't just start reading comic books. When I started reading comics in the 80s there were three X titles. Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor and New Mutants. I could pick up all three any given month for less than $3. At that point, I knew everything that was going on in Marvel's mutant world. How many titles (and more importantly how much would it cost) would I have to pick up today for that to be the case? I honestly don't know as I've given up on the X titles all together for this reason.
Old 04-16-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chamber715
Because about 90% of all comics are superhero comics. If 90% of all novels were trashy romance novels, you'd look down on them too.
Correct.

I used to read comic book when I was teenager, but around 16-17 I lost interest and really haven't read any since then. Comic book are primarily superhero comics, and superhero comics are primarily written and drawn for a teenage boy audience. If you need evidence, just look at the way female characters are drawn as grotesque objects of sexual fantasy- 2 inch waists, 22 inch legs, and 34DD breasts in clothes that are nothing more than painted nudity.

Aside from that, their convoluted plotting, insistence on continuity over story, and a general immaturity of most of the people (men) writing, drawing, and running them, it's no wonder comic books aren't taken seriously.
Old 04-16-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

Aside from that, their convoluted plotting, insistence on continuity over story, and a general immaturity of most of the people (men) writing, drawing, and running them, it's no wonder comic books aren't taken seriously.
*see Manga

Which starts a whole new debate, since its accepted in Japanese culture...
Old 04-16-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
I read comics from about 1980 until recently. I've lost interest over the last few years.

Last week I went to the comic shop, and pretty much everything there looked stupid. I opened a few titles for a closer look. The layouts were dull, the art was formulaic, and the stories were like soap operas (everything was terribly important, and the plot didn't advance more than a millimeter).

Bland comics aren't new. But there was a period when people tried harder, and people believed that they could improve comic books. But right now, they're making comics 70s- or 50s-style. They have a low opinion of their audience, and they're looking for the easy dollars, and it shows.

If the people behind comics don't believe in them, why should anyone else?
Old 04-16-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this thread is showing that there isn't one thing that's holding comics down, but rather a collection of many things. When you add the fact that they cost so much compared to other pasttimes with the fact that fewer people read these days, you have a deadly combination.

But even if that wasn't the case, comics would still be held in low regard because not enough people are attempting to show what comics can be. There's nothing to drive a middle aged woman or a teenaged girl to read these books because when they walk into the graphic novel section at B&N, all there is is superhero and manga. And let's face it, that can be overwhelming even for seasoned readers.

Comics need to diversify. Make some drama or romance or comedy, and put those books with the other dramas and romances and comedies on the shelf. Put out some really good stories and get them noticed in papers and magazines. Get a buzz going.

It's going to be a long process, and we're already so much further then we were a few years ago. It won't be long and comics will be held in much higher esteem. We just have to give it time, and support good books, not just the ones we've been reading for 20 years.
Old 04-16-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
A lot of people still don't realize that comic books is not a genre, but a form of entertainment with a full range of genres. Part of it is because of where a large portion of the books are focused and part because of the image the industry has put forth.
Old 04-16-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Correct.

I used to read comic book when I was teenager, but around 16-17 I lost interest and really haven't read any since then. Comic book are primarily superhero comics, and superhero comics are primarily written and drawn for a teenage boy audience. If you need evidence, just look at the way female characters are drawn as grotesque objects of sexual fantasy- 2 inch waists, 22 inch legs, and 34DD breasts in clothes that are nothing more than painted nudity.
Wait, the male character are drawn in the same way, and there are a lot more of them...

Look at the Comic Book Guy on Simpsons... an exaggeration, to be sure, but sometimes shockingly close to people we know. That's the general perception of comics, and really the obsessive compulsive collector's mentality, the insane prices we pay for collections that largely sit unread in boxes for years, the fanboy factor... the other day, by wife and I were having dinner with another couple when she mentioned that I liked collecting comics and watching anime, and I cringed because that's so socially unacceptable.

I love sports too (huge USC fan, for example) and it sometimes amazes me how acceptable it is to go all out for a sports team and know all kinds of stats and such, but that's not "geeky," at least not among most guys.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-16-07 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many, many valid points in this thread.

I'll add that there aren't as many new readers as there once were because comics are pretty hard to find outside of specialty shops. Sure, some of the main titles can be found at Borders and other book chains, but I remember in the early- to mid-'80s finding new DC/Marvel titles on the racks at the corner market or the military base convenience store. An 11-year old riding his skateboard to 7-11 to grab a drink and snack isn't going to find a huge rack of affordable titles to sample.

And regarding the cost of comics, I ALMOST picked up a few titles for the first time in years the other day while at Borders but my jaw nearly hit the floor when I added up the cost. Realized I could buy a $14 novel or $9.99 trade (for Fables, Vol. 1) for the price of about three or four comics. Ridiculous.
Old 04-16-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, the male character are drawn in the same way, and there are a lot more of them...
There is no comparion between the way men and women are customarily drawn in superhero comics. Men are overly muscled with prominent crotch bulges, but that is a projection of teenage male body idolization, not sexualization. Plus, they usually have a lot more clothes on.
Old 04-16-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it doesnt make sense. Movies about comic book characters are big cash cows.
Old 04-16-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
There is no comparion between the way men and women are customarily drawn in superhero comics. Men are overly muscled with prominent crotch bulges, but that is a projection of teenage male body idolization, not sexualization. Plus, they usually have a lot more clothes on.
You mean to tell me women don't see that as a sex symbol? And Namor never wore that much. Just as an exception to the many, though.
Old 04-16-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
it doesnt make sense. Movies about comic book characters are big cash cows.
But Star Wars and LOTR movies are big cash cows, but diehard fans are looked at as geeks. I think it's just that superheroes are suited for blockbuster action movies.

About the men and woman clothes thing... the original post said that they had costumes that were little more than painted nudity. That's exactly what the male costumes are like. Not saying that woman aren't objectified by a lot of comic art (I mean, anyone can tell that flipping through the middle of Previews), just that the male costumes are pretty bare too. Original robin, anyone?

As far as manga goes... i do think the reason that manga is so much more popular in Japan is because the genre is so diverse... which is also the reason why so many young adults who wouldn't be caught dead in a comic book store are picking up manga in bookstores.
Old 04-16-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by exharrison
You mean to tell me women don't see that as a sex symbol? And Namor never wore that much. Just as an exception to the many, though.
They may. It's still not the same. You need to look at superhero comics aimed at a gay male audience to see the male version of comic book female objectification.

Plus, no one has ever found Namor hot. No one. Ever.
Old 04-16-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They may. It's still not the same. You need to look at superhero comics aimed at a gay male audience to see the male version of comic book female objectification.

Plus, no one has ever found Namor hot. No one. Ever.
Besides sue?
Old 04-16-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
About the men and woman clothes thing... the original post said that they had costumes that were little more than painted nudity. That's exactly what the male costumes are like. Not saying that woman aren't objectified by a lot of comic art (I mean, anyone can tell that flipping through the middle of Previews), just that the male costumes are pretty bare too. Original robin, anyone?
No, it's not the same. At all.

Imagine if Superman's costume had little nipple holes and his dick was drawn to be 2 feet long, with a bulge to match. Then you'd be getting closer.
Old 04-16-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You really don't see any difference? Come on.
Old 04-16-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm with Tracer. Let's face it, for the most part, superhero comics, which dominate the comic landscape, are fantasies for men. Or at least males. Think about it. Young boys want to grow up to save the day like Superman. They want to fight bad guys and be a big hero like Superman. They want to be surrounded by hot women in skimpy clothing like Superman.

I don't think this is the biggest reason that comics are still looked down upon, but it's certainly a big factor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.