Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Blonde Redhead - 23 (and where to go from here?)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up Blonde Redhead - 23 this week after reading a good review of the album at stylus magazine and hearing some songs on their myspace page. I'm really enjoying this disc and have picked up "Misery is a Butterfly", their 2004 album, which is the only other album by them that I could find in stock locally.

I remember seeing a few videos for their music on MTV's 120 Minutes in the nineties and being interested in hearing more - but apparently not interested enough to actually buy their CDs back then. So now, with 23, they've finally got my attention. What CDs are the must own discs from their earlier stuff?
Old 04-14-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought their latest CD, but only because my sister is a big fan of them. I went with my sister, and played it in my car. She said this album sounds different than their earlier stuff.

However, if you purchased Misery is a Butterfly -- which my sister said she liked a lot (not sure if it was her favorite -- then you probably just like all facets and sounds of Blonde Redhead.

Look up Amazon, I'll bet you they have a bunch other albums available as well. Their reviews are helpful, also.
Old 04-14-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, and one more thing. For those who are curious, it's only $7.99 at Best Buy. Today is the last day of the sale, unless they extend for next week (doubt it, though).
Old 04-14-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love all their work, but think they really came into their own with Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons. It's an amazing cd that really marked their growth as a band. I would suggest checking that one out next.
Old 04-15-07, 05:39 AM

Just buy their albums in reverse order until you get to one you don't like.
Personally, I like them all but I have been listening to them since the beginning.

They started out as a sonic youth clone and eventually turned into what you hear today.
If you start from their first album and go to their current you can actually hear how they changed.
Old 04-15-07, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by fender69
Just buy their albums in reverse order until you get to one you don't like.
Personally, I like them all but I have been listening to them since the beginning.

They started out as a sonic youth clone and eventually turned into what you hear today.
If you start from their first album and go to their current you can actually hear how they changed.
I'm a big Blonde Redhead fan and have enjoyed their evolution. The above post is exactly what I tell people just starting to get into them now.
Old 04-16-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone
I love all their work, but think they really came into their own with Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons. It's an amazing cd that really marked their growth as a band. I would suggest checking that one out next.
second.
Old 05-04-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm really digging this album. it's a lot more melodic and mellow than their previous albums.
-ringding-
Old 05-04-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They are a weird band. It seems a lot of people that discovered them over the past few years dont like the early stuff; whereas, folks (myself included) who heard them from the start like the earlier, bratty, abrasive, alt tune albums.

They really do, seem to have a bipolar career in terms of sound, with "Melody..." being the obvious transition point.