DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HELLBOY: Blood & Iron [Animated] -6/12/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
HELLBOY: Blood & Iron [Animated] -6/12/07

Hellboy: Blood & Iron

Anchor Bay Home Entertainment has announced Hellboy: Blood & Iron for release on June 12th. This second installment in the animated "Hellboy" series, from Creative Producers Guillermo Del Toro and Mike Mignola, arrives with a 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 EX & 2.0 tracks. Bonus materials include an audio commentary featuring Mike Mignola, Tad Stones and Vic Vook, "Blood & Iron Alternate Crappy Ending: The Iron Shoes - The Animated Debut," "Reversal of Fortune: Professor Broom's Story," the exclusive e-comic "Pennangalan" from Mike Mignola and bonus previews. Retail is $19.98.

DAVISDVD.com
Old 04-14-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any idea how many animated movie will be out?
Old 04-14-07, 10:11 AM

DDD has this up for pre-order for $8.03
Old 06-06-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy has an exclusive for this DVD release, which includes a 6.5 inch tall Hellboy Animated figure, from Gentle Giant.

I am definitely going for that one if it looks as good close-up as it does in those pics. I have the 18 inch battle-damaged comic book Hellboy from Mezco, and that thing is friggin' awesome.
Old 06-06-07, 04:29 PM

Anyone know if Wal-Mart will have a comic book exclusive again?
Old 06-12-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up the Best Buy exclusive with the Gentle Giant produced figure today.

My local Best Buy didn't have any copies of Blood and Iron out on the floor at all (regular or exclusive). They indicated that they had some problem receiving them and when the guy went in back to check he only came out with two. Not sure if the exclusive is available in greater quantities at other stores.

The packaging is quite bulky. Basically, it's a clamshell with the figure inside and the dvd (minus the slipcover) attached to the back, with a paper band around them both advertising the bonus figure, all shrinkwrapped together. The length and width of the clamshell matches the length and width of the dvd case, and the depth of it is about 5 inches or so. My guess would be due to the size of this packaging most stores wouldn't have received very many copies, so this exclusive may be more limited than other BB exclusives (?)

The sculpt of the figure is very nice and there weren't really any paint issues to note. It is about 6.5 inches tall (whatever the specs say online). The animated style that is its basis suits it quite well and so even though it has articulation it will look very nice displayed as a statue piece (especially with the included base). One minor difference to note, however. In the pictures online and even on the paper band that wraps around the clamshell and the dvd the Hellboy figure has a grimace and no cigar in his mouth, but the figure itself has him chomping on a cigar in the corner of his mouth. IMO it is better than just the grimace. In addition to the base, he comes with his Samaritan (in holster) and an extra left hand (for holding the Samaritan) and a clenched and unclenched Right Hands of Doom. Not bad for the $22.99 (CAD) they were charging.

Last edited by Yavin; 06-12-07 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
Anyone know if Wal-Mart will have a comic book exclusive again?
Yes...Wal-Mart has the comic book exclusive again...Volume 2 of the Hellboy Animated Comic (The Judgment Bell)
Old 06-12-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
I picked up the Best Buy exclusive with the Gentle Giant produced figure today.

My local Best Buy didn't have any copies of Blood and Iron out on the floor at all (regular or exclusive). They indicated that they had some problem receiving them and when the guy went in back to check he only came out with two. Not sure if the exclusive is available in greater quantities at other stores.

The packaging is quite bulky. Basically, it's a clamshell with the figure inside and the dvd (minus the slipcover) attached to the back, with a paper band around them both advertising the bonus figure, all shrinkwrapped together. The length and width of the clamshell matches the length and width of the dvd case, and the depth of it is about 5 inches or so. My guess would be due to the size of this packaging most stores wouldn't have received very many copies, so this exclusive may be more limited than other BB exclusives (?)

The sculpt of the figure is very nice and there weren't really any paint issues to note. It is about 6.5 inches tall (whatever the specs say online). The animated style that is its basis suits it quite well and so even though it has articulation it will look very nice displayed as a statue piece (especially with the included base). One minor difference to note, however. In the pictures online and even on the paper band that wraps around the clamshell and the dvd the Hellboy figure has a grimace and no cigar in his mouth, but the figure itself has him chomping on a cigar in the corner of his mouth. IMO it is better than just the grimace. In addition to the base, he comes with his Samartian (in holster) and extra left and right (stone) hands. Not bad for the $22.99 (CAD) they were charging.
I got a copy of the set myself. I only saw 3 on the shelf by the new releases and did not bother to look in the actual aisle.
Old 06-12-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Dave
I got a copy of the set myself. I only saw 3 on the shelf by the new releases and did not bother to look in the actual aisle.
Based on what I'm reading on some other forums, it looks like this exclusive set is going to be more limited than usual. Only 10,000 were made, and this Best Buy set is the only way to get the cigar-chomping variant head, apparently, as when the figure is released to retail later this year it will only have the regular head pictured online and on the packaging (sans cigar). From what I read, all stores should have a minimum of 5 of these sets.
Old 06-12-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by LKirven517
Yes...Wal-Mart has the comic book exclusive again...Volume 2 of the Hellboy Animated Comic (The Judgment Bell)
Does Wal-Mart definitely have an exclusive on the comic book this time around.
I know they didn't last time.
Just want to be sure before I purchase in online.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 06-12-07, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
Does Wal-Mart definitely have an exclusive on the comic book this time around.
I know they didn't last time.
Just want to be sure before I purchase in online.
Thanks for the confirmation!
I was under the impression that Wal-Mart/Sam's had an exclusive on the comic the first time (Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding)

...as far as I know it is considered exclusive to them
Old 06-12-07, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Based on what I'm reading on some other forums, it looks like this exclusive set is going to be more limited than usual. Only 10,000 were made, and this Best Buy set is the only way to get the cigar-chomping variant head, apparently, as when the figure is released to retail later this year it will only have the regular head pictured online and on the packaging (sans cigar). From what I read, all stores should have a minimum of 5 of these sets.

It's a very cool toy, just picked one up. There was about 10 left at the Culver City Best Buy when I was there around 11am
Old 06-12-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by LKirven517
I was under the impression that Wal-Mart/Sam's had an exclusive on the comic the first time (Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding)

...as far as I know it is considered exclusive to them
Perhaps they included a second comic, but every one of the copies of Sword of Storms included a 32-page comic.
Can't remember it's name at the moment though.
http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-Storms...1675515&sr=1-3
Old 06-12-07, 02:57 PM

Perhaps they included a second comic, but every one of the copies of Sword of Storms included a 32-page comic.
Yes, WalMart did have a second exclusive comic (completely different from the comic that came with the DVD) : Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding.
It was actually a mini graphic novel which came in it's own box. It was shrinkwrapped together with the DVD.
Old 06-12-07, 03:04 PM

Every copy of Sword of Storms came with the comic "Phantom Limbs"

Every copy of Blood & Iron comes with the comic "The Yearning"

(neither of these are exclusive to any store...just exclusive to the DVD itself)

Sword of Storms copies at WM/Sam's were exclusively packaged with "Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding Graphic Novel"

Blood & Iron copies at WM/Sam's are exclusively packaged with "Hellboy Animated Volume 2: Judgment Bell Graphic Novel"

In comic stores the novels are $6.95 each

Links to the novels
The Black Wedding
Judgment Bell

Last edited by LKirven517; 06-12-07 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 03:20 PM

Ther was only one dvd w/ figure on the shelves at my best buy. i looked around, didnt see any in the new release section...
Old 06-12-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
So....If I liked "Sword Of Storms" will I like this?
Old 06-12-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so the BestBuy exclusive is in different packaging than the Sword of Storms BestBuy exclusive?

can someone just post some pix of the set,iam interested.
Old 06-12-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
so the BestBuy exclusive is in different packaging than the Sword of Storms BestBuy exclusive?

can someone just post some pix of the set,iam interested.
Here you go:

Old 06-12-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

eh...what type of packaging is that? it's not shelf friendly,is it? plus, is it true that it doesn't have a slipcover like Yavin said? the first hellboy bestbuy exclusive had a slipcover.

thanks for the pic man but it would be cool if you post more pix so we can see clearly what type of packaging it's..
Old 06-12-07, 06:11 PM

Originally LKirven517
Thanks for the response. I found out yesterday, but I forgot to post it in this thread.
Old 06-12-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
eh...what type of packaging is that? it's not shelf friendly,is it? plus, is it true that it doesn't have a slipcover like Yavin said? the first hellboy bestbuy exclusive had a slipcover.

thanks for the pic man but it would be cool if you post more pix so we can see clearly what type of packaging it's..
No slipcover. Think of like an action figure bubble with a DVD on the back of it, shrink-wrapped together. It's not really meant to be kept together forever and ever.

Old 06-12-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the awesome pics!
Old 06-12-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this is the best exclusive figurine I've ever picked up as a freebie. Honestly, I was expecting this to be about the same size as the previous hellboy exclusive but was I proven wrong! I would definitely pick this up if you are on the fence because it seems like most BBs only got about 4 or 5 of these.
Old 06-12-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no slipcover+crappy packaging=off to the R2UK exclusives land i go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.