Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fracture (Gosling, Hopkins, 2007) Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plot Outline: An assistant DA (Gosling) is caught up in a game of cat-and-mouse with a man (Hopkins) who tried to murder his wife and is set free on a series of technicalities

Caught a preview screening tonight.

The performances were great and the whole movie was engrossing. When I walked out I was disappointed though. It is a movie I probably wont remember in even a couple weeks and I have already stopped thinking about it with just 5 hours out of the movie. Not much is truly memorable. Gosling does a great job as a lawyer and there are many funny parts both from Gosling and Hopkins. The "twist" felt like it could have been alot more. When the movie ends does just that, there is nothing more to it. If I paid to go see it I wouldn't have been disappointed, just not thrilled. I'd give it a B- or 3/5
Old 04-13-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This looks interesting. I'll be checking it out.
Old 04-13-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be at this one for sure, I just wish the trailer didn't give away so much. I hope there's more interesting stuff than what we've already seen.
Old 04-13-07, 05:32 PM

I caught a preview last night as well. I too found the entire movie interesting and engaging. Sir Anthony is always a pleasure to watch especially in a role like this. Almost Lecter-like at times. Too bad he didn't get more screen time.

Originally Posted by Jordan Raup
The "twist" felt like it could have been alot more.
I think that was why it was so effective. I left the theater feeling stupid because I didn't figure it out!

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I'll be at this one for sure, I just wish the trailer didn't give away so much.
Not at all really. What you see in the trailer is the hook. The rest of the movie deals with trying to solve the mystery.

I'll give it a B+ maybe A-

Last edited by Indy Jones Fan; 04-14-07 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-13-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to this - it's one of the few theatrical trailers from the past few trips to the movies that caught my attention.
Old 04-13-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Not at all really. What you see in the trailer is the hook. The rest of the movie deals with trying to solve the mystery.

I'll give it a B+ maybe A-
Good deal. I'm much more excited to see this now, bumped up to opening weekend status for me.
Old 04-19-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought it was good also. I wouldn't really call the big reveal a twist as it is something that can be figured out if you think about it. We figured it out:
Spoiler:
when the prosecuter was trying to wonder why Hopkins went into the hotel room. There is really no other plausible reason for him to go in there. We had already been wondering about a gun switch in the beginning at the murder scene and realized that it had to be the second switch.

Good performances all around although I didn't really see "many funny parts" as the first poster did.
Old 04-19-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If you don't want people to know there's a twist, don't mention that there's a twist.

This movie looks good. Sounds like a good matinee-r.
Old 04-19-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had tix to the premiere, but had way too many clients that night. I might catch it this wekend.
Old 04-19-07, 09:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I caught a screening last night and was impressed. A very solid movie all-around (with some funny moments scattered throughout). Worth the positive buzz it's been receiving.
Old 04-20-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was definitely a rather disappointing venture.

Acting: Hopkins, as has been noted many times prior, basically played the role as Lecter-lite, adding nothing to his performance sans a little light-heartedness here and there.

Gosling: While a decent performance, his decision to litter his character with various tics and eccentricities hurt the movie.

There was little mood to the film, and, while the directing was good, it rarely rose above "perfunctory."

And as for the story in general (spoilers detailing the ending):
Spoiler:
The switching of the guns was apparent at the beginning of the film. Every mention of the gun just seemed to make it more and more apparent. When the "twist" was revealed at the end, with the cliche "double phone," it felt anti-climatic and a bit boring.

Overall, I felt it to be a weak addition to Ryan Gosling's resume, and a disappointment in general.

EDIT: I made the error of using the suffix "-ed," as opposed to "-ing," in the spelling of "disappointing" in the lead sentence.

Last edited by invisiblegt; 04-21-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought the exact opposite as invisiblegt. I was half-expecting a weak thriller (something akin to Perfect Stranger or some Ashley Judd movie you might catch on cable) but this was a very nice surprise. Yes, Anthony Hopkins plays Lecter-lite but the movie was extremely well made and the back-and-forth between Gosling and Hopkins was worth the ticket price alone. I do think the directing was half-hearted (and the excessive light bloom from the DP didn't help). I'd call it perhaps the best TV movie or episode of Law & Order I've ever seen. Just a great, solid cast, an entertaining story (not surprising or predictable), and a great way to spend two hours.
Old 04-21-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was a solid thriller I enjoyed even with the audio coming in and out at my chosen cinema. Figured by the time i got home there would be folks debating the finer points of law and how obvious some parts were but I didnt see it coming. I was too focused on his creations.
Old 04-21-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While I enjoyed the film, it's a little long (could have been tightened up here and there), and doesn't really delve into Anthony Hopkins' character all that much, perhaps purposefully so, in this cat-n-mouse crime drama. Ryan Gosling's character, Willy, gets caught flat-footed on his last case as a prosecutor before moving on to a cushy lawfirm position.

It definitely worthy of a matinee viewing if you're fan of either of lead actors.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 04-21-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Gosling: While a decent performance, his decision to litter his character with various tics and eccentricities hurt the movie.
He does this in every movie he's in and, to me, they always work with the character he is playing. It's like he adds so much to the character that even if the script is horrendous (Murder by Numbers) he always stands out with his eccentricities (perfect word, btw) as an actor.

However this movie was very trying. I felt it would never end (and for a film under two hours that's a big negative). Both Gosling and Hopkins were great but the story left much to be desired. The ending, while "surprising", really wasn't all that fulfilling. It felt like they couldn't come up with anything else, but this was not the first ending the cast and crew filmed.

And the music was horrible!
Old 04-21-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got home from a 10:00 showing and enjoyed the movie. On the downside; I figured out the "twist" way before the cliche giveaway but I didn't figure out the when like some people did. I figured it happened during the commotion.

People chewing gum can be real annoying and I thought his character chewing the gum in the beginning was distracting.

A couple of gorgeous woman and no gratuitous nudity!! What the hell is up with that?

It's a solid B+ or an A- even with the obvious flaws

Spoiler:
I was surprised that a guy that spent that much time planning the perfect crime could get outsmarted on simple stuff at the end.
Old 04-22-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did enjoy staring at Rosamund Pike.
Old 04-22-07, 10:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I expected to love it, but was very disappointed.
Originally Posted by conscience
However this movie was very trying. I felt it would never end (and for a film under two hours that's a big negative). Both Gosling and Hopkins were great but the story left much to be desired. The ending, while "surprising", really wasn't all that fulfilling. It felt like they couldn't come up with anything else, but this was not the first ending the cast and crew filmed.

Originally Posted by JimRochester
On the downside; I figured out the "twist" way before the cliche giveaway but I didn't figure out the when like some people did. I figured it happened during the commotion.
Spoiler:
I was surprised that a guy that spent that much time planning the perfect crime could get outsmarted on simple stuff at the end.
I agree strongly with the above spoiler, and will add that there were several other plot holes or silly mistakes by the characters.
Spoiler:
If Hopkin's character really wanted his wife dead, why did he leave her breathing at the beginning? Are the police really that stupid that they wouldn't realize that he had the same exact gun as them, and then not check for the switch? No way the lead detective would think Hopkins did not know of the affair.

I'm glad it was a free ticket for me.
Old 04-22-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I did enjoy staring at Rosamund Pike.
Old 04-23-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
It was rather meh. I guess watching too many L&O episodes pretty much made the plot laughably predictable to me.
Old 04-23-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In Plotholeville and Legalnonsenseland it came dangerously close to the abysmal Double Jeopardy and anything by David Kelley. I was expecting that Hopkins' plan was indeed brilliant but these cops and lawyers had to be idiots to not figure it out even with the limited time brought on by the absolutely ridiculous time frame within which the case went to trial (see the aforementioned David Kelley). And
Spoiler:
for the "brilliant" Hopkins to not see the double jeopardy "attempted murder" vs. "murder" charge coming he had to be an idiot.
I could mention numerous other problems as well.

But still, it was fun and interesting throughout as long as I turned off my disbelief detector. Yet the more I think about it afterwards, I know the less I'll care for it.

Last edited by movielib; 04-23-07 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-11-07, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by movielib
And
Spoiler:
for the "brilliant" Hopkins to not see the double jeopardy "attempted murder" vs. "murder" charge coming he had to be an idiot.
I think Ted could be excused for this considering
Spoiler:
the explanation Beachum/the screenwriters gave is bullshit. Ted was acquitted of attempted murder and was well within his legal rights to pull the plug on his wife. Even with her death, he's protected from any further prosecution since the courts ruled he did NOT shoot his wife. It's weak that Ted would not know this and even let the case go to trial, but makes for a tidy ending.
Old 05-13-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was good up until the twist, that part didn't sit well with me at all.
Spoiler:
Just because the prosecutor knows the guns were switched, it still doesn't provide much in the way of concrete evidence. There is no way to prove Ted was at the hotel, because the video is weak (which is why the couldn't use it originally). I would think Ted's attorneys in the new trial would have a field day with the fact that the actual weapon used to kill her was the detectives, given he was banging the victim and later committed suicide. I think it would be easy for them to paint the picture that he was a jilted lover who was trying to frame Ted from the beginning. The confession to Gosling at the end would be worthless as well (for pretty much the same reasons as the detectives was tossed).
Old 08-16-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Finally caught this (via Netflix) and I loved it. Great performances all around. Also, very nice score and beautifully shot. Could be one of my favorites of 2007.
Old 08-18-07, 03:04 PM

i thought it was desent, the only thing is, admittingly i am not the best at figuring movies like these out until the end, but this one i actually had it figured out pretty quick, so i dunno if anyone would want to own it, i think its more of a rental.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.