Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How is that Amazon Prime Free Trial Membership? (Help needed ASAP!)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-11-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im ordering a DVD player from them and they told me I am eligible so for more info I clicked, but it automatically registered me! So instead of that 10 day free super saver shipping, I can get the player in 2 days for free. I wasnt final on what do do but now that I am registered to their program I have no choice.

I planned on cancelling as soon as the DVD player arrives just to be sure. However Im afraid that they will charge me some hidden fee or the price of the 2 days shipping behind my back as soon as I cancel. Im also afraid I may be commited to the $80 for the first year for just using it once.

So is the canceling process easy or do I have to watch out for hidden fees or charges? I dont want to get scammed. Ive been using Amazon for a few years now and theyve seemed pretty good. I just want to be sure. I have the "place order page" open now so thats kinda why I need a fast response.

Thanks to those who can help out.

Last edited by Ravenous; 04-11-07 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 04:11 PM

i think it's free for a month. my gf used and it's pretty nice to get stuff in two days instead of waiting around for it. just make sure you change the setting in your preferences of options to stop prime membership after your free month.
Old 04-11-07, 04:14 PM

Alright. I planned on stopping it as soon as the DVD player arrives.

As long as its easy to do and theres no hidden fees.
Old 04-12-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's pretty good except when they send things DHL, which they do with alarming frequency. Dealing with DHL makes it not worth it IMO, DHL are below incompetent. It is a great service otherwise, but expensive.
Old 04-12-07, 09:38 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
It's pretty good except when they send things DHL, which they do with alarming frequency. Dealing with DHL makes it not worth it IMO, DHL are below incompetent. It is a great service otherwise, but expensive.
Strange... I'm 60 miles north of you and I get great service from DHL. I just shipped 2 transmissions with them and their price was between 1/2 and 2/3 of FedEx and UPS too.
Old 04-12-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You can definitely set it to NOT renew/charge you when the freebie period is over. As I recall, they also send you an email when your free trial is almost up, verifying that it will end if you do not pay $$$.
Old 04-15-07, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
I feel the same way. What is it with these people? They seem to forget where my house is almost everytime and I have to call their dispatch myself and have them come back out while their driver yells at me like it's my fault he can't read a map.

95%+ of everything they send UPS gets here next day, DHL has only gotten it to me in 2 days (without me having to call in ) ONCE. I get abolut 5 packages a week from amazon and cringe when I get the email that says "DHL Tracking #....."

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 04-15-07 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 11:02 AM

I received the Amazon Prime offer as well and as other posters have said, and there is a a termination date which will automatically end unless you renew for $79.

Amazon offered a High Definition discount in late 2006 where they would give you 10% off an order with 3 HD titles on it--and give you 10% off all HD titles ordered in 2007. With that kind of a deal, it was a no-brainer to go with the Amazon Prime. Even though I order most items as "second-day" I receive them next day.

I guess I just never ordered all that much from Amazon in a year to warrant the $79 fee, but with their HD discount it made it all worth it!
Old 04-16-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by X
Strange... I'm 60 miles north of you and I get great service from DHL. I just shipped 2 transmissions with them and their price was between 1/2 and 2/3 of FedEx and UPS too.

You must be really lucky. Personally I wouldn't use DHL if they paid me to do it. Hope your luck continues when/if something goes awry...
Old 04-17-07, 03:39 PM

Whats DHL?
Old 04-17-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Whats DHL?
DHL/FedEx/UPS

All shipping services.
Old 04-25-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
While you're on your trial, make as many pre-orders as you want, because they'll get the Prime shipping even if they ship after the trial ends. Just be sure not to make any changes to the orders after the trial ends.
Old 04-25-07, 01:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have yet to get an email from Amazon stating my free trial expired, considering I buy something nearly every week, I think they've perceived me as a vital customer.