Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Having the DVD fever...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the DVD fever...

I've owned hundreds more Dvd's in the past 8 years over the ones that I own today. I usually trade in dvds I haven't watched in a long time for something new or something I've been after for a while. I'll get these kicks where I'll just trade in or sell 5-10 movies one day, only to buy 3-4 of them back at a future date. I blame it on college. I used to trade/sell dvd's for cash to freinds of mine. In fact, that's how I got two of my freinds into buying dvds. One owns about 300 movies, while the other has around 100 (25-30 were ones I sold him). How many out there trade alot to get something new and then buy whatever you traded back at a later time??
Old 04-11-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have thousands of titles(don't bother looking, I have not updated my link to the library in almost a year)...and I have traded very little....maybe 10 dvds. If I want something new....I buy it. If I want to weed out titles, which is rare, I usually just give them to a buddy or donate to the local loibrary and hospitals.

Honestly, if a title is in my library....it stays there...depending on what the upgrade version offers.
Old 04-11-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty much blind buy everything and send a box in to DVDPlanet every few months for store credit to blind buy everything and send in a... Rinse, repeat. That and I trade a few here or sell a few there... More recently, since I'm in a tech field where I can justify having DVDs for work purposes, I've started taking "leftovers" to work.

But, I really only have room for ~500 or so with my storage space at home, so I tend to keep the number of "keepers" to under 500. If I kept everything my collection would probably number about 1500.

Ever sold something and bought it again? Rarely... But I do the "upgrade" thing every so often.
Old 04-11-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Well, I have thousands of titles(don't bother looking, I have not updated my link to the library in almost a year)...and I have traded very little....maybe 10 dvds. If I want something new....I buy it. If I want to weed out titles, which is rare, I usually just give them to a buddy or donate to the local loibrary and hospitals.

Honestly, if a title is in my library....it stays there...depending on what the upgrade version offers.
Same here.

What's the point of buying and then trading them all in for new ones? Isn't that what renting is for? I buy the titles I know I'm going to rewatch over and over, and rent ones I'm not sure about or have never seen. If I rent and like it, I'll buy it.

I blind buy occasionally but it's fairly rare and I usually have some idea whether I'm going to like it or not.
Old 04-11-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most new releases drop in price quickly nowadays. I don't see the point of trading in for a new title. In 3-6 months, they end up in the $10 section at Best Buy.
Old 04-11-07, 03:15 PM

I've traded a few things that I've bought back at a later time. Only did it because they were good deals that I couldn't pass up & I knew it'd be cheaper in the long run.

I occasionally blind buy, but the price has to be right.
Old 04-11-07, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've given away about 150 DVDs in the past couple of years (usually to local libraries) and I don't recall that I have ever given one up that I have wanted back later, atleast in the same form now if you're talking about "upgrades" that's a different story. As others have said I usually only buy the ones I want and for the most part I rent everything else that I just want to check out. The one area where this fails is w/ imports since they aren't always readily available for rent (esp the non-R1 ones). WRT I usually try to check out as much info about a particular title I can before sinking the money into it.
Old 04-11-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have somewhere around 2000 by now. I buy very few new ones. Now I primarily rent however I'll still get Special Editions or other keepers for Christmas and my birthday. Then I'll give the older one to my parents for their collection. I used to trade all the time by I just plain ran out of room. I have every shelf in the family room and living room full plus 5 or 6 binders loaded with them. I don't even know what I have any more.
Old 04-11-07, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Same here.

What's the point of buying and then trading them all in for new ones? Isn't that what renting is for? I buy the titles I know I'm going to rewatch over and over, and rent ones I'm not sure about or have never seen. If I rent and like it, I'll buy it.

I blind buy occasionally but it's fairly rare and I usually have some idea whether I'm going to like it or not.
Bingo!