Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation remaster coming in June

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

From sonicyouth.com:

DAYDREAM NATION 2xCD/4XLP DELUXE EDITION AVAILABLE JUNE 12 FEATURING UNRELEASED LIVE MATERIAL AND RARE COVERS

Hailed by Rolling Stone as one of 'The 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time' and honored as one of the first 200 albums chosen by the Library of Congress to be included in the National Recording Registry for their historic, cultural or aesthetic importance, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation will be issued by Geffen Records in a two-disc Deluxe Edition with bonus tracks, new liner notes, and unseen band photos on June 12, 2007 and on a super-special 4-disc vinyl set issued by the band's own Goofin' Records.

Disc One features the original 1988 album, remastered from the original tapes under the band's supervision, plus a bonus home demo of 'Eric's Trip.' The 'Live Daydream' Disc two, comprised largely of previously unreleased tracks, features 15 live tracks from the band's 'Daydream Nation' Tour. Culled from performances at several venues including hallowed grounds such as CBGB's in New York and The Paradiso in Amsterdam, 'Live Daydream' includes live versions of every song on the original album. Added to that are four studio bonuses: 'Within You, Without You,' from Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father - an NME-sponsored charity Beatles Tribute album, 'Computer Age' from the critically-acclaimed Neil Young tribute album The Bridge; 'Electricity' from the Captain Beefheart tribute album Fast And Bulbous, and a cover of Mudhoney's 'Touch Me, I'm Sick,' originally released as a Sub Pop single.

The bonus materials are an aural treat for the discerning aficionado and the casual listener alike, and provide new insight into an album widely considered to be Sonic Youth's watershed moment.
Old 04-11-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Sweet!

I already have the 2-Disc DEs of Dirty and Goo, will definitely pick this one up also.
Old 04-11-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally....I'm all over this!!
Old 04-11-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool! Memories.....
Old 04-11-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been long time coming. In fact, I was just wondering the other day if it was ever gonna happen.

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-11-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, gushing ahead, but this is possibly my favorite album of all time. It had a huge impact on me when I was 15. This is the album that made me realize there was more to music than Phil Collins and Bon Jovi. It's still my benchmark. The opening chords to Teenage Riot after Kim Gordon's voice still gets me 20 years later. The drums coming in after the freak out in Silver Rocket, the last verse of The Sprawl, the bridge in Eric's Trip, Total Trash's definitive NYC gutter-rock chorus, the "bum trash in my hall" line in Hyperstation, Kim getting freaky in Eliminator Jr.... this album is stuffed with some of my favorite moments on any album. Hell the whole album is even loosely inspired by Neuromancer which was my favorite book when I was younger.

Long story short, I like it, a lot.

It definitely sounds a little murky in its current master. The album's got a unique sound but it's very crushed and hollow. A punchy, dynamic remaster would be great (although I'll definitely keep the original mix)...

Also the live tracks would be great. It's surprisingly difficult to find good live SY stuff. I've only got a few suspect bootlegs and a few tracks on the Dirty Boots single. Both don't sound all that great. I've seen them live many times (they used to play in my hometown all the time when I was a kid) and they are one of those bands that really come into their own live. They need to release some more live stuff. Hopefully this is a good start.

Lastly, Computer Age is alright (I have that comp) but it's hardly terrific (side note: "The Bridge" is mostly absolutely fantastic).

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-11-07 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonic Youth has a show scheduled for July 20th at the Greek Theatre in LA where they plan to perform DN in its entirety. Not sure about onsale info, but you can check the venue out at www.greektheatrela.com.
Old 04-11-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jippy
Sonic Youth has a show scheduled for July 20th at the Greek Theatre in LA where they plan to perform DN in its entirety. Not sure about onsale info, but you can check the venue out at www.greektheatrela.com.
They are doing that at the Pitchfork Festival in Chicago as well I believe.
Old 04-11-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
They are doing that at the Pitchfork Festival in Chicago as well I believe.
Friday July 13 in Union Park. I'm slightly wary of the crowd at something sponsored by Pitchfork, but it might be fun to be there. They fell off a little in the mid-late ninties, but SY has been great live lately.
Old 04-13-07, 07:36 AM

This is gonna be so good - very glad that the departure from DGC/Universal didn't affect this. It might shape up to be the best of the three.

Not to get greedy, but hopefully they'll go back and do "Sister" as well...at least as a single disc reissue with the "Master=Dik" EP as a bonus, though I'm sure there's plenty of live "Sister" stuff out there to do a comparable double disc.
Old 04-13-07, 08:51 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Long story short, I like it, a lot.
Me too.

This is great news.
Old 04-13-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome, I've loved the other two deluxe editions, especially the demo album of Goo.

Any word on a release date?
Old 04-13-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll pick it up for the bonus material and packaging, but both of the previous DEs had worse masterings than the originals, and I doubt this will be any different/better. I'll be sticking with the orignal Blast First CD when I want to hear the album, and this one for the bonus disc.

I'm getting really sick and tired of remasters always being louder and more compressed. It's taking all the fun out of re-buying albums.
Originally Posted by brokenhanger
Not to get greedy, but hopefully they'll go back and do "Sister" as well...at least as a single disc reissue with the "Master=Dik" EP as a bonus, though I'm sure there's plenty of live "Sister" stuff out there to do a comparable double disc.
Eh. They'd probably just add the 'Live At The Continental Club' CD as the bonus disc instead of unearthing previously unreleased material.
Old 04-18-07, 06:42 PM

Great news! One of the best albums from the 80s. I was actually looking forward to this being remastered even more than Goo or Dirty, which have already received the deluxe treatment.
Old 06-11-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bumping for this week's release. . .
Old 06-11-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MWB
Bumping for this week's release. . .
Any decent prices on this? There never seems to be on the deluxe editions...
Old 06-11-07, 02:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Already got my tickets for the Greek in LA. I absolutely cannot wait for this. I know practically every note on this album by heart.
Old 06-12-07, 07:32 AM

Picked up my copy last night - this thing is gorgeous. As usual, two great essays inside - from Ray Farrell formerly of SST and Byron Coley...nothing from the band this time, but they're heavilly interviewed in Coley's essay. The live version of 'Total Trash' is the same from the 'Silver Rocket' 7", but the other live tracks - I believe - are previously unreleased.

I've two complaints - of course, because I can never be truly happy. One is they split 'Trilogy' up into three tracks on the main disc, which was just stupid and pointless, but I guess also pretty minor. Second is they mention all this great demo and embryonic live stuff in the liner notes, but almost none if it is featured [except for the previously mentioned live version of 'Total Trash', and the demo of 'Eric's Trip' on disc one...which is fantastic, by the way.] It just would've been nice to hear some more of the development of this album - I know the demos on "Dirty" were revelatory for me - especially since anyone buying this probably already has at least one "Daydream Nation"-era bootleg lying around to piece together a comparable disc 2.

But for what's there, a fantastic package and well worth the 5 year wait since it was announced. Makes me sad that there aren't any plans for more at the moment.
Old 06-12-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brokenhanger
Picked up my copy last night - this thing is gorgeous. As usual, two great essays inside - from Ray Farrell formerly of SST and Byron Coley...nothing from the band this time, but they're heavilly interviewed in Coley's essay. The live version of 'Total Trash' is the same from the 'Silver Rocket' 7", but the other live tracks - I believe - are previously unreleased.

I've two complaints - of course, because I can never be truly happy. One is they split 'Trilogy' up into three tracks on the main disc, which was just stupid and pointless, but I guess also pretty minor. Second is they mention all this great demo and embryonic live stuff in the liner notes, but almost none if it is featured [except for the previously mentioned live version of 'Total Trash', and the demo of 'Eric's Trip' on disc one...which is fantastic, by the way.] It just would've been nice to hear some more of the development of this album - I know the demos on "Dirty" were revelatory for me - especially since anyone buying this probably already has at least one "Daydream Nation"-era bootleg lying around to piece together a comparable disc 2.

But for what's there, a fantastic package and well worth the 5 year wait since it was announced. Makes me sad that there aren't any plans for more at the moment.
Where did you pick it up and how much did you pay?
Old 06-12-07, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by auto
Where did you pick it up and how much did you pay?
I got it at a local indie last night and ended up paying around $26 plus tax. The cheapest I found it online was at Deepdiso**** for $23.38, but I knew they'd sell it to me early and give me a little bit of a discount [they had marked $28.99, so they knocked of 10%] and I wanted to get my hands on it as soon as I could.

I swear the list on these has gone up. If I recall correctly, I paid $24.99 list for "Dirty" and somewhere between $25-$27 for "Goo" when they came out. I usually try to shop around for the best deal, but in all three cases it was a matter of being there and wanted them on release day...or prior, as the case may be.

Regardless, I feel it was well worth it - I've been enjoying it all day.
Old 06-12-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I picked it up at Borders using a 20% coupon. The surprising thing is that most of the songs are shorter on the live disc than the original versions. I would expect them to be a little longer as SY tends to drench things in feedback as intros/outros to songs in concert.
Old 06-12-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I spotted the new release at Rhino Records in Clarement today for $21.99. They also give you a two-sided poster (looks like it's around 12X24). I've spent too much $$$ on CD's lately so this one will have to wait awhile. Really difficult to walk out of the store without it though...
Old 06-20-07, 10:53 PM

Can anybody who's picked this up comment on the sound quality? I'm mainly interested in the remastered studio tracks rather than the extras. But I'll pass if "remastered" is code for "compressed to hell", like it seems to be nowadays.
Old 06-22-07, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by GHackmann
Can anybody who's picked this up comment on the sound quality? I'm mainly interested in the remastered studio tracks rather than the extras. But I'll pass if "remastered" is code for "compressed to hell", like it seems to be nowadays.

Yeah, I've put off buying a bunch of reissues for stuff as the remastered albums are often worse sounding than the initial pressings.
Old 06-22-07, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GHackmann
The clipping and dynamic range compression is slightly noticable, but it's not nearly as bad as something like Rush's "Vapor Trails". If you've heard the Cure limited editions, I'd say it's similar: they pumped up the tracks a little bit, but didn't wash out the music. Some things are actually better: you can hear Kim's bass a little more and Steve's "clicky" drums from the original pressing have been beefed up a little. I'll keep the old disc because I like the sound of it, but the new one is probably worth it just for the live stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.