Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gear coming to the US with original hosts intact?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article2437289.ece

BBC hopes for an export hit as 'Top Gear' takes on America
By Arifa Akbar
Published: 10 April 2007
The last British television export to the US featuring a boss prone to making provocative comments - the cult comedy The Office - proved to be a massive success. Now, a television show with an equally outspoken frontman is set to follow in its wake.

BBC chiefs are attempting to broker a multimillion-pound deal with major American networks to make "Top Gear USA". The show could make a stateside star of Jeremy Clarkson, the motormouth who presents the BBC2 programme, along with his co-presenters Richard Hammond and James May.

A BBC statement yesterday confirmed that the broadcaster had entered into talks with American television networks about the motoring show.

The statement said: "BBC World has had exploratory conversations with the US networks to bring a local version of Top Gear to the US, but there is not yet a deal on the table."

A spokeswoman could not confirm if Clarkson would present the US show, but a source said he was favoured by the networks. The source told The Sun newspaper: "It's very exciting. Jeremy and the guys can't wait to teach the Yanks a bit about cars."...
If you havent seen this show, take a look online. It's great even if you don't particularly like cars. I think it's one of the best shows on the air anywhere.

If they're able to transition the show while remaining true to what made the original great (the hosts' wildly different personalities, the sarcasm and irreverance, the ridiculous stunts) it's going to be terrific. This is a much better idea than remaking it with new hosts.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-10-07 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
When I read intact all I could think of was the high speed wreck.
Old 04-10-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
When I read intact all I could think of was the high speed wreck.

Is it me or do Hammond's eyes look a little glassy these days? He's holding it together and seems to be OK, but there's definitely and hint of "1000 Yard Stare" behind his eyes...
Old 04-10-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I love this show - my GF even likes this show. It is the host that makes it.

I'm so glad they are exploring making a US version of this show - because I have a hard time with the whole Km, Meters, Pounds conversion thing. That, and a lot of the cars they test are not available over here.
Old 04-10-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw an episode of this show but they used MPH instead of KPH.

They still used pounds, but the dollar equivalent was shown at the bottom of the screen.
Old 04-10-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
That's great that they are finally bringing Top Gear to the US. I am a huge fan of the show.
I would like to see Clarkson, Hammond and May hosting the show.

How are they going to air this in the US? BBC airs Top Gear without commericals.

I saw this article from January 2006. American Top Gear with different hosts.
http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/08/2.html
and
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/19/m...ar-in-the-u-s/

I hope that version of Top Gear USA didn't work out. No one can replace Clarkson, Hammond and May.
Old 04-10-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm all over this. Top Gear is one of the best television programs. (That sentence was not missing a clause or specification.)

I see a conversion as being reasonably easy. The car reviews can be the same, you just need to ADR the pounds into dollars and maybe have more global celebrities.
Old 04-11-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Match
I hope that version of Top Gear USA didn't work out. No one can replace Clarkson, Hammond and May.
That's what's different about this announcement: they're keeping the original hosts. TG with 4 unknown American "regular guys" would have been truly awful, kudos to the BBC for realizing that and ditching the idea.
Old 04-11-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
It's a great show. Unlike a lot of others, they're not afraid to criticize cars when they don't like them.
Old 04-11-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
This is just awsome news! US viewers should love to hear about them bashing French cars.

Better get a BBC series 10 first!