Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uwe Boll's Postal lampoons 9/11 (new clip)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Uwe Boll has said that the movie will poke fun at just about all of the sensitive issues, so here you go. It's the opening to the movie I believe. Just right click the following link, and save-as:

http://www.bollbashers.com/trailers/postal_clip.mov

http://www.bollbashers.com/?p=332

Here is an interview with Boll:

http://sknr.net/index.php?option=com...8&Itemid=75%20

I wanted to make a departure from the drama/horror/action films I'd been recently making. I made the creative decision to present the feature POSTAL as an extremely dark comedy. As a genre, comedy provides the opportunity for one to explore controversial and politically volatile subjects. If you make people laugh , you can address forbidden topics with a harsh and brutal approach.

One takes the potential risk of offending audience members with every new film. In POSTAL, we chose to send up every forbidden topic. We laugh and abuse all groups, religions and political parties with a sense of equality. Some people will find the film humerous and entertaining, and others may be deeply offended. On one hand we make jokes at George Bush's expense and on the other we take the piss out of environmentalist, tree hugging, yoga supporters. No one is spared.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 04-09-07 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ermmmm... I'm all for black comedy... but while black, there was nothing funny about it. The World Trade Center plane hits a window wiper. Ok, and?
Old 04-09-07, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I could show a clip of me shooting a dog and say "See, it's funny because it's so dark!"

Yeah, I don't think so.
Old 04-09-07, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to make a departure from the drama/horror/action films I'd been recently making.
If you want to do something different, learn how to make a movie you pathetic hack!!!

If you make people laugh
There's something you certainly are an expert at, making people laugh. They've been laughing at you since day one...

One takes the potential risk of offending audience members with every new film.
Potential nothing... I think it's safe to say that you offend the vast majority of movie fans with every one of your films - just not in the way you're thinking.

Maybe this is just a false story, but I was told a while back that he kept getting funding for movies because of some loophole in the German tax laws that let him claim his shite-fests were actually making money. Then that loophole was closed, and he was supposed to go away.

It sounds a little out there, but christ... how else can you explain people lining up to let this talentless hack direct their movie?
Old 04-09-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Maybe this is just a false story, but I was told a while back that he kept getting funding for movies because of some loophole in the German tax laws that let him claim his shite-fests were actually making money. Then that loophole was closed, and he was supposed to go away.
Not quite. The loophole was that the investors deliberately wanted to lose money so that they could pay less taxes by deducting the loss; the taxes on the rich in European countries are so absurdly high that this logic actually makes sense.

A similar type of loophole in Britain in the 70s is reportedly why a lot of rock stars and such invested in films like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Unfortunately for them, in that instance, the film actually made money.
Old 04-09-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once the loophole closed, he still had money to make 5 more films. This being one of them.
Old 04-09-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info, guys!

So is Postal the first movie of the five? How many more Boll crap-fests do we still have in the pipe?

Makes me wish that MST3K was still around. Maybe we can get Mike Nelson to do a Rifftrax of a Boll movie... that is, if he can do it without wanting to put a gun to his head.
Old 04-09-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uwe Boll is a douchebag. I think Penny Arcade summed him up pretty well.

Old 04-10-07, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Nothing funnier than 9/11.
Old 04-11-07, 02:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
So is Postal the first movie of the five? How many more Boll crap-fests do we still have in the pipe?
Dungeon Siege (starring Jason Statham and Ray Liotta?!?!?!?)
BloodRayne II
Far Cry
maybe Alone in the Dark II
a horror movie and a war movie, neither based on video games surprisingly
Old 04-11-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Say what you want about him, but Uwe's Bolls films rake in milli—

Wait, no they don't.
Old 04-11-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But even without profits, at least they have some artistic credi...

Wait... Hm.

Now I'm just confused.
Old 04-12-07, 12:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the 9/11 victims' families complain, Uwe will just challenge them to a boxing match.
Old 04-12-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Postal, the crash you've seen in the previously posted clip, Uwe Boll makes a "joke" where it turns out that it's the fault of the passengers that the plane crashed into the building, and not because of the terrorists.

Here is more from bollbashers.com:

A recording of Uwe Boll’s seminar on ‘Transforming Games to Movies’ at Breakpoint 2007 is available in form of a bittorrent file. It contains new trailers for In the Name of the King and Postal. A huge surprise: Boll shows the first 4 minutes of Postal.

The movies opens with a scene inside the cockpit of the first plane that crashed into the World Trade Center. The terrorists who hijacked the plane argue about how many virgins they’ll get in the afterlife. They decide to call up their leader, Osama Bin Laden. Bin Laden confirms there is a bit of a shortage of virgins lately due to all the martyrs blowing themselves up in the world. Dumbfounded, the terrorists decide to give up their plan to sacrifice themselves and reroute the plane to the Bahamas. But then the passengers break into the cockpit and attack the terrorists. Out of control, the planes crashes into the WTC. At this point we get the exact same shot that was contained in the leaked clip, albeit with slightly different sound editing. The fireball from the exploding plane engulfes the screen and we cut to the title credits.
Thanks to Georgit Porgir for pointing out an older article on IGN. They had 100 celebrities pick their favorite moments in television history. Uwe Boll remembered the TV coverage of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. (tv.ign.com):

"My favorite TV moment was the September 11 attack. For one day in TV History every channel showed the same stuff over and over again. This day showed us that we are all completely voyeurs greedy for thrilling entertainment no matter if this is real or not. I think on that day I saw 150 times the same shot of airplanes crashing in the World Trade Center and of course every time the news showed it again the reporter made a long speech how bitter it is. This day showed me also that we are all really convinced that 3000 dead people in a western civilization are way more important that millions of dead Africans and Arabs in wars and civil wars at the same time."

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 04-12-07 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the 9/11 victims' families complain, Uwe will just challenge them to a boxing match.
I'm actually hoping that nobody complains, I don't want him getting any publicity. It's exactly what he wants.
Old 04-13-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Too soon.
Old 04-14-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are right, it is too soon to have another Uwe Boll movie in theaters.
Old 04-14-07, 01:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Too soon.
I think there will never be an appropriate time for a movie of this nature. Its like making a comedy out of Pearl Harbor or the assination of MLK. And thats coming from me a guy who loves Sarah Silverman.