Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

EB Games has a store managers opening in my hometown.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

The EB Games in my hometown has an opening for a store manager. I've been looking to change jobs and thought about tossing my name in the hat. I was wondering what I would be in for if I was accepted? I know the first thing I would do is get the lead out of the asses that work there now.

I know it would be long hours and I wouldn't think the pay wouldn't be that grand. I would have to consider that before chaning jobs. Suprmallet , aren't you a store manager at EB or Gamestop? What's your take on it? I don't mind working hard and I love video games. Half of my living room is in that store from all of the trading and swapping I do there.

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 04-09-07 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the pay is very good. But I'd imagine it would be a pretty easy job.

But I would also like to know the starting pay for managers. I just left my previous job and may apply for a manager job at EB myself. I've been in management at another retail establishment and I'm pretty sure I could easily get an EB manager job.

That being said working retail in any capacity sucks. But I haven't worked in retail for a couple years and think I could handle it for a year or so.

Maybe it's kinda like child-birth. I've heard women say, right after having a baby, that it's such excruciating pain that they would never want to go through it again, but after a few years they kind of forget just how painful it was, "Oh, it wasn't too bad" and want to have another child. Just a thought, I'm rambling.

So how much do they start at for managers?
Old 04-09-07, 12:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As far as retail jobs go, it's really not the worst out there. Starting pay I can't comment on, because, well, I'm not allowed. But I say go ahead and give it a try. Sorry I'm not elaborating more, I'm kind of out of it.
Old 04-09-07, 01:48 AM

A friend of mine recently left a store manager position at EB after a year to return to Blockbuster. He said the perks (swag, etc.) were fantastic, but that the environment and competitiveness between stores was to the point where it was out of hand. For example, a certain store manager would only sell 360's during the Christmas season to people who were trading a certain amount of games/consoles. Personally, I found it hard to believe, but lo and behold, I went into this particular store 2 weeks later to find that he had been fired after a game rep came into the store to find 2 employees and an off-duty employee playing with a personal Wii system hooked up to one of the LCDs.

I've also heard that promotions for store managers are based largely on how much used product the store buys, and how much of it is sold. Doesn't sound so unreasonable, but really those numbers are very dependant on the area the store covers and how much competition there is around them (mostly.. other EB/Gamestop stores).

Again, this is secondhand information, but it's from a guy I've known and worked with for over 3 years. He never said he hated it, but from the way he talked about it, he sure did seem frustrated.
Old 04-09-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Supermullet
Old 04-09-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sorry about that
Suprmallet. It was late when I started this thread.
Old 04-09-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Retail sucks. EB Games/Gamestop is one of the worst in retail. That should tell you something. If your lucky, the district manager will be an alright guy and that would make your job a lot easier. But most likely, he will not. Most of the DM's are dicks because they are trained to and are measured/paid based on your performance.

You will be responsible to meet stupid goals for stuff that you probably will not like to sell. Such as extended warranties and "featured products". You will also be managing younger guys who really could give a shit about you meeting your sales goals resulting in you constantly having to push them to sell the shit that you hate to sell yourself.

I could go on and on. Do yourself a favor and try to find something other than retail if you can. The pay isn't going to be that great. And if you have never work for something close to a game/entertainment store they will probably try to start you out as assistant manager. I would not been a manger for EB if I would have really known all the behind the scenes stuff. Off course, I fucking hate retail so if you don't mind retail that might make it beter. But regardless of if you can tolerate retail, it's still one of the worst retail jobs. There are better retail jobs out there in my opinion.
Old 04-09-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You don't have to sell/get ranked on warranties and "featured products", just overall reserves/subscriptions to Game Informer/sales/trade. As long as you do well in an area or 2, you'll be fine. I've worked for a lot of retail places, but managing a Gamestop has probably been the best, even though it sucks (but all retail does). Just do well and your DM won't even bother you, I never see mine unless she comes to take me to lunch or I tell her to come. I dunno about pay, but In California, I do allright...enough to afford my own apt, and about 1000 DVDs etc...
Old 04-09-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337
You don't have to sell/get ranked on warranties and "featured products", just overall reserves/subscriptions to Game Informer/sales/trade. As long as you do well in an area or 2, you'll be fine. I've worked for a lot of retail places, but managing a Gamestop has probably been the best, even though it sucks (but all retail does). Just do well and your DM won't even bother you, I never see mine unless she comes to take me to lunch or I tell her to come. I dunno about pay, but In California, I do allright...enough to afford my own apt, and about 1000 DVDs etc...
May I ask about about how many hours a week does a Gamestop/EB Games manager work?
Old 04-09-07, 10:00 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't even stand shopping there, so they couldn't pay me enough to work there in any capacity.

Retail sucks, but those stores are among the worst of the worst. And I've heard nothing but bad things from the few I've known who worked there, including one who was an asst. manager.

I'd stay far, far away.
Old 04-10-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
May I ask about about how many hours a week does a Gamestop/EB Games manager work?
EB was alway 44 hrs/week, GS seemed to schedule 42.5 hrs. Although there was a mandantory 6 days a week through the holidays.
Old 04-10-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Yeah I worked Walmart Electronics for 2 years, specifically with the Video games. I think id rather starve and die, than do anything like that again. Throughout the years, ive always heard horror stories about these EB/GS manager positions. Wasn’t there a story awhile back, about them having to work tons of overtime, for no pay or something, or am I making things up?
Old 04-10-07, 11:29 AM
Banned by request

Depends on what state you're in. If you're in a state like CA, where the position is hourly, you get paid fo every hour you work, and overtime for every hour over 8 in a day, and over 40 in a week. In a state where the position is salaried, there's no such thing as overtime for them.
Old 04-10-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I know a lot of retail jobs you can eventually make $70,000 or above (at the manager level) and if you luck out / work hard and run a dept. store etc I believe the income is in the six figures (same thing iirc for BB, etc.) I don't see that being possible with Gamestop, but who knows.

If you don't like your current job and can make the same or more money, give it a shot.
Old 04-12-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I know a lot of retail jobs you can eventually make $70,000 or above (at the manager level) and if you luck out / work hard and run a dept. store etc I believe the income is in the six figures (same thing iirc for BB, etc.) I don't see that being possible with Gamestop, but who knows.

If you don't like your current job and can make the same or more money, give it a shot.

your definitely not going to make 70 grand at a eb games. Probably mid 30's
Old 04-12-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
your definitely not going to make 70 grand at a eb games. Probably mid 30's
Even a manager? I guess they are much smaller stores to manage -- not like being a manager of a Target.

I've never worked retail in my life but I would have assumed that EB would be pretty easy -- but I'm not a salesperson and I'd hate selling something I didn't believe in (like ext. warranties). Now that i've heard how much demand is put on selling additional crap like magazines, ext. warranties, and pre-orders... I don't think I could ever do it.

I've actually considered doing retail as a 2nd night/weekend job for extra money... but I think I'd do better in a book store or something similar than a mass retailer or apparently EB games.
Old 04-12-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I've never worked retail in my life but I would have assumed that EB would be pretty easy -- but I'm not a salesperson and I'd hate selling something I didn't believe in (like ext. warranties). Now that i've heard how much demand is put on selling additional crap like magazines, ext. warranties, and pre-orders... I don't think I could ever do it.
Find something you believe in and sell it.
Old 04-12-07, 09:27 PM
Banned by request

Extended warranties are the easiest thing to sell. And they actually don't make us push those much at all anymore.
Old 04-12-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't make 70 grand being a manager at Target either. Unless you are the top guy at the store.