Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-man 4 villain revealed??

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-07, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morlun will be the Spider-man 4 villain?

Spider-Man 3 is still a couple of months away, but it’s starting to look like Sony is already hard at work on plotting Spider-Man 4. In fact, they may already be talking about who will be the film’s big villain. According to one of our more reliable sources, the guy that’s getting the most consideration is a newer Spider-Man enemy named Morlun.

Till now most of Spidey’s enemies in the films have been more well traveled, classic faces from his extensive rogues gallery, but Morlun is relatively new to Peter Parker’s universe. Co-created by ‘Babylon 5’ godfather J. Michael Straczynski, Morlun first appeared in “Amazing Spider-Man” comics in 2001. Here’s how Marvel describes him: “Morlun is a vampiric being who has walked the earth for centuries. He feeds on the totems-- the core power sources of the universe. While he can feed on lesser sources such as humans and super humans, he requires a pure source to fully satiate his hunger.”

If this is really the direction they’re thinking of going for the fourth movie, it’s a serious departure from the previous three films. Battling Morlun sounds like they’d be skating on the edge of getting Spidey involved with magic, something that Raimi’s films have shied away from.

But then we don’t know if Raimi will be back, do we? Our inside source has the scoop on that as well. Apparently it’s not as much of a foregone conclusion that Spider-Man 3 will be the last movie for Raimi, Maguire, and Dunst as some think. Despite statements to the contrary, word is that the cast and crew is still undecided about whether or not to return. Unfortunately, of the big three the one that’s now most open to returning is Kirsten, who seems to be waiting around to see what Sam Raimi does. Apparently it’s not just about whether or not Raimi wants to come back, Sony isn’t sure whether or not they actually want him.

If Raimi is out, taking the franchise on a sharp left turn and using a radically different villain like Morlun might make sense. As long as you’re changing out the cast and crew, why not fiddle with the tone of the series as well?

For now, please remember to take all of the above only as unsupported rumor and conjecture. Our source has proven reliable in the past, but nothing is certain until Sony says it is.
Who outside of the most hardcore comic book fans is going to know who Morlun is? I hope this news turns out to be false. I would rather see one of Spidey's classic villains like Mysterio or Kraven or Lizard. Hell, they have had Curt Connors in Spidey 2 and 3, so using the Lizard seems like a no-brainer. I had always wanted to see a movie adaption of "Kraven's Last Hunt" too.
Old 04-07-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Maybe they'll do both Lizard and Morlun?
Old 04-07-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah, stick with the classics. (Venom being the exception)

I still hold that the best way for Sony to handle potential sequels is to film parts 4, 5 at once. It just seems to be the most realistic way to get the director and actors back on board (one BIG movie), while saving some money in the process. Release part 4 in 2010 and 5 in 2011.
Old 04-07-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They have had Dr Connors in the last two movies so Lizard would not be that far fetched, but John Jameson is in the last couple ones too maybe we can throw in Man-Wolf as well.
Old 04-07-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of friends and I were discussing who Spider-Man 4's villain would be. Lizard was the one we mainly tossed around; I'd also love Mysterio, Kraven, or Vulture. The Sinister Six might be hard to do, but that's another idea I'd pay to see. However, I've never heard of Morlun. How is he as a character? This seems to be in line with the Hush rumors about Dark Knight.
Old 04-07-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought everyone was done after Spider-Man 3? Has Raimi or Maguire expressed interest in a 4th one? Or is Sony just planning on hiring a whole new team?
Old 04-07-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Never heard of Morlun. I'd like to see Lizard or Shocker myself.
Old 04-07-07, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Without Maguire or Rami I wouldn't start getting so excited about Spidey 4 so early.
Old 04-07-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mysterio or the lizard for me. Mysterio could be done awesome with today's animation. All of his illusions and that.
Old 04-07-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am on the other side of the fence, without Maguire or Rami I would be excited. I can't stand Maguire's Peter Parker and I don't buy into anything Rami has done , 'cept for 'A Simple Plan'.

Still, Morlun would be an extremely farfetched villain to do..
Old 04-07-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd rather see Carnage.
Old 04-07-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
My vote goes to Humbug.

Old 04-07-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If they're switching out tobey maguire, I'll be there day one to see it, no matter who the villain is. It could be The Walrus ("Yeah, well - Don't underestimate ME, pal! For your information, I've got the proportionate speed, strength and agility of a WALRUS!") for all I care...
Old 04-07-07, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I thought everyone was done after Spider-Man 3? Has Raimi or Maguire expressed interest in a 4th one? Or is Sony just planning on hiring a whole new team?
Did you read the post at all?
Old 04-07-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maguire Open To Spidey 4

Tobey Maguire, who reprises the role of Peter Parker in the upcoming Spider-Man 3, told SCI FI Wire in February that he remained open to a fourth film, with reservations. This despite earlier reports that the third webslinger movie would be his last. Maguire is not contractually bound to do a fourth film.

"Well, it's possible that we make another movie," Maguire said in an interview. "It all depends on if there's a story worth telling. I feel very proud of the three movies that we've made. I feel like the stories all deserve to be told, and, you know, if they come up with a good movie, and the whole team wants to get back together, and we feel like we can make a good movie that's worth making, then I'm up for it."

His co-star, Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane Watson), echoed the sentiment in a separate interview in February. And for her, it depended on whether or not writer/director Sam Raimi agreed to a fourth installment. "There's an openness at the end [of Spider-Man 3], which I like, but ... I feel like this is a trilogy unto itself," she said. "And I think if we venture into a fourth, it will be some time from now and in a new way. Because I don't think Sam can do that: continuing on this same course. I think he needs to venture as an artist and do other things; otherwise, none of us will have anything good to bring to the fourth. So I think we all need to venture out a little bit, and then maybe we'll come back together one day and do another one."

She added: "I would work with Sam on any movie he wanted to work on it with me, because I just adore that man."

For his part, Raimi hasn't said one way or another whether he'd do another movie. Producer Avi Arad has been quoted as saying he'd move ahead with a fourth Spider-Man with or without Maguire.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=3&id=40891
Old 04-07-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
morlun would suck big time.
Old 04-08-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
I remember flipping through the pages of an issue of Amazing Spider-Man at a bookstore a year or three ago and seeing this Morlun guy - he's bad ass. A great villain. Maybe a little too great for the movie series.

The guy is too powerful, IMO, to fit in the Spidey movie universe. It really would take the series on a sharp left turn.

While I would LOVE to see Carnage in Spider-Man 4, that would also be a sharp left turn, and take the series from the family friendly PG movies to a hard R for all the violence and slasher death. It would be a GREAT movie, but from a financial standpoint I can't see them making a Spider-Man movie that is inappropriate for probably a third of their audience - and a movie that would probably turn off another third. To do the character right they'd have to do it like Carnage's first appearance where he's slaughtering people left and right - and that just wouldn't fly with parents, and a lot of others would be turned off by all the gore and death. It would also be very expensive.

But a Spider-Man VS Carnage movie - if scripted well - would be great artistically. It's a shame that we'll probably never see it.
Old 04-08-07, 10:54 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'd rather see Carnage.
Damn straight...
Old 04-08-07, 02:29 PM

Morlun could work, but not with Rami, hell he turned the GG2 into a paintballin' guy on a hover-board from Back To The Future.
Old 04-08-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see Lizard, Shocker, Vulture, Rhino or most other villians as leads. Maybe as an opening fight scene to set the stage, but not the whole movie. However, I could see Mysterio or Kraven play a great role as a whole movie villian, constantly dogging Spider-Man. I guess I need to see the third first to see how I feel about a fourth though.
Old 04-08-07, 03:30 PM
Banned

I hope to see Carnage in Spidey 4...

By the way I still kinda wish that the rumor of Larry David as Vulture was true...
Old 04-08-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What they need to do is do it like Indiana Jones...hash over a few turned down scripts for a number of years, wait until Toby is old enough to play Uncle Ben, then announce plans for Spider Man 4.
Old 04-08-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by groovrbaby
Did you read the post at all?
Whoops, sorry, just read the bolded parts...
Old 04-09-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I would like to see Scorpion and Kraven in Spidey 4. They could have a great three 3 fight between them. A lot of people mention Carnage, but for me he was a character that was never that interesting. I was not a big fan of Venom either for that matter. The Lizard is a character they can easily bring into the fold with Dr. Conners being in the movies, but again this is a villain that is not that interesting. It would be awesome if they kept the movies going until 6 and then have the Sinister Six fight against Spidey.
Old 04-09-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Still say that he doesn't get enough love.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.