Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Former KISS Guitarist, Mark St. John Dies

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Former KISS Guitarist MARK ST. JOHN Dead At 51 - Apr. 5, 2007

KNAC.COM is reporting that former KISS guitarist Mark St. John (photo) died this morning from a cerebral hemorrhage. He was 51 years old.

Acccording to KissFAQ.com, Mark St. John was born Mark Norton, in Hollywood, California, on February 7, 1956. His parents moved in the early 1960s to Garden Grove, CA where Mark was initially more interested in sports than music. In an interview with KISS Strike, Mark recalled, "I played all sports, in fact I played sports before I got into music. Especially basketball, I mean I tried all sports but basketball is what I excelled in. And when I got into high school we started playing CIF with other teams from L.A. and they were all black and I felt that I wasn't a very good basketball player. I mean they just slip and slide all over you, they jump higher and they run faster and you felt belittled after the first five minutes and I gave it up after that."

Growing up in Southern California, Mark didn't start playing guitar until he was a sophomore in highschool in 1972 when he also started to grow his hair longer, undoubtedly part of that age-group's rebellion from their parents and society. Initially guitar playing started as a hobby, but within a year Mark had become quite serious about it.

As to why he started plaing guitar, Mark recalled, "I guess because the guitar was the new thing happening — it was the sound. I'm from a generation that went through a whole different thing in music, like a culture-type thing. It was the voice of the people. It was a source of rebellion and the guitar was one of the biggest things. I remember watching television and seeing THE BEATLES and THE ROLLING STONES on the 'Ed Sullivan Show'. They didn't have tubas, they had guitars and everyone was going crazy and that put a spark in my mind... The guitar is rock 'n roll. That's what it's all about. From the '50s on, the emphasis was on the guitar sound. Everyone was trying to make the guitar sound like other instruments, but it's not so easy to make other instruments sound like the guitar. The guitar is what's happening"

Mark has a brother, Michael (born 1964), who plays bass. The two would be in bands together following Mark's tenure in KISS. They also have one sister (born 1960).
Old 04-05-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R.i.p.
Old 04-05-07, 08:25 PM
Banned

RIP, man.
Old 04-05-07, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Wow.
Old 04-05-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
R.i.p.
Old 04-05-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP. I know a lot of people hate 80's KISS, but I do think they had their moments in the 80's. I loved "Heaven's On Fire" and "I've Had Enough (Into The Fire)" from the Animalize album which Mark played on.
Old 04-05-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
No freaking way. That's sad news indeed.

If I remember right, it was a cerebral hemorrhage that took Eric Carr (after his long battle with cancer). If I am right, that's two KISS guys who have died from the same cause. Weird.

I hate to see anyone die that young.

Mark at least had the distinction of playing on KISS' best selling album of the last 27 years. He may not have fit in the band all that well, but he did offer up a "modern" lead guitar style that fit in with what was going on in 1984.

It's just sad, sad news. -R.I.P.

(And I'd put "Heaven's On Fire," and "I've Had Enough" up with any of KISS' songs - great stuff.)
Old 04-05-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which album did he play on?

on a side note, i was watching Millennium Season 3 last night and was surprised to see KISS guest starring in the episode called '13 years later'. They were playing Psycho Circus.
Old 04-05-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
which album did he play on?
he played on 1984's Animalize, which had "Heaven's On Fire" on it
Old 04-06-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
No freaking way. That's sad news indeed.

If I remember right, it was a cerebral hemorrhage that took Eric Carr (after his long battle with cancer). If I am right, that's two KISS guys who have died from the same cause. Weird.

I hate to see anyone die that young.
Seems like a lot of metal/hard rock guys die young of natural causes.

Evil Chuck, Piggy, Randy Castillo, Eric Carr, Paul Baloff, Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone, David Wayne, Dave Pritchard.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-06-07 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
rip
Old 04-07-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
RIP. I know a lot of people hate 80's KISS,

Not me it's definately my favorite period of music from them, Lick it up is my favorite kiss album along with Animalize.. Mark you were awesome.
Old 04-09-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huge KISS fan here, Mark, along with Eric Carr, is the only member I never got to meet. Animalize was a great album. Loved "Thrills In The Night"
Old 04-09-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbook
Not me it's definately my favorite period of music from them
Me too. Shame this guy never got a chance to shine.