Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Labyrinth of Passion (Almodovar)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The early Almodovar picture has been set for a June 25th UK release.

Pro-B
Old 06-18-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's next week, peoples! Any early reviews of this long-awaited title?
Old 06-18-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has this never been released (anywhere) before?
Old 06-18-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a Spanish disc I believe, and without English subs.
Old 06-19-07, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

eww man...looks like they've changed the artwork fro this AWSOME artwork:

to this RUBBISH artwork:

i wonder if Tartan will try to buy the rights to other Almodovare titles..
Old 06-19-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't mind the second artwork, but the best "source" they could find is someone's folded-up poster? Are those fold-lines supposed to be there?

Normally, I don't care quite so much as others. But we've seen some fine cover art for Almodovar DVDs -- Optimum's single-disc releases, especially, and Pathe and Sony to a somewhat lesser extent.
Old 06-19-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think that you are incorrect. That is a mistake. There is no way they'd release the DVD with the title in French on the cover.
Old 06-19-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well...the thing is...iam not sure,some retailers list the first artwork and some list the second.
Old 06-20-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first cover is much more in keeping with Optimum's fine, fine covers for early Almodovar titles like "Pepi, Luci, Bom...", "Dark Habits", and "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" (and "Kika", as well), so I suspect I'd prefer it on that basis. Hopefully the spine won't be ruined with big Tartan logos.

I've heard that the Weinstein's new company will be releasing a new "Dark Habits" disc in R1. Should I be encouraged?
Old 06-20-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I've heard that the Weinstein's new company will be releasing a new "Dark Habits" disc in R1. Should I be encouraged?
This early in the game i must say yes. From what I have seen so far, a total of three discs, all have been of exceptionally good quality. Days of Glory, though a recent film, looks absolutely stunning - very strong progressive print, and practically no issues of concern.

As to Dark Habits, a new release will likely but a better one. For two reasons: the old Wellspring disc is not properly sourced and cut.

Pro-B
Old 06-20-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah... the Wellspring "Dark Habits" is cut by as much as 14 minutes according to some sources! And the Optimum disc is reportedly very oddly framed at 1.94:1.
Old 06-21-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I just bought "Dark Habits" a month or so ago.
Old 06-21-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As far as I can tell the Wellspring version is considerably longer than any other available version right now.
Old 06-22-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner
As far as I can tell the Wellspring version is considerably longer than any other available version right now.
Are you talking about "Dark Habits"? I haven't personally seen the disc, but am going on the first Amazon review on this page (scroll down): http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Habits-Li...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

BEWARE!! THIS IS AN EDITED VERSION!!, December 7, 2003
By Rob Ez (Chicago) - See all my reviews

I must foremost thank Wellspring, the distributor of this film, for releasing this Almodóvar masterpiece on DVD..however..I am not sure who was behind this release..but, being familiar with the original release of this film..I was shocked and perplexed for the fact that this DVD issue is an EDITED version, cutting off approx. 15 mins of this film. I dont know WHy they did this, or what...I felt they cut off some important scenes..

#1..Yolana Bell's opening number, where we first see her performing..she did a song called "Dime" (which is in fact, a Spanish version of Morris Albert's "Feelings")

#2. a conversation among the Redeeming sisters and a redeemed girl from the past, where they run into each other on the Sister's outdoor stand, where they sell cakes, flowers and peppers.

#3. The Sisters' explaining to nuns from their mother chapter, that they had been robbed, talking it over the punch bowl. Also cutting off a funny line, where the sisters gossip over a younger nun, saying that "she's far to pretty for this vocation, but time will take care of that"

#4. A small bit of Sister Rat From Sewer's opening speech before Yolanda's performance for the Mother Superior's birthday party. in this DVD issue, they go straight to Sister Rat talking on stage, completely taking out her peeking out from the curtain and quieting down the crowd.

but ultimately, I am happy that this movie saw the light of day AGAIN, it had been out of print on video for years..so, its a great buy, but be bewared that it's edited. If u have never seen this movie before, then it wont be a problem. Hardcore fans like myself might have a problem.
The Amazon specs do claim this to be 115 minutes, but a poster (Lino) at criterionforum.org adds the following: "The page on Imdb.com states the running time as 114 minutes and this Digitally Obsessed review indicates that the Wellspring DVD is only 100 minutes long, which corroborates the fact that it does seem to be cut. I can only think that it must have been for music copyright and censorship reasons seeing that they cut the musical numbers out of it and other dirtier parts."
Old 07-03-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, no one's yet taken the plunge on Tartan's "Labyrinth of Passion"?
Old 07-03-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
So, no one's yet taken the plunge on Tartan's "Labyrinth of Passion"?
Because of you...

I will specifically request this one for review....

How's that?

Pro-B
Old 07-05-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Because of you...

I will specifically request this one for review....

How's that?

Pro-B
That's... that's just beautiful!

Do you request from xploited? If it's any help, I hope they know that all those pricey New Star Angelopoulos DVDs I purchased from them were the result of your reviews. And I suspect you also had a hand in convincing me to shell out for the (also pricey) German "High Heels" disc. I couldn't be more satisfied with any of 'em!
Old 07-05-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ok Rich......glad you liked your discs.

As soon as I catch up...will have a review.

Pro-B