Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The next live DVD from QUEEN will be....

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Montreal '81. Yes, this is the exact same concert that has been previously released as "We Will Rock You" on VHS/DVD but now that Queen own the rights to it, they're putting out their own version which I'm sure will please Brian May to no end as he has gone on and on about hating the surround sound mix on that last DVD. However I don't think they'll be able to improve on the last DVDs pristine video quality, it looked stunning.

I do think this is a shame though with other concerts waiting in the wings for DVD treatment, they give us a concert millions of folks already own but now it's the "Brian May approved" version. *yawn*

For me to buy this (again) they had better give us a 2 disc set with some nifty bonus features. About the only thing that has me interested right now will be the companion CD release of the show.

No word on whether they will keep the "We Will Rock You" title or come up with a new name yet.
Old 04-03-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would buy in to a new version with loads of extras....
Old 04-03-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Yes, already own it but would be willing to think about a double-dip depending on what they come up with.
Old 08-03-07, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and the official info:

QUEEN ROCK MONTREAL

Pack Shots

On 29 October 2007, Eagle Rock Entertainment simultaneously release two incredible DVDs capturing the incomparable Queen in their pomp as the world’s biggest band at a sold out show in 1981 at Montreal’s 18,000-seater Forum. The single DVD is "Queen Rock Montreal" and there is a special edition double DVD “Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid” [Cat Nos EREDV444 and EREDV666 respectively]. The live CD/LP from the concert is released on the same date on EMI with HD-DVD and Blu-ray versions to follow in November through Eagle.

Following their record-breaking South American tour, the Montreal shows on 24 and 25 November 1981 were to be the only concerts by Queen ever shot on film – indeed they were the first group to shoot an entire show in full cinema format 35mm. These releases offer the best ever sound and picture quality on a Queen concert release. Always a great live band, with two years non-stop touring behind them and Freddie Mercury in front of them, Queen excelled themselves with the cameras rolling. The footage has been digitally restored from the original film and the sound has been newly mixed and mastered for DTS Surround Sound and PCM Stereo from the original multi-track tapes.

“Hello Montreal...long time no see. You wanna get crazy?” asks Freddie as the band tear into their alternative ‘fast’ version of We Will Rock You, and from there on Queen show their hard rock roots, slowing down only for Love of My Life and the more mid-tempo Under Pressure, notably being performed live for the first time in this concert.

TRACKLISTING
1) Intro
2) We Will Rock You (fast)
3) Let Me Entertain You
4) Play The Game
5) Somebody To Love
6) Killer Queen
7) I’m In Love With My Car
8) Get Down Make Love
9) Save Me
10) Now I’m Here
11) Dragon Attack
12) Now I’m Here (reprise)
13) Love Of My Life
14) Under Pressure
15) Keep Yourself Alive
16) Drum & Timpani Solo
17) Guitar Solo
18) Crazy Little Thing Called Love
19) Jailhouse Rock
20) Bohemian Rhapsody
21) Tie Your Mother Down
22) Another One Bites The Dust
23) Sheer Heart Attack
24) We Will Rock You
25) We Are The Champions
26) God Save The Queen

TRACKLISTING (Double Disc Live Aid footage)
Live Aid:
1) Bohemian Rhapsody
2) Radio Gaga
3) Hammer To Fall
4) Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5) We Will Rock You
6) We Are The Champions
7) Is This The World We Created

The real joy to be had in watching Freddie, Brian, Roger and John performing here is that, unlike any other Queen concert film available, this delivers raw Queen. This is before the Hot Space album, before keyboards would find a place in the band’s touring line up; this is simply four musicians in total cohesion.

Originally titled, “We Will Rock You”, this film was first launched at the Cannes Film Festival in May 1983 - as only Queen could. It was then released in North America (September 1984), becoming the first commercially available film of Queen in concert. For this special edition, the picture has been digitally restored from the original 35mm negative.

The double disc release offers the incredible bonus of a slew of Live Aid features and performances. Regularly polled as the greatest live performance of all time, Queen’s mighty Live Aid show at 6.44pm on July 13, 1985, is here in full. In addition to the set that reinforced Queen’s position as unrivalled rock entertainers, Freddie and Brian’s performance later in the evening of the poignant “Is This The World We Created” is included. Also featured are 11 minutes of never before seen Live Aid rehearsal footage, plus a rehearsal interview with the band. In addition, there’s the curiosity value of a 1982 news feature from US TV series PM Magazine. Brian May and Roger Taylor bring the story up to date with a brand new audio commentary on the Montreal concert.

Both these releases offer extraordinary footage of one if the greatest acts of all time, recorded at the height of the powers. Truly, Rock royalty.

Product information:

Release date: October 29, 2007

Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid [Eagle] - Special Edition 2 DVD set
Running Time: 138 mins approx

Queen Rock Montreal [Eagle] – Single DVD.
Running Time: 95 minutes.

Queen Rock Montreal [UK, Parlophone] – Double CD Cat No: 5 04047 2

Queen Rock Montreal [UK, Parlophone] – Triple LP Cat No: 5 04047 1
No word on a US release.