The Riches - "Been There, Done That" - 4/02/07

Old 04-02-07, 02:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
The Riches - "Been There, Done That" - 4/02/07

"Been There, Done That"
Spoiler:
Doug's ex-wife comes after Wayne for missed alimony payments, and Wayne has to fix things before she blows their cover.
Old 04-03-07, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everyone give up already? i did.
Old 04-04-07, 12:25 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I was watching the NCAA championship game last night and have it recorded, haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
Old 04-04-07, 01:55 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm caught up now, really like it, but hate FX and how they cut off shows all the time! bastards...

Love izzard and driver, prefer it when the comedic side of it over the serious stuff.
Old 04-04-07, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the first episode, and have the other three saved ready to watch, but I am not sure that I will keep watching. The show was entertaining enough, but it didn't blow me away, and I really don't like Minnie Driver. I'll check with these threads to see what others think, but from what I have read elsewhere, most people are not crazy about the show.
Old 04-04-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I'm liking the show alright, but the shtick with having to lie all the time is getting old already - especially with Izzard's character pretending to be a lawyer - I don't care how good of a grifter you are, you can't fake that for more than a day.
Old 04-04-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I'm caught up now, really like it, but hate FX and how they cut off shows all the time! bastards...

Love izzard and driver, prefer it when the comedic side of it over the serious stuff.

What shows have they cut other than Lucky, Over There and Starved?
Old 04-04-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I saw the first episode, and have the other three saved ready to watch, but I am not sure that I will keep watching. The show was entertaining enough, but it didn't blow me away, and I really don't like Minnie Driver. I'll check with these threads to see what others think, but from what I have read elsewhere, most people are not crazy about the show.

you are basing whether or not you will continue with this show off of a pilot and what other people say?

almost every pilot i see i dont really like. pilots generally stink. they have to set up an entire series.

i am by no means defending this show either. i havent watched this weeks episode yet but have been becoming more and more disinterested.

i like izzard and even like minnie driver (especially with the new pilates bod) but the show just isnt clicking with me.
Old 04-04-07, 04:36 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
What shows have they cut other than Lucky, Over There and Starved?
I meant the bizarre start/end times, they are all over the place

for example this last episode recorded on my dvr.

1st episode was 1Hour long.
2nd showing of the episode was 1 hour 8 mins long.

I watched the 1st one 1/2 hour delayed, and it cut off the end of the ep
all I saw was minnie in the bedroom looking for stuff.

2nd showing had the entire ep.

when I would watch Sunny in Philly the same thing would happen all the time.
Old 04-04-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I watched the 1st one 1/2 hour delayed, and it cut off the end of the ep...when I would watch Sunny in Philly the same thing would happen all the time.
That sounds like a problem with the schedule your DVR uses. My DVR recorded the first airing of the most recent ep perfectly. It's recorded all the episodes fine, I didn't even notice they went over except for the first ep, which was noticeably 15 mins longer than an hour.

As for the show, judging it on the first episode would give you the wrong impression of the show. The pilot was much more somber and dark than the rest of the series has been so far, and they've introduced a lot more comedy into the show, like in this ep when Minnie Driver realizes after talking for a few minutes to the welcoming committee from "temple," that the family they're impersonating is Jewish, and has to scramble to explain her crucifix necklace.

I also like how in each ep they've had to pull small cons to keep their large con going.

Even though they've lightened the show up a bit, it's still much more a drama than it is a comedy, and while it's entertaining, the narrative hasn't really grabbed me like some of the stronger serial shows do. Still, I'm going to stick with it for the time being.
Old 04-05-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing that gets me with this show is that I care for the characters so I keep watching... This gets compared alot to Big Love, and the thing is with that show its the opposite. I really could care less about the characters, but the story is what keeps me coming back for that one. I think this show will start to hit its stride in the story department soon though.
Old 04-05-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the show, its probably in the top three just behind Heroes and My Name is Earl. Izzard is great.
Old 04-06-07, 12:36 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to underline that this is NOT a comedy. Also that it's based on a true story. There are many stories of con men pretending to be lawyers, doctors or many other skilled professions for years before they were caught (ahem ... make that if they were caught). The show has gone into a small holding pattern but has definitely now set the stage for future fireworks.
Old 04-06-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I liked this episode more than the last one.
Old 04-06-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone heard what FX thinks of its ratings so far? I hope this lasts longer than Thief.
Old 04-09-07, 03:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Finally had a chance to watch this. I really like their neighbors. Nina telling Wayne that she hasn't had sex in years and stroking the mug handle like she was jacking it off was hilarious.
Old 04-14-07, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm liking the show alright, but the shtick with having to lie all the time is getting old already - especially with Izzard's character pretending to be a lawyer - I don't care how good of a grifter you are, you can't fake that for more than a day.
If they had to stop lying all the time, the show would be over. That's the freaking premise. That's like saying, "I like Sopranos all right but the shtick of Tony being in the mob is getting old already."

I got caught up on the show tonight with the FX marathon...I am sorry I've been missing this! Pretty good show. I hope the show lasts long enough to have a series finale...I'd like to see where these characters take this.