Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon's random price fluctuations

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-01-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

What's with Amazon.com's seemingly random price fluctuations? Is the DVD market this fluid?
I've ordered 4 DVDs from them in the past month and a half (one preorder), and on one of them, the price has been 6.99, 7.99, and 8.99 (I paid 8.99); the other has been 17.49, 17.99, 18.49, 18.99 and I think 19.49 or 19.99 (I paid 18.49).
I got them to credit me back the 2.00 difference on the first one, and the lowest I caught the second one at within the 30 days is 17.99, so I got them to credit that back as well (it's now 17.49).
I know DVDs drop in price pretty quickly sometimes, but this yoyoing is a little odd, and raises questions, especially given the targeted pricing they were alleged to do a few years back (do they raise the price if the item starts selling more? do they drop it if sales flag? do they raise it, or lower it, the more I "browse" that page? do they lower the prices on related items to spur impulse purchases?).
It's just a little unnerving.
I guess the moral is once you buy something from them, keep checking the page, and call them on their "post order price guarantee".
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html
Hmm, followup question: if I ordered two items, totalling 25.00, and got free SSS; then did a POPG to get some money back, would I now be charged shipping?
Old 04-01-07, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Hmm, followup question: if I ordered two items, totalling 25.00, and got free SSS; then did a POPG to get some money back, would I now be charged shipping?
No, you wouldn't.

I enter all my Amazon purchase into http://www.priceprotectr.com/

It works great and I have caught quite a few price drops after my order has shipped. Got refunded the difference on all of them.
Old 04-16-07, 10:56 AM

I ordered a GPS receiver and price varied from $550 to $610 for the week I watched it. It was like a roller coaster with the price going up and down.

And yes, they did issue a credit for the lowest price after I ordered it.
Old 04-28-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
So I should wait till 29 days or so after it shipped to contact them?
Here's the two scenarios I'm concerned about.
Product is 27.00 when ordered and shipped.
Product drops to 26.00 on (ship plus 5). I request and receive a credit.
Product drops to 23.00 on (ship plus 10). *Can I request an additional credit*?
Product increases to 28.00 on (ship plus 29). *Can I contact Amazon and say "Between Ship and (Ship +30), the lowest price was 23.00, please credit me 4.00" (assuming I had a screen shot of the lowest price) and expect them to do it?

I do have my items in Priceprotectr, that is pretty cool.
Old 04-28-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems that Amazon and other e-tailers (especially Buy.com) are using a form of yield management software similar to airline seat pricing. If something moves they raise the price, if not they lower the price point.